NetFlix App

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

NetFlix App

I think rogers should somehow include a netflix app on their pvr's so that I do not need to use my WII to access it.  Maybe include it as a menu option or something.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NetFlix App

At this point they wouldn't. While the boxes do have a network port, they are not in use, therefor the Rogers boxes are not connected to the Internet, so can't access Netflix

I Plan to Stick Around

You would think that a "Communications" company as large as Rogers would enable the already included technology in their boxes.  Especially since including NetFlix on their boxes would be one way to stop people from cord cutting.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

You know why they are not adding it? Because no one would pay money to watch movies from Rogers on Demand. This will lower the money they get each month so they do not want to do that.

Yes the boxes have the network port but Rogers chooses not to included Netflix for that reason. IF you pay $8 a month for netflix then Rogers will lose money from people watching movies & such from ROD for the same price or less.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Actually, the Cisco Explorer 8642 HD does report having an IP Address. While not connected via ethernet, They get IP traffic via MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

True, they do get an IP.
But thats an internal IP.. it only goes/is accessible via the rogers network, and not the internet.

I'm Here A Lot

Shomi wasn't on Rogers' network, but the pvr was able to access that. Bell has the same setup going so your TV usage doesn't count against data. Those pvrs can watch both an internal product (crave tv) and an external product (netflix). I call on Rogers not being able to enable it network side. Maybe the Cisco explorer boxes can't handle it... It's already slow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it.. Shomi goes by a bit of a different method.

The Shomi on the net, and shomi via the cable box, were actually TWO different products per say.
They just didnt play the same content, from the same source, etc.

The web/app, was all from one... but the TV box access came from a seperate source. 
its also why the box content was sometimes missing stuff on shomi there.. since that content was already on RoD.
It was doing an On Demand stream really, for Shomi there.. NOT a regular netflix IP stream.

And that is where Bell has the advantage, with much easier having the netflix app there.
Bell fibe as a whole, is IP based.  Its IPTV.  So the regular TV watching, is an IP stream.
Very simple at that point, to put other apps on there to pull from other IP based services.

I dont think that we are likely going to see anything on the rogers boxes, until the IPTV comes through.. 😞
(which will not be until 2018 it looks like by latest reports.  Rogers has been having so many issues with their own IPTV stuff, they are droping their own, and buying the tech for it from comcast)