Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

I do not understand why I cannot record or watch shows at 2 a.m. If I am watching something/recording, 10-15 minutes will be cut while my dinosaur machine reboots itself. I say dinosaur, but I just received it 6 months ago.

The old system did not shut down my PVR or digital boxes every night at 2 a.m to upgrade. This is becoming ridiculous.

Given that, unlike Fibe, we can only record/watch 2 shows at a time, I record on my timeshifting, which is now utterly useless. 

Does anyone know if this happens as often with Fibe? 

Or is there any way to stop my stupid useless boxes from upgrading at 2 a.m. 

***Edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Netbox Firmware Upgrade is scheduled at the worst time

I have the same issue with Next Box and it is driving me crazy. I'm so disappointed with the service that I can't stand it any longer and am going to look into Bell. The late night downloads are insane and I haven't been able to watch TV for almost 30mins while it download software. It does this without warning and my programs either freeze or go blank. After a week of this I finally clued in that it happens every night around 2:30.

I Plan to Stick Around

Iathomas

No this does not happen with Fibe TV, they do their scheduled updates as needed but it never shuts down the recievers you can still continue to record or watch tv with no interruptions. I guess this is just with the crappy Netboxes that Rogers has, and yeah its sad that you can only recor/watch 2 shows at a time, the fibe is i believe up to 3HD /1SD at the same time can be recorded in different channels and still watch tv or another recorded program.. Hopefully Rogers can do something about this, but I dont think it is possible as netboxes are not capable of that. 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem with the Netbox 8642HD for the past 6 months.  I even went back to exchange the box, and still the same happens . . . .  firmware update at 2 am everynight interupting my show or recording.  Worse, sometimes the box hangs when it is doing the update !

Support services was no help.  They told me it is natural to update firmware EVERYNIGHT !!  I can't believe they are telling me this !!

Does anyone know how to turn off this automatic firmware update.  

I am a late night person, and is contemplating a switch to Bell.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Chikoko

At this time, there is no way anyone can turn it off. This is not just for the firmware updates, they update the guides & fix things as well. They also add channels & such on those updates as well.

Rogers knows about this but nothing has changed for the past 6-7 months its been out. Remember tho, the updates are Automatically from a computer & that just shuts off all the boxes at night for 5 minutes to update them & fix issues & such.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Now, these boxes don't do it with the old guide is my understanding.

That is one option, but you do loose some of the next box features.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

Exactly but why should we be forced to revert back to the old update for this to stop? Honestly Rogers should force the developers to find a way to have updates either come at a decent time at night ( 3-4am) or have us install the update our selfs. I understand the updates get sent out all at once but still tho. It would be better this way.

Going back to the old guide is good but not always good as Rogers wants more customers to enjoy the new NextBox look. Maybe they should start fixing the issues we all are having just like this one.

I do agree tho if you feel like going back to the old guide & not worrying about the update, its good on your part.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh I understand we shouldn't have to 🙂

Just giving options 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issues and have had the Nextbox only for a few months now. It is by far the worst system so people DO NOT even consider it. It's stubborn, slow at times as though it doesn't know what to do next when you give it a command, and downloads software updates almost daily that completely freezes your TV until it's done and that can take up to an hour so watching TV is useless. I'm almost out of patience and ready to cancel and move to Bell Fibe TV. Anything has to be better than Rogers Nextbox. Why would Rogers market a system when they haven't ironed out all the bugs?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello primoguy2001

As you know the box was FAR worse then what it is now. Now its getting slowly better with the updates but it still have issues / bugs. While yes the updates happen at 2am, the updates are NOT only for the box to get fixed & such. Its to update the guides, add new channels & such. 

As for the box, Bell boxes have similar problems if you do a research as well. While they do not have updates, they do have issues as well. Do a research before going to another company. Every cable provider boxes & guides have issues. You will not find one that is perfect.