Netflix OpenConnect

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Netflix OpenConnect

Hmmm... I'm not sure if my Netflix is now super hd or not. Also, while we're on the Netflix topic, is it just me or do some movies/episodes not work? Its quite annoying. Would that have anything to do with the fact I use US Netflix?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Possibly?

If you are connecting to a US netflix (via a prox or something else installed) it may not see you as COMMING from a source which has OpenConnect installed.. and therefore, process it as so 😞

SuperHD is only use, on stuff that is able to be broadcast in it... not everything would.  I would assume newer stuff could likely be, but alot of the older stuff, is not always even in full HD to begin with.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've had netflix for a month now.  We love it!  For the price of ONE ROGERS ON DEMAND MOVIE we have access to thousands of movies of tv shows.  The selection is better in the US, but wow, it A MUCH BETTER VALUE.  The only draw back is, with Rogers intentionally setting usage caps SO LOW, the charging SO MUCH for overages, you probably should have one of the top two teir packages so you don't have to worry about going over every month.  Such a shame Rogers cannot offer affordable on demand content, so they use unfair fees to scare, and prevent people from signing up for fear of large overages.  

Our cable bills are expensive because of sports programming.  I do not watch sports on TV, if Rogers offered a pay by channel option, my cable bill would probably be 1/4 what it is now.  I am sick and tired of having to watch everything I do with Rogers for fear of fees, penalties, or billing mistakes on their part that take hours of frustration to fix.  NETFLIX = GOOD.  ROGERS = BAD VALUE, TERRIBLE SERVICE.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THey DID have the unlimited addon.. which makes data caps not a wory (but its gone now).

As for the pay by channel.. Not going to happen, least not completely.  AND its not rogers fault. (and this is NOT defending rogers).
Rogers actually DID try a pay for what you want based service... and it BOMBED in testing.  WHY?

CRTC, mandated that, there had to be a set CORE channels (mostly canadian content, i beleive), that everyone had to buy, no choice in it.  Was around $22 for it.  From there, you could start adding other things.  But again, due to CRTC, etc.. certain things, had to be grouped together..  so could get slightly smaller bundles than now, but wasnt able to be 100% channel by channel for alot of it.
It ended up being the SAME price as now 😞

I will agree though.. PRIOR to the unlimited addon.. i only had netflix for 1-2 months.. didnt want to worry about overages, etc. There is alot of content there, for a good price.  There is ALOT which is not there though as well.  All depends on what your watching habbits are i guess.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

jannecampbell:

Not sure if anyone has actually answered the original question, but I get Super HD on Netflix with Rogers internet. Somewhere on a web site, possibly Netflix, it states that Rogers supports it. I've seen a few Super HD movies and they are fantastic. Just like watching Blu-Ray.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

jimboden:

Correct, Rogers does support Super HD on rogers with Netflix.  On supported devices.

Jannecambell is connecting to the US netflix though, likely through using a dns or other form of proxy.
Because she is accessing netflix in that way, it may not recognise that it is comming through rogers.. therefore may not trip the SuperHD part 😞

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

i forgot about the supported devices part which, obviously, is important. I have a Samsung smart TV, which has its own app, so I can watch Netflix without my computer. I'm surprised at how well it works. Movie quality is at least as good, if not better, than watching on my computer. I'm sure you're right about a proxy, though, which is a good point.

One thing I want to try on Netflix sometime is to see if they have any 3D content, but haven't looked for it yet. My Samsung also supports 3D and the only thing I've seen it on is the Rogers cable test channel.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Im running an LG TV which is supported as well 🙂  Takes a second to come in super clear, but when it does its really well.

Not sure about 3d content.. i know there were movies that were in 3d on there.. but not necessarily the 3d version.  I would assume that it would require MORE data to be pushed to push that information along with it?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Yes, I'm sure 3D would have a higher data rate than average.