Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbmiliu
I've Been Around

Re: Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

what i found really crazy was that my Upload data was as high as the download ... which is totally crazy considering that I have 10M down and 512k up ... i also called Netflix and they said that it should be 99% download ...

I think rogers is doing some funny business here.

RogersReggie
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi bbmiliu,

Welcome to the forums.

You are correct. Usually streaming audio/video contributes mostly to your download usage. Upload usage only counts when you are transferring data FROM your PC. This type of activity usually occurs when you have a program on your PC which uses high bandwidth for upload, i.e BitTorrent, Limewire or other P2P applications. If you do not use those types of programs on your PC, and you use a wireless router, you may want to ensure that it is secure and check the usage of any other computers on your home network, as other users may be using those type of applications which would contribute to the high uploads.
Also, even if you do not use P2P programs, you may want to check if they are installed on your system and remove them. It is possible they may be starting up automatically on your PC and using up your upload usage without you even knowing about it.

Let us know how that goes.
RR
sutem
I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. I switched to extreme plus and now I've gone over my 125 gig in just 2 weeks. It says I've downloaded 54 gig...which is fine....but how the heck could I have uploaded 75 gig also, when the upload amount of 1 mb is so small?  It certainly doesn't show that much upload in my torrent ratio...so where did it go?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

That is weird. To upload that much would take a long time. I wonder if there is some other problem here..
Toadstool
I've Been Here Awhile

Just as a double check I have been using a third party program called netwox. With this program which is free, I can keep tabs on all internet usage, up and down, on all the computers in my house. Great little program.
icygoblin
I've Been Around

i wanna get netflix to  but rogerts and there bandwith cap i dont like this at all

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I was 3 weeks into my billing period when I started the Netflix 1 month free trial (I'm on Express, 60gig).

Something like 4 days into my first month of Netflix, I was informed I'd gone over the 60 gig limit.  Shocked me as EVERY single month we were below 25gig usage for the entire month. Immediately stopped using Netflix, and cancelled Netflix.  Ended up going over my cap by 10gig.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm extremely surprised any of you had no idea that Netflix would eat up your bandwidth. A typical movie can be about 700 megs as a standard. Netflix uses movies that have variable types of qualities depending on your available bandwidth. As such, sometimes the movie you watch will stream at a much higher quality, so you can easily approach something like 1+ gigs for one average 1.5 hour movie.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I didn't have a clue, as my husband watches a ton of youtube stuff, and we still never went over 25gig in a full month.. 

Just a few nights of watching a single movie ate up over 40gig of bandwidth..  I was quite surprised.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

Youtube is provided in flash./HTML5. Those files are much smaller and usually the quality is much lower.

Netflix is high quality streaming files. A typical movie DVD is 4.7gb.

You had no idea a movie from netflix even "here and there" will eat bandwidth like crazy? Seems like using a bit of reason should have answered that question before it was asked.