New Activation vs Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: New Activation vs Upgrade

Well honestly why do you now just get a smartphone like a HTC or a Samsung that can do what the tablet does. Everyone wants a tablet for free but you have to think about the stuff that you are going to do to get it. Just buy a cheap tablet. Wal-mart is putting the 16GB playbook for $198 next week. Why not spend that much for that one?

I would suggest you stay with Rogers & talk to Retentions & see if they can make you a offer you will want. If they do not offer you something then make a choice of what phone you can buy. I have the HTC Raider which is 4.5" screen & its amazing. Moving to MC will be a dumb move for this reason.. Rogers has way more to offer then what MC will. Remember you said it as well that MC is not even in places that Rogers is. So if you travel you might not get service like you would get with Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

The playbook sucks. I guess I really want the galaxy tablet. But the moral of the story is that although my lines are on a month to month, if I decide to sign up for another 3 years then I should get the same treatment as a new subscriber. Keeping their existing customers happy should be any company's main business.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Not really. You are already with Rogers so they treat you like they would do as a regular Rogers costumer. I tried the same as you seeing as my mother has been on month to month for a few months now ( her contracted ended in june) & they are doing the same as me. I called about 12 times & spoke to 2 managers & reps & they told me the same. I called a few Rogers plus stores in which is the only way to get the tablet & they all said the same as me.

A new subscriber is when you are new to the company. This is what the promotion is. You open to new lines & get the tablet for free or else open 1 line & get it for 179.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From some retail associates that I spoke with, New Activations are usually incentives for customers to join rogers who are NOT with them, they are one time lucrative pricing on either hardware or lots of useless features you will never need.  The deals for the existing customers are typically  different but if you call retentions they usually work with you to try and fulfill your needs.  cancelling and re-signing up only to get a new handset again at promo price is kind of shunned upon, its called spinning ,they also catch it easily, and you are subject to ECF fees and DECF fees which can cost MORE than the device you are wanting.

I Plan to Stick Around

As meow suggested, you need to talk to the right people. Speak to the retentions department, explain your situation to them and they may be able to help you out. 

You're right though. It sucks that a loyal customer has to threaten to cancel an account in order to get the preferencial treatment that new customers get. It seems a bit backwards, but thats just how it works.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I have read threw a few websites & a lot of people are having troubles with Retentions. Just make sure you talk nice & act like you are upset & all. Do not rage or yell at them because they will not help you at all.

Retention may not help you but that is not the reason to leave anyways. It does suck that the NEW costumers get a better price BUT think about it you have been with Rogers this long, Rogers i am sure will help you out.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have spoken to customer retention and they have offered me a really good price on a family shared plan. I wil also activate another line on the plan and they will give me a credit of $150 to cover the purchase price of the tablet.

I Plan to Stick Around

When your out of contract is your best leverage to use on cust retention. Once I wanted the SE w810i years ago and new activation was $99, and they wanted to give it to me for $149. I'm like that makes no sense, I can just cancel my account and re-sign up. After a 5 min talk with customer retention they gave me the phone for $70 and they lowered my price plans as well.

1.5 more months and my current contract will be up. I've had this account for 14 yrs now.

That's just WAY to much SAF I've paid!!!! *sigh*

I've Been Around

SO your Math as you say is very wrong.... i will explain   

I have a family and couples plan with currently 2 phones i want to get the tablet and it says by adding 2 new lines to a family plan. again i have a exsiting family plan Now i added 2 lines to the plan i pay my bill off monthly now i have 4 phones on a family plan all with data and i don't get the offer of the tablet....EXplain Why if you say i was to get the offer that i did not get the offer because i was told by Customer care i was to get it but at Store i was told No after i added the 2 lines. On top of all that when i said forget it after finding out i don't get the pomotion of the tablet they said i need to pay the cancellation of the new 2 contracts. each at 400.00 i was still in the Dam store. Asked to talk with Manager and of course not there. So from what you say i was to get the tablet customer service said yes store no Now i have 2 lines still havn't used them still in boxes. STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM MANAGER OR EVEN THE CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER TO CALL BACK.So yes Rogers Sucks....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@gkassyou

I'm glad to hear this worked out for you.