cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

haguuhar
I Plan to Stick Around

I just changed from a hybrid fibre 30 (with CGN2 modem) to the Rogers Ignite 60 (with the CGN3ACSMR modem). I'm not sure why, but I now get firewall errors when I try to load up the game. The internet works fine, other than the specific case in the game. Does anyone know what is happening, or how to fix it? I have tried port forwarding, turning the modem into bridge mode, even disabling the router's firewall. None of these options have fixed the problem.

*Edited Labels***

768 REPLIES 768

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

@RogersGordon

If you look back at post 77, the bottom tracert is MINE from a BELL connection.

MrPolytime
I'm Here A Lot

I don't know if this warrant a new post, but modem is also creating serious latency issues with Hearthstone on PC. I just moved in to my new place and got the 100mbs package and which came with the CGN3ACSMR modem.

jordanmkasla200
I've Been Here Awhile

I logged a successful connection to the League of Legends NA server as well as an unsuccessful attempt.  What i found is that all the communications the Game Client makes are over UDP, including establishing the connection to the game server. During the unsuccessful attempts it would appear that the CGN3ACSMR is rejecting an alarming number of UDP packets from the port range used by League of Legends as these packets don't make it past the modem. Because of the nature of UDP any packets lost or rejected while establishing a game connection can have an overwhelming negative impact on the Game Client's ability to establish a game connection and results in the "Firewall Error" as noted by the OP.

@MrPolytime wrote:

I don't know if this warrant a new post, but modem is also creating serious latency issues with Hearthstone on PC. I just moved in to my new place and got the 100mbs package and which came with the CGN3ACSMR modem.

Your not the first person saying it..

I currently have the regular CGN3, and have no lag issues on the CGN3.

Unless the AC wireless is absolutely necessary.. (which you would get better AC from a 3rd party router anyways).
I really think at this point, people jumping down to the regular CGN3 may be the better option.
(Its identical to the other one, just only N wireless, the modem part is identical.)

OK.. so that makes some sense.

Likely the NAT or FIREWALL is too strong.

You can try droping the firewall strength in the settings, i beleive (if its the same as the regular CGN3)

have you tried PORT FORWARDING then for the port ranges used for LoL?

that SHOULD then allow those to pass through.

May require setting up a STATIC IP for your specific PC your playing on.

That has all been tried, except for maybe static LAN addresses.  @jordanmkasla200's post brings up a question.  Why would the CGN3ACSMR accept UDP packets one time, and not the next?

Looking at the LOL port forwarding requirements, port 80 is identified as one that requires forwarding.  Reaing through a Shaw post this morning, there appear to be a few ports with known issues when it comes to port fowarding, including port 80.  From the Shaw post:

Current known port issues:

This is for the CGNM-2250, which is Shaws version of the CGNV4, which is the CGNACR and CGNACSMR used by Rogers.  Here is the link to the Shaw post:

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/30560

80 SHOULD be allowed by default.. thats a normal HTTP stream.
You would have a TON more issues if it was that blocked.

443, for secure.. makes sense..

22... thats the one that makes me thing that it might be the culprit?

People here have tried doing their own forwarding on 22.. with no luck.  Its reserved, i beleive.. as the rogers management port?

sbenninger
I Plan to Stick Around

Port 22 is typically used for Secure Shell Access(SSH). I doubt it would have anything to do with LoL issues though. 

Even if Rogers used port 22 for remote access it would be on the internal management interface and not the external interface but it does seem as if there is an issue with the NAT/port forwarding stack when it comes to management ports.

80, 443 and 22 will most likely have management services listening on those ports on one interface or another but why you couldnt port forward External port 80 to an internal host on port 80 seems to be a fw bug all the way. There could also be hidden firewall rules on the management side preventing access to those listening ports on the external interface as a security measure. Perhaps those rules are still affecting traffic even in bridge mode. Would have to do some port scans in and out of bridge mode to be sure.

Also just remembered these gateways have some form of IDS on them. Perhaps the IDS is causing the problem? Has anyone checked the security log on the gateway to see if the IDS is blocking traffic? Likewise perhaps the IDS is not disabling properly in bridge mode as well?

Here are the ports required for port forwarding by Riot:

5000 - 5500 UDP (League of Legends Game Client)

8393 - 8400 TCP (Patcher and Maestro)

2099 TCP (PVP.Net)

5223 TCP (PVP.Net)

5222 TCP (PVP.Net)

80 TCP (HTTP Connections)

443 TCP (HTTPS Connections)

8088 UDP and TCP (Spectator Mode)

https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752664-Troubleshooting-Connection-Issues

empleh
I've Been Here Awhile

So would switching to the CGN3 for the CGN3ACSMR fix this problem? 

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello Community

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions while we investigate this matter. We have brought this issue to the attention of the appropriate parties.

If any more information becomes available, we will be sure to share with the Community.

We apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused and thank you for your patience.

RogersAsif

I switched from CGN3ACSMR to the older CGN3 today and I can confirm it fixed the latency issues I had with Hearthstone on PC.

I simply called Rogers, explained the situation and they told me I could go to any store to do the exchange. Until Hitron fixes the issue, this seems to be the best solution.

empleh
I've Been Here Awhile

Alright thanks! Ill try the older model, hopefully it fixes the problem

osuman
I'm Here A Lot
Impossible to find GCN3 anywhere in stock, called 5 different stores already..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Probably due to the AC being out of stock for a while, many were jumping to grab it.

You could try and give a call to schedule a tech visit and see if they can bring one?

DrunkCanadian
I've Been Around

Same problem for past 2 weeks ever since we installed it (CGN3ACSMR) after champ select screen goes black and a minute later the message appears saying it might be a firewall error, tried turning off computers firewall, router firewall port forwarded all necessary ports, nothing. Although I have been able to play about 1 in 15 custom games testing out stuff (Appears to be random). I don't want to pay the a $120 to fix a free game. Does anyone have a solution, im thinking about seeing if we can revert to our old router.

It would appear that the only solution for now is to find a CGN3 at a local Rogers store that you can swap your CCG3NACSMR with.  That would allow you to keep your current plan.  Second solution is to swap the SMR for a lesser modem, and accept the fact that you would also have to run a lesser internt plan.  When a firmware update that resolves the issue is available, at that time return to an SMR and faster internet plan.

mfriers
I Plan to Stick Around

Im glad you are forwarding this issue on to the right departments...any idea how long it will take to resolve this issue??

I sent an initial heads up to the Internet Products Manager, but I suspect that the feedback on the forum from numerous users including those that have left Rogers because of it, will have a greater impact on resolving the issue.  The moderators should be more than aware at the present time of what is happening, and will be in a much better position to update the community.  Given the nature and impact of the issue with the CGN3ACSMR, I would expect to see some news, good or bad issued on a day to day basis, but this is just my personal opinion.   I would like to see daily updates so that everyone who is affected by this can determine what is best for their situation. 

The other issue is the latency to and thru the Hitron CGN3s, CGN3ACs and CGN3ACSMRs which Hitron is working on.  Thats another issue that I would like to see updates on.  I have requested an update on the progress but have not receive a response up to this point in time.

ww87617
I've Been Here Awhile

Confirmed. Just upgraded to CGN3ACSMR modem and have the exact same problem.