Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

The reboots have NOTHING to do with moitoring what you are watching.
Especialy since EVERY TV signal now, (bell, rogers, shaw, etc) are all digital, they have the capability of knowing what people are watching at ANY time anyways.

Agree'd though, the reboot, no matter WHEN they are, will cut into SOMEONES viewing time. 😞  They need to change it so they are not required, even if that means different hardware.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had Bell and Starchoice before Rogers.  Not one of those cable providers interrupted viewers watching tv to do 'so called upgrades'.  They would change the programming info for the following day but did not freeze or shut down your box.  I watched a news program from the U.S. that stated this is more about monitoring what customers watch and their habits than it is about a necessity of program upgrades.  Do they sell this info. to marketing experts.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is possible that they so sell the info, but there is no need for them to collect that data durring a restart.

Compared to sattalite, etc, digital cable is true two way communications, and they can collect our watching stats at any time.
(This is more how show ratings are done now, vs neilson boxes, etc. )

I've Been Around

Why can't they just add programming - where you can hold back the update and pick a more convenient time between 2:00 AM and 6:00AM that would be easy to do for them and it would not interrupt a good movie- I KNOW IT'S VERY ANNOYING !

Realizing the update has to be done - but they could add a little more flexibility to the software.

COME ON ROGERS PROGRAMMERS  FIX IT  !  YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST - STAY THERE !

Thomas_2013

I've Been Around

I was with Bell Fibe before  moving to a building in Cityplace in Toronto where it's Rogers or the highway.

The Fibe boxes are much faster and I don't remember the boxes updating and rebooting.

For me I get home from work at 1 am and they kill the best moment for me to relax and watch tv.

Last night the updates took between 30 and 45 minutes.

Morons!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, the rogers boxes need to often to a reboot, etc when updating (vs the Bell ones may not?)

They do update at usually midnight to 3am window for most people.

It is a MAJOR inconvienence for people like you who may work a later shift, etc.
There should be an option to CHOOSE the time.

But they likely chose those times, as after midnight, i am sure the % of people watching is extreemly low.

I've Been Around

And still 4 years later this hasn't been fixed! Every night at 2am on the dot! typing this as I wait for my box to reboot, some of us work evenings and want to watch what we've pvrd before settling in for the night
Last night it happened on the final stone of the Canada Korea game, may have been a repeat of the days game but I was at work earlier So it mattered to me that I missed it. Why am I paying for a service that constantly reboots when I try to watch it? Let me schedule the time, push that update asap
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ptrep:

I have the following workaround for you until the problem is fixed. Set the PVR to record a programme during this timeframe and the PVR will not reboot during the recording. Set it to record say one of the Stingray channels (ch 726). This takes very little hard drive space or PVR resources.  Just delete the recording the next day, or once a week.  This workaround has been successful as discussed in similar threads on the topic.

Here's a link to other Navigatr tips:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 12 in conversation