Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

Unfortunately, techsavy is not available in ALL areas.. usualy the more biger cities, yes, but not some of the more smaller more remote ones, where rogers is still available (compared to even more remote, where no rogers even :P)

Weither it is true or not, but i have read places, that techsavy does have limits per area... IE say in city X, they will only serve up to 200 customers.... probably in the end, to try and keep them from getting too congested and slowing everyone down.  I could be wrong on this point though.

Other than that, i have heard great things.. i have a friend who swears by them... he uses like 75g a week..(doing what, i have no idea.. thats his PRE netflix usage >.>).

But you also have to remember, they run on rogers infrastructure (or bells.. i think depending on your area, they use DSL or cable based).. if your area is prone to slowdowns due to congestion, etc.. you could end up with this as well with them... but the no limit is definately a perk.

Myself.. i am sort of a stickler for quality.. and i just didnt find netflix up to snuff, compared to full HD content from the cable (or bluerays).. so my usage overall doesnt include netflix... but with daily gaming, daily file transfers to and from home server, RDP connections to home daily, regular usage (all the photos my wife uploads to facebook), i rarely even use 1/2 of my monthly cap.

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

I dont even want to try netflix.  On more than one occasion Rogers has incorrectly billed me for overages that were incorrect.  To top that off, the overage charge is way too expensive.  How fair is it that for less than 1/2 my monthly allot meant in overage, they can double my bill?  This is why I wont get netflix.  I really want netflix, but I don't want to worry about my usage any more than I already do.  It's highway robbery. 

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Netflix has lowered usage for Canadian customers.

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/03/netflix-lowers-data-usage-by-23-for.html

"Now Canadians can watch 30 hours of streaming from Netflix in a month that will consume only 9 GBytes of data, well below most data caps."
"We made these changes because many Canadian Internet service providers unfortunately enforce monthly caps on the total amount of data consumed."
But you are perfectly correct in your comments about Rogers data caps. They are a rip-off - plain and simple! In my humble opinion, the data caps were brought in (at least in part) to suck customers into purchasing more expensive Internet plans! Rogers is not about their customers, except of course to take more money out of their pockets!

I've Been Here Awhile

I have exactly the same problem.  I am new to Rogers an within 20 days I have used 29GB of download and 54GB of upload.  I talked to 3 Rogers reps and nobody can tell me why.  I think that the upload usage must be wrong. 

diverd
I Plan to Stick Around

My sister in law was having similar problems: reaching her total limit not even halfway through the month and only using her PC for email and a bit of browsing so I went in and cleaned it out and got rid of some malaware. spyware, viruses etc and now by the end of the month she checks her usage and it's like 1% of the total so maybe give your PC a good going over......Just my .02 cents.....DD

diverd
I Plan to Stick Around

IMHO the only reason that Bell and Rogers didn't object AT ALL to Netflix coming to Canada is because they knew very well that since they control the major internet services, then everyone that subscribes to Netflix would automatically go over their bandwidth limit fairly quickly, so even if customers cut back their cable/satellite services from Bell and Rogers for Netflix, these 2 companies would make as much or more money on overage charges.....Doesn't it seem a little odd that Bell started throttling back on and capping internet usage to anyone using their phone lines just before Netflix came to town???...Someone in another post asked : Maybe it's the almighty dollar that these companies care about and not the customers.....Here's a news flash : THE DOLLAR IS ALL THEY CARE ABOUT !!!!!! How much do you think it costs Rogers a month to switch you from a basic $35.00 a month basic cable or internet package up to a $200.00 a month "all you can eat deluxe Platinum pkg. ??? .Probably nothing more than the time it takes one of their desk jockeys to punch a couple keys on their computer......And every year they petition the CRTC to raise their rates yet again and every year the CRTC complies.....Just my .02 cents.......DD

diverd
I Plan to Stick Around

As far a s Netflix goes, I was holding off awhile until they upped their content a little but when I found out I have unlimited bandwidth from my ISP, I pulled the trigger immediately....I"m a big stickler for quality and as you know watching tv on larger screens will bring out the worst in video quality but after going into my acct. settings in Netflix and upping everything to "highest quality video" I was pleasantly surprised at how good a picture I get (in some cases better than Rogers) especially on my 12' screen where problems are really noticeable.......Cut back my Rogers to basic and bought a little Roku streamer and have more programming than I know what to do with.....DD

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@diverd wrote:

Cut back my Rogers to basic and bought a little Roku streamer and have more programming than I know what to do with.....DD

dverd, what kind of content can you get with a Roku box?

diverd
I Plan to Stick Around

There are literally hundreds of channels to choose from....I've only tried a few ...most are free and some you can pay for...best to go to their website to view all...Also I just found a website where you can get software to watch all the american content from Netflix and Hulu etc which will add thousands of more channels.......DD

Kdubovik
I Plan to Stick Around

I posted about this issue about a month or 2 ago.

When I was on teksavvy, I watched netflix and streamed other videos approx 8hours a day straight, then my husband would watch intermittent youtube videos for another 6 or 7 hours or so.

Every month, I was never over 150gigs.

Then, I switched over to rogers, and was using 200-250gigs consistantly each month

I used a third party monitor which confirmed the same thing that roger's site did.

But I still insist that something is using more internet than it was on teksavvy because I have not changed my internet habits in 2 years.

I changed the netflix settings to the lowest (even though they were high on teksavvy) and now I stay around 160 and on the last 3 days or so of the billing cycle I download as much music and games as I can to use it all up. I figure if I'm going to pay for it, I might as well get something out of it.

I just wanted to drop down a package, but I don't think that's feasible.

We were gone the first 3 weeks of june and I still managed to use 62 gigs in the week that we were present for our cycle... It just all seems fishy.