Never getting your "UP TO" speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Never getting your "UP TO" speeds

Hello,

First of all I would like to state that I know I will never ever get what my contract say's I will get, you know that "up to 32 Mbps" speed they advertise.  However over the course of the last week I have been using speedtest.net roughly every couple of hours to see what I am at.  Here's a pretty typical result,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2200337108.png

So as you can see that is no where even remotely close to 32 Mbps.  The highest I have ever seen was 7.42 Mbps (somewhere there).

Is this kind of service typical for Roger's because if so I think it would just be best to cancel this crap and get a dead hampster in a wheel.

I've had my modem replaced, Roger's has sent support people here and replaced every wire in my house related to my internet/tv and it's still crap.

Is there any other way to improve this?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Never getting your "UP TO" speeds - You're not alone

Your not alone out there...our download speed ishovering around 50% of what they say they can provide "up to".  Would we accept this kind of mumbo jumbo from a car company...your car will go up to 100 km/h and then it only goes 50 km/h...who would stand for that? 

Yes we've been through the modem replacement and the tech coming out...now today I replaced the modem again and a tech is scheduled for Wednesday...oh and if I miss his call...too bad have to reschedule. 

Ha the only reason I'm on this service and stay on it is because it was promotional...I guess they hope I'll stay on after the promotional period is over...like that's going to happen.  So once again the technical branch has not lived up to the promotional branch.  It's a little ironic that I can see the Rogers building, and it's a short walk from my condo...yet they can't provide me decent service.  Seriously, I can't connect to my work server, and I'm at a service level where this should be possible.

Oh and during my last call with Rogers the woman tried to elude to the fact that the level of service I was getting was pretty typical and I shouldn't be concerned...screw that I said...I paid for the whole car so give me the other half!

CRTC...open up the foreign investment taps and bring on the competition...what we Canadians get for service in this oligarchy is a hamster on a wheel!!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I 100% agree that you should be getting higher than you are.. and rogers SHOULD be fixing whatever reason that you are not getting the full amount..

But this is not across the board.  I do get 100% of the speed that i am suposed to.
But i am also in a more rural area.. i am guessing the speed issues happen more in urban areas that are oversold, etc.

Again, not saying its right, and rogers SHOULD fix this for people.. jsut saying they dont limit it on purpose, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just upgraded to the ultimate package and have yet to see it go higher then 70mbps down...Rogers should take a lesson from Shaw, at least their speeds were what was advertised and much cheaper monthly cost. **bleep** I had to get a new modem for the ultimate upgrade and the gateway isn't even wireless N..its pretty pathetic actually..

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I did a bit of research into their "up-to" speeds. According to their own website they base their numbers on the following: " Modem set-up: the system is configured to maximum modem capabilities within Rogers own network.".

So, if you were living in their labs with hard-wire connections to their servers, you might, on a good day, get those advertised rates.

BTW, anyone notice that Roger's speed test consistantly produces much better results than other speed tests?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Never getting your "UP TO" speeds

Nope. My speed test on speedtest.net shows usually faster than the Rogers ones.

Bu I luckily normaly do get my advertised amounts or pretty darn close.