Netcomm 3G25R-W and Internet Access to Linksys Internet Cam WVC80N

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Netcomm 3G25R-W and Internet Access to Linksys Internet Cam WVC80N

I am trying to remotely access this web cam on my home network.

- Cam works on my internal network.

- Has fixed IP.

- DDNS enabled.

- Alternate web access port defined - 1024 on cam.

On Netcomm

- Forwarding ports 80 and 1024 to cam IP.

On a different ISP, I can ping the web name and it resolves (times out) to the IP that I get on my home network so the  

DDNS is working.

When I try to access the site it never connects.

So I don't know if what I am trying to do is blocked by Rogers or my configuration of the router?

Help!

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Netcomm 3G25R-W and Internet Access to Linksys Internet Cam WVC80N

@randomr25:

I believe you need to get Rogers to set up a public IP address on your Netcomm.  This will cost extra, I believe $10 or so more per month.

This exact issue has been discussed in other postings on this Forum, and as I recall that was the eventual conclusion for those who wished to access surveillance cameras from remote locations over the Internet.

skinorth

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I BELEIVE this is the reason (though it may not be correct)  the IP you see on your modem, is the wireless network IP addres... which isnt directly a regular one visable to the rest of the network.

As skinorth said, this will allow you a publicly visible IP address to be able to point to, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the replies.

I had read through the forums and thought that having a public IP would get around IP changes. The DDNS service from TZO.com (trial with the cam), sounded like it would avoid needing a public IP which I thought was simply a way of getting a static IP for my ISP connection?

I had sent a query to Rogers regarding this, but haven't had a reply.

Where I really want to get this working is on my Xplornet service at home, but I thought I would test it on the Rogers wireless because of the flexibility of being able to change cam locations.

The tech support at TZO did suggest I might have to contact Rogers about bridging. I tried the half bridging option of the Netcomm but without success.

For what it is worth I can ping from my network PC to the 25.XX.XX.XX address of the Netcomm router.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@randomr125:

you can find out the "external" IP address of your RocketHub by going to:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

You will find that it is different than the 25.... address that shows on the RocketHub.  It is likely a 74.... address.

For interest sake do a traceroute to a well-known address out there on the Internet, for example, to 8.8.8.8 and you will get some idea of the complexity of the actual connection from the Rogers network out to the Internet at large.

Whatever Xplornet does in this regard is unknown to me.  But I have found out both through personal experience and through the comments from others on this Forum that the cellular Internet connection provided by Rogers is not as "transparent" as we would want it to be.

And, you will be able to ping the 25..... address that shows on your RocketHub until the cows come home.  When I try to ping the 74. address that the above URL says is my IP address, I get no response.  And the 74... addess doesn't show up on the traceroute to 8.8.8.8 either.  Go figure.......

The DDNS service does in fact have functionality in this regard, but not here, it would seem.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Skinorth,

My networking knowledge is limited, but this shouldn't be rocket science. Given a little information from Rogers, we might be able to understand the capabilities and limitations of this service.

I would hope there is someone out there that can provide some answers to all of this. I won't rule out getting a static address - but before I do I would like to know why what I have now won't work.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@randomr125:

the cold hard fact is that Rogers and the other carriers are in the business of providing fairly basic consumer-grade functionality.  From the Roger's perspective, what you are trying to do is "outside the box" I would think.  They do business this way for both economic reasons and to limit their support liabilities.

For reasons that I do not understand, the IP address through which your Netcomm and my W35 connect to the Internet are not accessible from the Internet at large, nor do they respond to a ping.  There likely are rational technical reasons for this.  Whether those reasons are good and valid from your and my points of view is largely a question of perspective.  Ours obviously is different from that of Rogers.  It is likely that all it would take to change that is money.

Why does what you have right now not work?  This experience has been reported by a number of others as well.  It is always possible that all of us have to this point missed a possible solution.  Why this is so, we don't know.

And Rogers has not offered up an explanation to the best of my knowledge.  My suspicion is that the answers and explanation for the current situation can come only from someone with inside knowledge of carrier cellular/internet networks.  And even when we do get an explanation, that will not automatically mean that we will have a way to get around this roadblock without actually getting a public IP address.

skinorth

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks skinorth,

Yes, I have used tracert and know that you can bounce around the continent just to connect to a box around the corner.

As you alluded to, I keep thinking I may have missed something I could change that would get this working.

As recently as last night I put the cam address on the DMZ (config on the Netcomm), exposing it to the Internet in hopes that it might resolve this. No joy.

I understand that this cam idea may step beyond mainstream Internet usage today, but I believe from some of the apps I am seeing (ie. home security cams that let you answer someone at your front door from your smartphone), this streaming video requirement will increase.

I would be semi happy with a technical explanation for "This is why it doesn't work and you can't do anything about it".

I still have to test this on my Xplornet service, but I may have to look at a "Plan B" for the Rogers service.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Again, i beleive this has something to do with the extra layer, of adding the celular network in.

If you have ever had a celular device on the internet and found out the IP, you cant ping that either.

Rogers has no restrictions in that way, for their wired internet (other than the IP is dynamic and changes every once and a while).. i dont think its just that they block it somehow on the celular modems.

I could talk wired networking and regular internet till the cows come home, unfortunately, my information on the wired to wireless transtion is sparse.. but i know there is something there.