Netbox 3 - PVR Playback "gaps"

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Netbox 3 - PVR Playback "gaps"

Just upgraded to the Netbox 3.0 Cable box & PVR and we are finding that for some recordings, the playback 'gaps out' for a second at random points during playback.  This happens to some shows but not all.  I tested with a show where we watched and recorded at the same time - the live show had no gaps but the recording did. A program that played back with gaps, when played again, still has the gaps in the same locations; therefore I assume the gaps are recorded.  Why would the PVR record a full audio/video gap (black screen, no sound) when the live transmission is fine? This happens to shows that record on their own or record when other shows are being recorded at the same time - there seems to be no specific property that causes this. Has anyone had this problem?

***Edited labels***

Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Netbox 3 - PVR Playback "gaps"

Is there any Community memeber able to assist @Kyle12 with their question?

RogersDarrell

I'm a Senior Advisor

There's nothing we can do about it, Darrell....its a HARDWARE PROBLEM.

Rogers really needs to acknowledge that, while it is better than the NB 2.0 disaster, the NB 3.0 still has some serious issues that need to be addressed by Rogers and its partner, Cisco.

Every thread here about NB 3 deals with audio dropouts or NB3.0's refusal to work with HDMI-CEC.  And I can point to numerous other message boards that complain about the same thing.

Rogers needs to acknowledge the issues and commit to fixing them instead of having their reps lie to customers and say 'We've never heard of this issue before'.

Hope this post was helpful.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers elise, in one thread, did say she would pass on the DD drop issue.. but not necessarily anything else Smiley Sad

bar it being an actuall recording issue.. (somehow recorded bad).. it shouldnt be a signal, as live TV is fine..

LIKELY.. when doing playback.. its some form of handshake issue, likely something to deal with CEC or other problems.
This seems to be a lot less common of an issue, but more than one person has reported it.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Kyle12 wrote:

...A program that played back with gaps, when played again, still has the gaps in the same locations; therefore I assume the gaps are recorded...

I've been testing this a little more and my above statement isn't entirely true.  I have been able to playback a recorded show cleanly when the previous (same show) playback was loaded with gaps.  I'd have to conclude now that this is clearly a playback issue. Since its my daughter that watches the most, she claims that the gapping is more frequent the more you use the pause and fast-forward - if you watch the show in one sitting without pausing or FF-ing, there are less or no gaps.  I wonder if this is a buffering problem in the hardware or maybe a decrypt/decompress lag. I'll keep going with the "trial and error" and hope we figure out a way to minimize or eliminate this - and post my updates here.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To go along with your testing.. JUST to see if this might be it, etc..

What type of TV are you connecting it to.. with what type of connection? hdmi?

DO you use, hdmi-CEC functions at all... (eg: when you turn the dvd player on, it auto tunes the TV to the dvd input, etc).

If you DONT specificaly use those.. then if you are able to.. try turning OFF those features on the TV.
(sometime called things like braviasync, etc.. depending on tv brand)

I'm a Senior Advisor

A shot in the dark here. Are these gaps, (blank screen) ir skips? Like the 3 minute commercial skip activating.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

To go along with your testing.. JUST to see if this might be it, etc..

What type of TV are you connecting it to.. with what type of connection? hdmi?

DO you use, hdmi-CEC functions at all... (eg: when you turn the dvd player on, it auto tunes the TV to the dvd input, etc).

If you DONT specificaly use those.. then if you are able to.. try turning OFF those features on the TV.
(sometime called things like braviasync, etc.. depending on tv brand)

I have a brand new Philips 46" 1080p Smart TV.  The only HDMI port being used is for the Netbox.  My DVD player is older and uses the composite connection.  I'll check the Philips guide and see if it talks about CEC.

Thanks Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

A shot in the dark here. Are these gaps, (blank screen) ir skips? Like the 3 minute commercial skip activating.

They are gaps, like lost time but only a second. The screen goes black with no sound when it happens.  I'm not aware of a commercial skip in the recording settings - does such a thing exist on the Netbox 3.0?

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't have the NB3, but I gather there is a 3 minute commercial skip feature available on playback. Someone else here can tell you which button.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario