cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

haguuhar
I Plan to Stick Around

I just changed from a hybrid fibre 30 (with CGN2 modem) to the Rogers Ignite 60 (with the CGN3ACSMR modem). I'm not sure why, but I now get firewall errors when I try to load up the game. The internet works fine, other than the specific case in the game. Does anyone know what is happening, or how to fix it? I have tried port forwarding, turning the modem into bridge mode, even disabling the router's firewall. None of these options have fixed the problem.

*Edited Labels***

768 REPLIES 768

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

ww87617
I've Been Here Awhile

The old version two modem had no problem. switched to this new rocket modem and problem!!!!

call rogers and they said disable firewall will work.. nop!

I also did everything i can find in LOL website and google and youtube.

No luck~

Please rogers fix this! somebody foward this post to managment, thanks!!!

Wolftrap
I've Been Around

I'm also in this boat... what a pain.

Mousepad
I Plan to Stick Around

I've got the same problem among problems with other applications that I've never experienced a problem with before switching to rogers from bell and it's really quite annoying. 

Using a VPN hosted from my dedicated server fixes my connection issues to league of legends but it's really quite annoying that I'm required to do so. I hope they push out a firmware update soon. I'm dishing out all this money for stuff that barely works. 

If you are on the ACSMR model, if you can find one, i would try to switch down to the regular CGN3.
Can provide the speeds.. and doesnt appear to have the same issues with LoL at least.

Otherwise, almost everyone seems to have issues with the NAT on both of them, with things from VOIP adapters, game systems, etc.

Bridging with a 3rd party router.. will give much better control and have those things work
(unfortunately doesnt appear to fix the LoL issues)

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow ... This is insane !!! I have the same Rogers AC modem.... Firewall eror exactly. Takes about 4-9 tries to get back into a game after it crashes just like you. Can't believe the issues with this modem. Need to find a fix fast, I'm pulling my hair out, not to mention the fact I have been Leaverbusted 3 times now in one week since I got the modem. I love the speed, but no compatibilty with LOL is not worth it to me... Help please

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
Make that 6 !!!

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
I feel your pain... I'm in the same boat as we speak !!!

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
Same here... One in every 10 games will connect !!!

osuman
I'm Here A Lot

Just call nearby rogers stores, ask  if they have CGN3 aka Advanced modem, and go exchange this garbage ACSMR for it.

The issue has been present for at least 3 weeks and there is still no fix.

keithloo
I've Been Here Awhile

Sadly, it's happening to me too...

Rogers - please resolve this. I may need to migrate away if this isn't resolved promptly.

Thanks

Nur
I'm Here A Lot

Having the same exact problem with Rogers.  I really hope I don't have to go back to Bell...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned.. unless you are 100% stuck on needing the AC portion of the router..

Call around to your local rogers stores.. and swap for the regular CGN3.  It does not appear to have these issues, and can do the exact same speeds

Valkoria
I've Been Around

I just picked up the same modem today after switching to a new service. I have the same problem, league of legends is unplayable. I don't play the game very often so not being able to isnt a huge bother, but how long does something like this generally take to fix? I don't know anything about how modems work but this seems like a huge oversight.

CX2DUBCAKES
I Plan to Stick Around
GDKITTY. .. What exactly is the difference between the two??? I don't know if I need the AC aspect of it or not ...

@Valkoria wrote:

I just picked up the same modem today after switching to a new service. I have the same problem, league of legends is unplayable. I don't play the game very often so not being able to isnt a huge bother, but how long does something like this generally take to fix? I don't know anything about how modems work but this seems like a huge oversight.

How long? Could be quite a while unfortunately.  Its not a direct firewall or other issue.. it something likely that a FIRMWARE update needs to be made for it.
These cant just be done by rogers.. it has to be done joint between rogers and Hitron..
They first need to find WHAT is causing it.
Write something to FIX it.
Put that in place and TEST it... dont want it to break 10 other things by fixing the one.

Then could be released.... but all that takes time.

There are different types/speeds of wireless connectivity out there.

- b - generally dont find this one much anymore, generally max 11mbps

- g - still around somewhat - generally max 54mbps

- n - most common - 100-300+ mbps

- ac - newest.

AC is the newest.. some devices may  have it.. some may not.  Most newer phones tend to... laptops.. can be hit and miss depending on how cheap of a wireless card they put in it.
There are a number of flavors of AC (1750, 1900, etc)  more and more capable speed as you go up.

If you are buying your OWN router.. i say sure, go out and spend the extra on an AC router.. futureproof yourself, etc.

But generally in MOST cases.. N will do fine.  Depending on your PLAN.. N should be able to handle most of the speed.
If you are on the 250 plan... N MIGHT work.. but thats assuming you have an N capable card of doing that fast to begin with, etc.
Generally, in my opinion, N should serve most people for their internet.. unless they are trying to max out the MAX speed on the HIGHEST rogers plan, over wireless.  (which i think is silly.. you really want to gaurantee your speed, do wired)

@CX2DUBCAKES

The main difference between the modems should be the 802.11ac capability of the CGN3ACSMR which uses the 5 Ghz band. You would need to review your devices to determine which ones use 802.11n and which are 802.11 ac / n capable for 5 Ghz networks.

If you use a 2.4 Ghz network heavily, then you will be interested in keeping the SMR version. The main drawback with the CGN3 is its inability to handle mixed devices on the 2.4 Ghz networks. If you run a mixture of dual antenna, dual data stream laptops (which is typical), with any single antenna, single data stream device at the same time such as some cell phones and USB Wifi dongles, the CGN3 locks down to the slowest data rate of all of the connected devices, which will bring the higher data rate laptops to a crawl. The CGN3 does not have the capability to switch data rates to accomodate the various devices. The CGNV4 on the other hand, ie: the CGN3AC and CGN3ACSMR should use co-existence mechanisms to operate the same device mixture at their rated data rates. The CGNV4 has been tested and rated as co-existence capable by the Wifi Alliance.

RogersGordon
Product Manager
Product Manager
Hi All and thanks for your patience throughout this issue. The good news is that new code is currently being tested and we have not received the firewall error in connecting to LoL.
We are also working with the vendor to reach an interim solution until that code is ready to deploy.
I understand the frustration and appreciate the input and co-operation from everybody on this thread.

Nice to see progress on the issue and the update.  Please keep the updates coming on this issue and on the latency issue with the CGN3 series modems.  You will have an appreciative audience 🙂   Fwiw, updates should be posted up top, in the internet section as a locked item that is plainly visible when you look at the post titles.  Hopefully that would grab peoples attention.

Awesome, thanks for the update. Will that update also help alleviate the ping/disconnection problems? I understand that it can be fixed by bridging but I don't see why I should go out and buy a brand new router when the one I've been given should be working correctly

Thanks again for the update it's really appreciated

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

disconects may be a different thing.

I am running the CGN3, which suffers from the same ping jumps.  BUT i dont ever get disconected from the games i play.

While generally i agree, that one shouldnt have to get their own 3rd party router..
You look at any of the OTHER options for ISPs.. all the 3rd party ones, etc.. .almost none of them provide gateways..
Why?  They just arent up to par... not just canada.. US any one that uses them.. all report sub par performance.
They are on par with a cheap $30-50 router..  they work... kind of... just not great.
You want better performance.. you really need to get the device which has it 😞