Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

After 4 days I'm in trouble:

October 04, 2010 6,130 MB

October 03, 2010 3,851 MB

October 02, 2010 4,298 MB

October 01, 2010 3,513 MB

Is anyone else seeing traffic usage like this? I'm through about 20 of my 60GB....

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netflix - usage (is this normal?)

@DigitalDarkAges wrote:
I don't even use Netflix because your "bandwidth allowances", or as your customers call it "CAPS" are too cost prohibitive for me to take the risk. I refuse to pay for more expensive tiers that have little return on my investment.

So here we have a customer who does not want to use Netflix because of bandwidth caps. I have tried to post a link here because Netflix has announced that they will "use 2/3 less data on average, with minimal impact to video quality." Furthermore, "Canadians can watch 30 hours of streaming from Netflix in a month that will consume only 9 GBytes of data, well below most data caps." They go on to say that  "We made these changes because many Canadian Internet service providers unfortunately enforce monthly caps on the total amount of data consumed."

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/03/netflix-lowers-data-usage-by-23-for.html

For some reason, the powers that be at Rogers (who will remain nameless) have deemed that my comment does not offer technical support and continue to delete my reply!  Interesting because so many other comments on here offer no technical support whatsoever. So just what is the criteria for deleting comments?

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

CindyLeah
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know what quality netfix movies are in but it depends on how many movies you're watching each day.

Standard definition movies are about 700mb when you download (netflix could have them around 700-1200 depending on length of movie).

If they are in HD they will be much bigger around 2-3GB per movie.

Netflix overall is not a good deal when subscribed to rogers internet. It is only worth it if you have a very large cap and don't use it for much else or an unlimited cap.

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

Yes, that usage could be normal depending on the amount of movies/tv shows your watching.

I may suggest downloading a 3rd party usage monitoring tool as well as rogers.com as you can view your usage on there as well ( I guess you know this much seeing as you know your at 20gb already).

jungg
I'm Here A Lot

Hi, Chris,

I have the same problem with you.

The last 4 days, my usage is like the following.

October 4   15,310MB  (15GB)

October 3    24,247MB (24GB)

October 2   2,127MB (2GB)

October 1    13,644 (13GB)

It's apparently abnormal and I think there must be problems on Rogers usage counting system.

Normally, I've used the internet under 1GB a day in average.

I've sent email to Rogers but I just received that I might use the internet that much.

But I absolutly don't agree with that because I didn't use the interent that much.

Now I've already over the 60GB limit and I have to pay $2 per additional 1 GB.

What I think is that Rogers system may  count double or triple the usage. It is very probable. Furthermore, Rogers system is now unstable. When I try to access the usage view page, I've got many times system failure message like ".... unavailable...".

However, I cannot debate with Rogers because my verbal English is very poor. So, if possible, Chris, can you request the Rogers to answer about this absord situation?

We need to do something to solve this wrong loss.

Thank you,

Jung.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@jungg we're you also recently using netflix?

My usage since I started has gone up huge.. Not sure if it's double counting or not..

I have also noticed the issue with the website not being available as well. I tend not to trust it too much..

Not sure how I'm going to use a 3rd party tracker as I'm using my ps3 to access netflix.

jungg
I'm Here A Lot

Hey Chris,

Your answer is very quick. It's awesome.

By the way, I don't use Netflix. I should have mentioned it first.

I didn't know where do I have to post my opinion to solve this problem. So i've just posted my opinion here.

Actually, I watched some tutorial movies from tv.adobe.com. But it cannot be as much as 24GB. It should be at best 1 or 2 GB I think. That's why I was shocked. I frequently watched the movies from the same site before. But it never was over 4GB.

What I hope is that someone who have undergone the same troble recently post their opinion to solve this problem together.

thanks.

Netbug
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hi guys.

Usage is a hot button issue, I know. I myself pull between 300-500GB per month in usage (HTPC usage sucks about 90% of that) and I'm only on the Express package.

Since the usage tool was implemented, I haven't seen it make a mistake in data calculations either on my account or on any customers. That's not to say that the viewing tool doesn't go down or not display properly, but the actual data calculations I have yet to see errors on.

The reason, as best I can ascertain, for why it can't really error in this way is because it's tied to the DOCSIS MAC and Serial numbers; so if it was screwing with the monitoring, the internet probably wouldn't work at all.

Now there's always the chance that something new arises that I haven't seen, and I don't profess to have all the answers, but I've done this for a while.

My best suggestions for monitoring are as follows:

1. Depending upon how you connect, if you use a third party router, you could look into an after-market firmware such as DDT or Tomato, some of which have built in monitoring on the device itself.

2. If that option is not viable, for one 24-hour period, midnight to midnight, disable the wireless on your Rogers gateway and hook up one computer directly to the device. Continue to use the internet normally and install your own bandwidth monitor. After the 24 hour period, compare your measurements with the Rogers measurements. If there's a discrepancy, give us a ring and we'll open a case to have a look.

Remember that it's not just downloads, but uplaods as well that contribute to your useage and I've seen people who are not really familiar with torrent software misconfigure the clients and chew through 50-70gigs in just uploads (though based upon responses in this thread, I don't think that's the case here).

I have to pay the overage costs myself as well, and I'm not thrilled about it, but sadly, those choices aren't made by me.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I've tried other firmware sadly my router is not stable at the moment with the current releases.. 

I'm try the route of not using netflix for a day or so and see if my traffic returns to normal.. (if this is the case I'm sure rogers will be very happy).. 

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for the information, Netbug.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Sad to report my non netflix usage:

October 06, 2010 270MB
October 05, 2010 256MB

Rogers you win this time...

I won't be clicking Accept Solution due to the fact that I don't have a solution to use netflix and stay with Rogers...

bbmiliu
I've Been Around

what i found really crazy was that my Upload data was as high as the download ... which is totally crazy considering that I have 10M down and 512k up ... i also called Netflix and they said that it should be 99% download ...

I think rogers is doing some funny business here.

Hi bbmiliu,

Welcome to the forums.

You are correct. Usually streaming audio/video contributes mostly to your download usage. Upload usage only counts when you are transferring data FROM your PC. This type of activity usually occurs when you have a program on your PC which uses high bandwidth for upload, i.e BitTorrent, Limewire or other P2P applications. If you do not use those types of programs on your PC, and you use a wireless router, you may want to ensure that it is secure and check the usage of any other computers on your home network, as other users may be using those type of applications which would contribute to the high uploads.
Also, even if you do not use P2P programs, you may want to check if they are installed on your system and remove them. It is possible they may be starting up automatically on your PC and using up your upload usage without you even knowing about it.

Let us know how that goes.
RR

sutem
I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. I switched to extreme plus and now I've gone over my 125 gig in just 2 weeks. It says I've downloaded 54 gig...which is fine....but how the heck could I have uploaded 75 gig also, when the upload amount of 1 mb is so small?  It certainly doesn't show that much upload in my torrent ratio...so where did it go?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
That is weird. To upload that much would take a long time. I wonder if there is some other problem here..

Toadstool
I've Been Here Awhile
Just as a double check I have been using a third party program called netwox. With this program which is free, I can keep tabs on all internet usage, up and down, on all the computers in my house. Great little program.

i wanna get netflix to  but rogerts and there bandwith cap i dont like this at all

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I was 3 weeks into my billing period when I started the Netflix 1 month free trial (I'm on Express, 60gig).

Something like 4 days into my first month of Netflix, I was informed I'd gone over the 60 gig limit.  Shocked me as EVERY single month we were below 25gig usage for the entire month. Immediately stopped using Netflix, and cancelled Netflix.  Ended up going over my cap by 10gig.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm extremely surprised any of you had no idea that Netflix would eat up your bandwidth. A typical movie can be about 700 megs as a standard. Netflix uses movies that have variable types of qualities depending on your available bandwidth. As such, sometimes the movie you watch will stream at a much higher quality, so you can easily approach something like 1+ gigs for one average 1.5 hour movie.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I didn't have a clue, as my husband watches a ton of youtube stuff, and we still never went over 25gig in a full month.. 

Just a few nights of watching a single movie ate up over 40gig of bandwidth..  I was quite surprised.

esazon
I Plan to Stick Around

Youtube is provided in flash./HTML5. Those files are much smaller and usually the quality is much lower.

Netflix is high quality streaming files. A typical movie DVD is 4.7gb.

You had no idea a movie from netflix even "here and there" will eat bandwidth like crazy? Seems like using a bit of reason should have answered that question before it was asked. 

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@esazon not many people know the size of data used to show a movie. With netflix offering HD and 5.1 audio it takes up a lot of bandwidth. Even being tech savvy as I am I was surprised how much I burnt through in my first week of netflix..

Unfortunately Netflix was designed for the American internet market and not the cap happy Canadian internet...

Hopefully things like stopthemeter.ca will catch on and make some change.