Netflix users beware

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cc123456789
I've Been Around

Netflix users beware

Apparently now Netflix account setting are not persistent across all user profiles.  It used to be that the playback settings in the admin's profile carried across all profiles....not the case anymore.  You need to edit the playback settings in each profile individualy or you may be using the highest setting when you think you are using the lower ones (and eat up a lot of data).

***edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Netflix users beware

I used to think it was GLOBAL?
Guess its not and changes by profile.

Definately something to look out for.

One thing also to be aware... is HD and SUPERHD.
Via the web and some clients, it maxes out at HD, which is the highest settings.. which will use up a larger amount.
There are some devices/players, which allow SUPER HD.
(i THINK the difference is HD is 720p and SuperHD is 1080p).  If your settings are set to HD, any super HD player will usually auto up it to superHD quality and increase the usage even further.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I use Netflix on a Samsung Smart TV, my computer, and a PS3. My settings are the same for all devices and always have been. I do use Super HD, though, so that has not changed since it was introduced.

Off topic, but I just finished watching another Netflix production called Marco Polo. It was fascinating and very well done.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Based on what I read online for Netflix I believe that HD can be either 720P or 1080P depending on content, but SUPER HD OR ULTRA HD requires a 4K TV or display device (projector, computer, etc).   Ultra HD also requires at least 25 Megabits / sec of Internet speed and will consume about 7 Gigabytes / hour.   Very few people have this at this point and Netflix has only  a handful of shows that offer this.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

techguy001:

I've been using Super HD since it came out which was quite some time ago. It is 1080P and I can see the resolution on my monitor when I use my computer or PS3. Theoretically, Super HD is the equivalent of Blu-Ray, and its image is definitely better than regular HD, which will be 720p or 1080i. Super HD does not require a 4K display. That's a whole different thing.

7GB per hour sounds about right for Ultra HD. I use about 3GB per hour for Super HD.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My understanding is a little different.
(just did a few searches to confirm that i am correct)

Standard HD on netflix is 720p

Super HD, is 1080p.

Ultra HD, is 4k (or closest to it)

Almost any content which is available in HD (bar maybe some OLD OLD stuff which may only by 720p max anyways), SHOULD if you have a super HD compatable player, play in super HD (1080p) automatically. (assuming your quality setting is set to HD)

Netflix, on its HD quality, maxes out at around 3mbps.. so still can run on a SLOWER package, but could choke it a little if using otherwise at the same time.
SuperHD, runs at 5-8mbps.. so would definately choke the lowest plans.. but even rogers 30/5 should be find with it.
Ultra though, your correct with it wanting up to 25mbps!

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

It's been a long time since I used the regular HD setting and didn't realize it's only 720P, which is just as good as 1080i anyway. There are still cable channels which broadcast in 720P and they look good despite being a lower resolution, which is 1280x720 vs. 1920x1080i. I'll be waiting a long time before I invest in a 4K display, though, as there's a serious lack of content and prices are still way too high, although they are dropping. I have a Denon AVR which actually supports 4K, and my computer video card does as well.

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

How are you guys determining these interpretations?   There is only one HIGH setting (at least that I can see on my playback settings) for both HD and ULTRA HD   There is no such technical term for SUPER HD.   720P and 1080P are both considered HD.     4K  is known as ULTRA HD.

The same setting supposedly provides all of these.    HD streaming is at 3 GB / hour and ULTRA HD is 7 GB / hour.   This is from the Netflix site info.

How can you verify what you're actually getting?  

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@techguy001 wrote:

How are you guys determining these interpretations?   There is only one HIGH setting (at least that I can see on my playback settings) for both HD and ULTRA HD   There is no such technical term for SUPER HD.   720P and 1080P are both considered HD.     4K  is known as ULTRA HD.

The same setting supposedly provides all of these.    HD streaming is at 3 GB / hour and ULTRA HD is 7 GB / hour.   This is from the Netflix site info.

How can you verify what you're actually getting?  

Correct, there is only one HIGH setting.

You set it on HIGH.. and from there it is DEVICE dependant on what it pulls.

before the ultra HD there was another compatability page.. listing just sort of all devices.. doesnt seem to be around anymore, its more broken down into separate pages per device, etc. Like for samsung TVs
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2250

Some devices will only pull 720p on HD setting.. some 1080, some 4k.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70136810?trkid=439131

This is a test video.. now on PC playback it shows some info on it as it streams.
(not sure if on TVs and other devices if it does or not)
Run it on a PC regular browser, on HD settings.. shoudl top out at 720p, and 3mbps.

Using a SUPERHD or higher device, should allow higher.  Win 8.1's METRO browser is superHD compatable, so should show the details.. and should end up 1080p and closer to 5mpbs.
(i only tested this one, but did show)