Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

After 4 days I'm in trouble:

October 04, 2010 6,130 MB

October 03, 2010 3,851 MB

October 02, 2010 4,298 MB

October 01, 2010 3,513 MB

Is anyone else seeing traffic usage like this? I'm through about 20 of my 60GB....

***edited labels***

60 REPLIES 60

Re: Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

i wanna get netflix to  but rogerts and there bandwith cap i dont like this at all

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I was 3 weeks into my billing period when I started the Netflix 1 month free trial (I'm on Express, 60gig).

Something like 4 days into my first month of Netflix, I was informed I'd gone over the 60 gig limit.  Shocked me as EVERY single month we were below 25gig usage for the entire month. Immediately stopped using Netflix, and cancelled Netflix.  Ended up going over my cap by 10gig.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm extremely surprised any of you had no idea that Netflix would eat up your bandwidth. A typical movie can be about 700 megs as a standard. Netflix uses movies that have variable types of qualities depending on your available bandwidth. As such, sometimes the movie you watch will stream at a much higher quality, so you can easily approach something like 1+ gigs for one average 1.5 hour movie.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I didn't have a clue, as my husband watches a ton of youtube stuff, and we still never went over 25gig in a full month.. 

Just a few nights of watching a single movie ate up over 40gig of bandwidth..  I was quite surprised.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

Youtube is provided in flash./HTML5. Those files are much smaller and usually the quality is much lower.

Netflix is high quality streaming files. A typical movie DVD is 4.7gb.

You had no idea a movie from netflix even "here and there" will eat bandwidth like crazy? Seems like using a bit of reason should have answered that question before it was asked.