Netbox 3.0 - no 1080p mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Netbox 3.0 - no 1080p mode

I have had the Netbox 3 for about a week now and am pleased with it.

The only problem so far is that I cannot set it to 1080p.

My TV can handle 1080p since two other devices use that.

I can set the Netbox to 1080i and it works fine. The picture is great quality just as it was with my previous PVRs.

However, when I try to set it to 1080p, it goes to 720p instead. I have tried several times to set it to 1080p without any success.

I have read that some people think the Netbox 3's image quality is not as good as the earlier PVRs. This would explain that, since you think you are in 1080p but are actually in 720p instead.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Netbox 3.0 - no 1080p mode

Why set it to 1080p when nothing is actually broadcast in 1080p?
I've Been Here Awhile

I don't think the 1080p option actually does anything at the moment.

When I select any other option, my TV actually changes modes (i.e., screen goes black momentarily, resets using the new resolution, and displays an info window with details of the new resolution). It does this for every mode except 1080p (i.e., SD, 720p, 1080i).

However, when you select 1080p, it pretends to "Begin Test", brings up the confirmation window, but never actually changes the screen mode. If you were in 480p mode before running the "1080p test", the TV stays in 480p mode.

What's worse, if I reboot the STB while in 1080p mode, it starts back up in 480p SD mode. When I go into settings, it still displays "1080p" but the TV is actually in 480p mode.

So, I suspect that the 1080p option in the Nextbox 3.0 menu doesn't actually work, or is somehow broken. Which is a shame, because assuming the decoder hardware can handle it, it would be nice to have the box upconvert everything to 1080p.
I've Been Here Awhile

Personally, I'd rather have the box upconvert 720p sources directly to 1080p, as this is a much easier conversion than having to interlace frames and therefore more likely to be higher quality.

I'm an Advisor

softsign:

It's debatable if having the NB upconvert to 1080p is worthwhile. If your display is 1080p, it's doing it anyway and, typically, displays do a better job than cable boxes. Assuming that it even works, where I could see setting the NB to 1080p would be if Rogers broadcasts 1080p content. Setting it to 1080p would pass it to your display as is, so no deinterlacing/upconversion would be required by either device. So far, no one is aware of Rogers broadcasting 1080p for anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just turned on my TV this morning and the signal was 720p.

Yesterday, It was set to 1080i.

Looks like the box was reset overnight.

When I looked at the Netbox 3 settings, they showed 1080p which of course makes the PVR output at 720p.

I changed the setting to 1080i and that is now what it is showing on my tv.

From now on I will check the PVR each morning to see how often it gets reset.

I seem to remember that the 8300HD PVR had a passthrough mode. I would then get the signal that the Networks were sending. It would vary from 480i, 720p, and 1080i.

Is that option still available?

I'm an Advisor

bennett2198:

I also had an 8300 and used pass through. As far as I know, on the NB 3, your only options are to pick an output resolution, which the box scales to. Out of the box, the default setting was 720p and I changed mine to 1080i, so any 720p content gets upconverted whether you like it or not. I never watch SD content, so it really doesn't bother me. Upconverting to 1080i is fine with me. I have also played with the 1080p setting and I actually get 480p as mentioned by another poster above. To get the 1080p setting to take effect, you actually have to reboot the box. When it comes back up, even though the setting says 1080p, it's doing 480p.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive only the SARA software on the 8300 and the 8642 had the passthrough.

The NB2 or NB3 guide on the 8642, and the 9865 all do auto upscaling to whatever setting you have it set to (well.. other than the flakey 1080p )

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yeah, the lack of a passthrough option is what makes a functioning 1080p option important. Otherwise, I'd be happy to just let the AV receiver or TV do the upconversion.

For 720p sources, it doesn't make a lot of sense for the STB to upconvert and interlace frames to get 1080i, then go deinterlace and artificially recreate a full 60 fps. Seems to me it'd be much easier and better to go straight from 720p->1080p if you can.

Fortunately, most of the Rogers channels are 1080i AFAIK, which means this won't be a huge issue. Just an annoying one for people like me. Smiley Tongue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even about 1+ years back, majority was 720 i think.. but as you said, MOST is 1080i now.

I would GUESS part of it was.. is that there was sometimes a BUG in the older software... wasnt SUPER common, but did effect some.
I know i got it a number of times, on my 1080p lcd i had at the time, with my 8300.

When it would switch between a 480i to 1080i channel on the box.. you would hear an audible click often as it did it.. and your TV would have to switch modes.
Now in current TVs, likely not as much an issue they are probably better built to handle it... but at that time, could often lock the TV up itself... have to turn it off and on.