Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

@DigitalDarkAges wrote:
I don't even use Netflix because your "bandwidth allowances", or as your customers call it "CAPS" are too cost prohibitive for me to take the risk. I refuse to pay for more expensive tiers that have little return on my investment.

So here we have a customer who does not want to use Netflix because of bandwidth caps. I have tried to post a link here because Netflix has announced that they will "use 2/3 less data on average, with minimal impact to video quality." Furthermore, "Canadians can watch 30 hours of streaming from Netflix in a month that will consume only 9 GBytes of data, well below most data caps." They go on to say that  "We made these changes because many Canadian Internet service providers unfortunately enforce monthly caps on the total amount of data consumed."

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/03/netflix-lowers-data-usage-by-23-for.html

For some reason, the powers that be at Rogers (who will remain nameless) have deemed that my comment does not offer technical support and continue to delete my reply!  Interesting because so many other comments on here offer no technical support whatsoever. So just what is the criteria for deleting comments?

I've Been Here Awhile

The powers to be at Rogers are nameless.. that's the problem. Alas. I did notice that on the last day of the month recently for the last 3 months by bandwidth usage spikes to 7GB's for that day. However, nothing different is happening than occured in the months preceding January. On average I use approx 900MB to 1.2GB / day. No wireless / wi-fi. Live in apartment building though. Hmm.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers and Bell also have a serious conflict of interest where Netflix is concerned, because they want you to watch cable / satellite and they own the Canadian content rights for major U.S. networks and film studios.

CRTC are you listening? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

IHR I accept your post as a solution. Sadly not the one I wanted but it works for now.. I have changed to the lowest quality so I can continue to use netflix. The sadly part is due to the noticeable quality downgrade. I've paid a lot for my HD with surround sound and I would like to use it. The only way to go about doing that in an on demand fashion is to find unlimited internet or pay the overages..
I'm a Senior Advisor

Hey, Chris, I don't even accept my own post as a solution! I only posted to let people know that they could still use Netflix and consume less bandwidth at the same time. I doubt Rogers would consider it as a solution either because they want people to consume more bandwidth! On their Facebook page, they are always encouraging people to use Rogers On Demand Online. They encourage people to use more bandwidth or hope they will upgrade to more expensive packages because their usage allowances are ridiculously low in this day and age! It is sad you have to do this and not be able to enjoy your HD surround sound system the way it was intended to be enjoyed!

I Plan to Stick Around

Ther are two reasons I think rogers and bell do this one is money they get and the don't have to upgrade their infrastructure. They are just the monopoly in canada.now with the data shaping bs it is worse. I would like two get netflix  but the 60 g cap is to low. the caps should be removed and go back to the way it was before all this greedwas there.

I've Been Around

Same here - ever since going to the 100GB plan, usage as measured by Rogers has gone waaaay up. Not only do we have to use their crappy SMC gateway (yeah, riiiiiight....), it certainly is not measuring correctly.
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

As their is no REAL regulation of bandwidth traffic monitoring, we are left up our own devices... the only really accurate method of monitoring your bandwidth usage is to put a "Tomato/Linux" Router between ALL your computers and your rogers router. So Internet-----> Rogers Router------>Tomato/linux Router------> all your computers.

Tomato and other linux based routers have bandwidth monitoring tools which wil capture all incoming and outgoing traffic...

One thing that can't be controlled, is having a slow/crappy connection that results in packets having to be "resent" which in theory could double or triple your usage, as rogers bandwidth monitor only looks at the bits and bytes.

This will be evident of course if your Tomato/linux based router reports say 30gb of traffic, yet rogers charges you for 60gb...at least you will have concrete evidence to file a complaint with the CRTC.

It also doesn't help that Rogers has been found guilty of throttling http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1120828--stop-throttling-video-games-crtc-tells-rogers which will also cause packets for time sensative apps to be resent ...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

rogers, you need to raise the download caps, theyre completely unreasonable.

I'm an Enthusiast

Seriously.  Switch to Teksavvy.  Even with the newly increased prices (due to the recent CRTC edicts) I am only paying approx. $63/month for 24MBps and no limit.  Back when I switched, I went for the 18Mbps and 300Gb cap for less than $50 a month.  I have NO idea why people continue to use Rogers.  Seriously...if you can, switch. Do it.  DO IT! 🙂