cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix ruins games

azzipyob
I've Been Around

Hey

I enjoy playing TF2 and Counter-strike, neither of which consume a lot of bandwidth, but whenever my parents start watching Netflix my ping jumps from ~40 to 800+, which is absolutely unplayable. The weird thing is, if they are streaming movies off of any other site, or downloading large torrents, there's absolutely no problem.

Is there some way that I can make my PS3 (what netflix runs through) connect to a VPN or something so Rogers won't throttle our connection?

***edited labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Netflix ruins games

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't think what you are seeing is Rogers throttling your gaming.  Most likely its due to Quality of Service (QOS) priority.  If you look at the following link, you can see what the QOS priorities are.  As far as user applications go, the priorities would be Voice, Video, Critical Applications, Excellent Effort, Best Effort, Background.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_P802.1p

In the case of the CGN3 modem, the wireless QOS is hardwired ON, so that can't be disabled and there is no control panel to change priorities of applications or data streams.  This modem, and I believe the other Rogers modems do not have QOS controls available at the user level.  You would have to check your modem to see if it is available and if the priorities can be modified to move gaming data to a higher priority.  I suspect that the Netflix movie streaming is a higher priority as indicated by the above list, and as a result, you end up with gaming lag.  Of course, if you were able to modify it, you're parents might not be too appreciative of the end results.  Have a look at your modem to see what it offers in terms of controls.

Beyond that, the only other solution would be to run the modem in Bridge mode and use your own router behind it for everything, firewall, router duties, etc, etc.  That router would have to offer QOS priority access to be of any use to you.  Here is an example of a control page with QOS modification capability.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/change-your-routers-quality-of-service-qos-settings-how-to

Re: Netflix ruins games

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@azzipyob wrote:

Hey

I enjoy playing TF2 and Counter-strike, neither of which consume a lot of bandwidth, but whenever my parents start watching Netflix my ping jumps from ~40 to 800+, which is absolutely unplayable. The weird thing is, if they are streaming movies off of any other site, or downloading large torrents, there's absolutely no problem.

Is there some way that I can make my PS3 (what netflix runs through) connect to a VPN or something so Rogers won't throttle our connection?

Okay, before getting into conspiracy theories, let's take a look at your setup:

1. What Rogers plan are you using? (with what upstream speed, specifically)

2. What modem? Bridged or gateway mode?

3. If bridged, what kind of router are you running?

4. How does the PS3 (which IIRC only has 802.11g wifi) connect to the router? (Wired or wireless?)

5. How is your computer connecting to the router? Wired or wireless? 2.4GHz or 5GHz? What wireless card?

Certainly, if your parents are doing Netflix over 802.11g from the PS3, I would think that could cause some performance issues with other wifi clients...

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation