Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

I was wondering if it is actually true that it adds information to the guide, or if you are speculating, because the older guide didn't restart everynight. If it really does have to restart to add information but the old guide didn't, then why would they design it that way, I hope this is fixed in the future.

If you are annoyed by the Nextbox restarting you could try downgrading to the older guide.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From what we have been told, yes it is required.

Why exactly, we dont know... could be something as simple as HOW the data is loaded into the guide, requires a reboot for it to refresh, vs the old guide does not.

Correct, anyone can currently switch back to the old guide. but you will loose some of the features of the new guide.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello DiscoGranny

I have said this many times and so have others.. the new boxes use different guides and style. Its a newer version. That being said GDkitty is correct, the new boxes need to reboot for the update to be completed just like a computer or a cellphone. They need to restart to take affect and same goes with the new boxes. Why?ask Rogers why. Call them up and have them explain it. Not everything will be like how the old guide is and your stuck with that. Technology changes and is different. 

Yes you can change to the new guide but like GDkitty said, you will lose recordings and other features of the new guide.

I've Been Here Awhile

Had the same problem with very slow response on the NEXTBOX.  Enter the channel numbers on the remote control, nothing seems to happen, so you keep pressing, but a few seconds later, you would get a trial of numbers on the TV screen !!

One thing I found was when I got rid of my programmed in "Favourite Channels," I get a faster response on the remote control.

Very often after the 2 am update, my NEXTBOX would freeze, and I have to disconnect the box to get it to work again !!

What an equipment !!

2013/04/19

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello GDKItty or MeowMix,

How do you switch between the different guides, ie. the old and the new guide ?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Chikoko

You can call Rogers ask them send the update to the box with the old guide. It may take24-28 hours to get it. If you do not like the old guide, call back and have them send you the new update.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Meowmix has it right 🙂

For the old guide, you have to call in to have them push it back out.

This WILL erase everything on the box 99% of the time.

And remember, you will loose features like the CID on those boxes, whole home PVR functions, etc.

There is a way to get the new guide from the website, but some people have had issues with it.. so best to call for this one as well.  you might loose recordings, but not always when going to the new one.

I've Been Here Awhile

GDKitty and Meowmix,

Thanks for the advice.  Will keep the info and see how things go.

I Plan to Stick Around

I pay $190.00 per month for Rogers.  How dare they cut into my tv viewing at 2:00 a.m. I work shifts and enjoy my precious time.  This is insane.  I have a good notion in switching.

I Plan to Stick Around

And remember. something....after watching a U.S. show it was stated that cable companies do this to monitor what we watch so they can sale this info to advertisers, other sales etc.

Bell does not do this.  We lived in Gatineau and had Starchoice which was never a problem.  Canada needs more cable providers because Bell and Rogers think they are just too big to fail.