cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

haguuhar
I Plan to Stick Around

I just changed from a hybrid fibre 30 (with CGN2 modem) to the Rogers Ignite 60 (with the CGN3ACSMR modem). I'm not sure why, but I now get firewall errors when I try to load up the game. The internet works fine, other than the specific case in the game. Does anyone know what is happening, or how to fix it? I have tried port forwarding, turning the modem into bridge mode, even disabling the router's firewall. None of these options have fixed the problem.

*Edited Labels***

768 REPLIES 768

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

ww87617
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks so much for the update. Please keep us posted and we will really appreciate it.

Keep up the good work. I called bell and almost switched over to bell due to this issue.

Nice to see Rogers actually working hard to resolve the issue. Will stay with Rogers then!

🙂

mfriers
I Plan to Stick Around
When will this interim solution be ready because this is really frustrating me and i have recently got banned from my favorite game because of these disconnects and not able to connect to their servers?

dfchen168
I've Been Around

same  problem,holy this really sucks, getting ban and unable to climb the rank.

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
Just a head's up for the AC version users. Make sure you set up port forwarding on

Both tcp/udp for these ports :

5000-5500
8394-8400

I find I connect more frequently with them active than without. Ratio today was 4 out of 10 connected on first try. Hope this helps while the techs work on the firmware release, which is great news I hear... Apparently lol is not crashing due to firewall in their current testing... : )

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks Datalink and GDKITTY for the info. My wife and I's Samsung Glaze S5's connect to my 5 ghz signal but my daughters iPhone 4s only sees the 2.4 ghz signal which is fine. The modem kicks some speed azz so I don't wanna trade just yet... Where do I look to see if the firmware update their working on is ready??? Do I manually upgrade by resetting or how does that work. I honestly don't know much about Modem's...CGN3 AC version is what I have. With the LOL firewall issues 😉

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
Galaxy of course... not glaze.

Apoth
I Plan to Stick Around

Just bookmarking this to get updates, as I have fallen into the "LoL can't get into games 95% of the time" group now that I upgraded. I'm currently on software version 4.4.8.14 is that makes a difference. 

Bubba2390
I've Been Here Awhile

I hear you, I'm having the same issues. Watching livestream sports and gaming are my primary source of entertainment atm, i would have reconsidered going with someone else if i knew their only router option for the ignite packages ironically wouldn't let you play the biggest online games out there. I'll keep F5ing this page and revisiting it to see if the issues are being worked out, or if there is a temporary fix that doesn't involve me taking a day driving around trying to find routers that aren't even sold anymore, and most likely spending more money that wasn't my fault to begin with. 

keithloo
I've Been Here Awhile

While we're at it... anyone else getting weird Port Forwards automatically added to the modem?

I keep on deleting the Teredo and Skype port forwards, but they automatically appear back on the modem. I'm not sure if I'm being hacked or if this is normal. I've found some instances of this online, but nobody has been able to confirm what's going on.

My guess would be that you have Skype and Teredo tunnelling for IPV6 running.  If you bring up the Task Manager (Control - Alt -Delete) and go to the Startup Tab, you will probably see Skype listed in the Startup Application list.  If you don't want Skype to start when you start your computer, you could disable it.  I'm not sure what affect this will have when you actually go to start Skype as it may give you a warning that some service component is not running.  You may have to experiment with that. 

For the Teredo tunnelling have a look at the following thread:

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/10090/is-teredo-in-my-router-a-back-door

Thats an interesting thread as it also points to UPNP as a possible reason that the tunnel ports are being set.

I suspect that if you turned off IPV6 on your laptops and PCs that would kill the tunnelling ports.  Navigate to Control Panel.....Network and Sharing Center....Change Adapter Settings (left side) .....Select the ethernet and / or wireless adapter and right click to bring up the menu......Select Properties to bring up the Ethernet or Wireless Properties Panel.  Scroll down to the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and deselect it.  Hit Ok, and then close all of the open panels and reboot the pc.  You will probably have to do this with all of your devices.  The laptop IPV6 will have that setting on both the wired and wireless controllers.

Edit;  Also consider whether or not you really want UPNP running on the modem.  I normally advise everyone to disable it in order to prevent any rogue application from changing modem or router settings without your knowledge.  Unless you really need it, you should disable it, which would prevent the Skype and Teredo tunnelling port forwarding from reinstating themselves.  You would have to manually setup any port forwarding when UPNP is disabled.

Give those a go and see if they solve the problem.

dtan97
I've Been Here Awhile
Hello all, I too have been without a proper League experience for the better part of 3 weeks since I signed up for the 100 ignite with the Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem. I read the 14 pages of this forum and have exact issues as most of these people. I have tried port forwarding and everything that was either said here or LoLs troubleshooting page or during calls I've had with Rogers. I however am able to connect to the LoL games after several attempts to reconnect after i receive the 'firewall' error after champion select in game. What I do is to constantly reconnect which would take about 5-10 minutes.. And depending on whether the other players have connected as well (I am assuming), I would either connect right as the game starts or 5-10 minutes in game. This has worked every time I've attempted a game today, about 8 games. I would however get a Leaverbuster notice which makes me wait 10 minutes before I can queue up for a game. Not sure if this helps, but I just wanted to share my experience with this new modem. I appreciate Rogers updating us and would appreciate it even more if this was solved soon. Thanks.

orcduchaos
I've Been Around

I too changed for a CGN3ACSMR about 2 weeks ago. First of, I was very happy with the service at ROGERS and everything was great. But recently I got into League of Legends again and I find it very upsetting to have to chase around for an older modem to make the game work. Especially that I already had to run by my neighbors and ask them if they minded having a wire up their trees for 6-8 weeks...

Is there any way I can 'not' have a Hitron Technologies modem and keep my plan with ROGERS?

I just contacted them to show my disappointment (only to make myself feel better) and I must say that I don't want to encourage that company anymore. For an oversea company that established itself 4 years ago in the USA, they are not making a great first impression; company that has been in this business for 29 years.

eko1991
I've Been Here Awhile

i had a rogers high speed internet for a year now and thought i would get the new modem to increase the wireless speed to 5ghz. But now i cant play my favorite game at all. What kind of a service provider makes such an error since this particular game has gottan so famous in the last few years? I know so many people that play this game. Heck riot games even held the biggest e-sports event ever in human freaking history. If i were a service provider i would even include automatic leauge of legends port forwarding option in my modems. This kind of gaming communities are getting bigger and bigger evry day so rogers should recognize them and at least test their upgrade with these most popular games in mind. But i have an impression that rogers is so powerful in the market that they do not care as much as they should be for their customers. I think this problem must be fixed as soon as possible. If you google this problem you can see hundreds of people discussing it. 

@eko1991 wrote:

i had a rogers high speed internet for a year now and thought i would get the new modem to increase the wireless speed to 5ghz. But now i cant play my favorite game at all. What kind of a service provider makes such an error since this particular game has gottan so famous in the last few years? I know so many people that play this game. Heck riot games even held the biggest e-sports event ever in human freaking history. If i were a service provider i would even include automatic leauge of legends port forwarding option in my modems. This kind of gaming communities are getting bigger and bigger evry day so rogers should recognize them and at least test their upgrade with these most popular games in mind. But i have an impression that rogers is so powerful in the market that they do not care as much as they should be for their customers. I think this problem must be fixed as soon as possible. If you google this problem you can see hundreds of people discussing it. 

One thing you need to understand as well though..  while yes, this is a MAJOR thing to fix, and should be fixed ASAP..
Fixes are not always EASY (just as the programmers of LoL, WoW, SC, or any other game).   A fix is not always an on/off switch type thing.   1/2 the time when you try to apply a fix for something, there is a chance it will break something else.  So sure it might fix LoL, but break someone elses experience on something else.

@orcduchaos wrote:

I too changed for a CGN3ACSMR about 2 weeks ago. First of, I was very happy with the service at ROGERS and everything was great. But recently I got into League of Legends again and I find it very upsetting to have to chase around for an older modem to make the game work. Especially that I already had to run by my neighbors and ask them if they minded having a wire up their trees for 6-8 weeks...

Is there any way I can 'not' have a Hitron Technologies modem and keep my plan with ROGERS?

I just contacted them to show my disappointment (only to make myself feel better) and I must say that I don't want to encourage that company anymore. For an oversea company that established itself 4 years ago in the USA, they are not making a great first impression; company that has been in this business for 29 years.

Unfortunately, at least at this point, no there arent other options.
As much per 'policy'.. when the new plans, etc are set up on their systems, they are sort of coded.. that for them to apply that new plan to an account, if it does not list the hitron ones in there, it will not let the plan be applied.  So its not just something that can be overwritten.

There is some technical reasoning behind going to them..
Rogers in the past, always got the complaints of slowdowns especially durring peak times.  This was congetstion.  everyone was fighting on the same frequency for space.  This is why they went to the D3 series modems period.  They introduces 4, 8, etc channel modems.  More lanes, less chance of congestion.

Now with many of the newer and much faster plans, demading more speed continually... congestion can start happening again. (often the reason you dont see 100+mbps plans on providers who do not have 24 channel modems). 
So having these help elivate that.

While the other older modems would work per say.. it would technically be able to handle the speeds, etc... there is a good chance of congestion possibly again.

eko1991
I've Been Here Awhile

i do understand the problem with fixing an issue without creating some more. I just wanted to point out the importance of online gaming side while programing a new modem software. It is something that should not be overlooked and this issue right now should be an example of how not to mess up again. Maybe i am writing like this because i am upset with it personally but i do also thing that it must be a major malfunction overall. I simply dont think that online gaming is a marginal thing.

Bubba2390
I've Been Here Awhile

ok so not sure this will help anyone else out, but i might have figured out a temporary fix/bypass. As i was able to get into games all but once this weekend and played quite a few games. Just get a vpn and turn it on before you sign onto the game. I tried both surfeasy vpn and hotspot shield and both worked for me each time  without recieving a firewall issue/crash. I switched ran out of their free data limit on surfeasy so i switched to hotspot shield switched over the hotspot shield which is free. Dunno how or why but it will put you into the game as an american and shouldn't have any issues... Just don't forget to turn it off after playin cause it might mess with other programs/accounts that assume you are on Canadian geography. The only down side is if like lower ping you will be sitting higher then what should be at 100/250 mb/s and will be around 120 ping (i'm in Toronto). Good luck, hopefully this isn't a long term solution.

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
Wow... I'll give Hotspot a try. I use that program to watch American CMT.Redneck Island, love that show. Will post results !!!

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around

2 for 2 on 1st time connects !!! 🙂 3 for 3... 4 for 4... think this is a great temp fix 🙂

Oh yeah... I'm in Binbrook, On and my ping went from 72 to 112 in League which is still phenomenal.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats interesting results.

Definately means its a ROUTING thing.. since going through a VPN, would be routing a different path.

Its just interesing, that generally, the routing should be global across rogers as a whole.

odd that on the ONE is having an issue.. its like it cant read the routing table for that site for some reason.

mfriers
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried downloading Hotspot and it gives me and error on the install. I went to quite a few sites to download it and all with the same result. Where did you get your download from????