Netcomm 3G27WV query

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Netcomm 3G27WV query

I live near Shelburne, ON within about 1.5 km from a Rogers 4G tower.  I typically get about 3 M/s download speeds with my 3G27WV, which I can live with.  I'm not using an external antenna at present but am planning to install one.  Recently I did a test and found that my iPhone 5, placed at the same position as the Netcomm modem, has 50% faster download speed than the Netcomm.  I attributed that, probably wrongly, to the fact that the Netcomm is receiving 3G whereas the iPhone has HSPA+ capability.  The Netcomm specs, though, say that it's HSPA+.  Any idea why the iPhone should be faster (three tests, so likely not an anomaly).  Do I need a different SIM card for HSPA+?

If I upgrade, I'd like to get a hotspot with the following specs:

1.  capable of LTE (should I live so long)

2.  WiFi 

3.  External antenna port

4.  At least one ethernet port 

5.  Display data usage 

6.  Portability is unimportant as the hotspot is not going to be taken on trips.

ZTE has announced a new modem called Flare that looks interesting, likely overkill for me, but I'd appreciate any advice about a replacement modem.  The hub Rogers currently sells (all corporate stores are out of stock) is the ZTE 271 but it doesn't have an external antenna jack.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Netcomm 3G27WV query

What is the iphone showing, when its getting the faster speed?
3G? LTE?

The ZTE modem from what i have heard, is being discontinued... but they havent yet picked up a NEW one to replace it 😞

May have to wait a bit to see what the specs on the new one are.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your comments.  Although I had compared download speeds twice the other day, when I tried it today, there was no difference in download speed between the Netcomm and my iPhone, in both cases about 3 MB/s.  The iPhone shows four out of five dots, so the signal strength inside our country house is good.  I set the iPhone in Airplane mode, of course, in making the comparison.  

The iPhone displays 3G. What should the display be if Rogers is transmitting HSPA#?  The tower map indicates 4G, but that's not what I"m seeing.

Dan

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It appears that rogers has released their NEW LTE hub, its available on the mobile internet page of their website now.

Doesnt appear to have an ext antenna port tho 😞