NetComm 3G10WVR problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NetComm 3G10WVR problems

Just spent a half hour on the Netcomm site to see if I could download any soft/firmware, and their search engine "can't find any results for 3G10WVR".  I guess it doesn't exist.  Maybe that's why we're having problems with it.  Gawd....  😕

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Shotgun I'll try to explain a bit more clearly. 

I know the issue has nothing to do with Google.. From what I gather the DNS information is going bad/missing every 5 min. Instead I was suggesting instead of relying on the faulty hardware that you would set your computer to point at a different DNS server which might solve your problem.

I chose Google since they have a very good and fast DNS server as well as pretty good instructions.

Let me know which operating system you are using (Windows, Mac OSX)  and I will try to walk you through it.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have windows vista

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't have vista but windows 7 should be the same:

DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection. 

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows 7

1. Go the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and click Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
  5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
  8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
  9. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
  10. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
  11. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, I did it.  Was a little nervous about it because I don't understand what it's all about.  That will change tonight when I get home and read up on it.  Spent about 15 minutes hitting sites with lots of pictures, because that's what seems to set it off, and so far so good.  Thanks Chris, I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well a quick explanation of what DNS is...

The internet all runs on ip address's. Computers know how to find each other by ip and how to find other servers and such by ip. But for us humans using ip address's isn't as nice. Imagine you were trying to go to this website and had to type http://208.74.204.155 <- thats not very user friendly...

So instead you type in http://communityforums.rogers.com but computers don't know how to get there because they use ip addresses.. So what the computer does is asks a Domain Name Server (DNS) to translate the communityforums.rogers.com into the ip address of the server. The DNS server looks up the domain and returns the IP so your computer can find the site.

There are thousands of DNS servers, every company has their own and they are all synchronized throughout the day to make sure they all have the same information.

In this case I've gotten you to get your computer to point to the google maintained DNS servers instead of the rogers ones or whatever the faulty hardware was trying to get you to point at.

Previously your hardware would try to tell your computer which DNS servers to use, now we are telling your computer what to use.
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the info on DNS settings Chris!

@Shotgun, if changing your DNS settings has corrected the issue, please let us know. If the issue persists, there could be an issue with the hardware and you may need to change to the Ericsson Rocket Hub.

RR
I Plan to Stick Around

So far so good.  Been on the internet all day on and off, and no problems.  Here is the fun part...the wife's laptop just quit interneting, and the desktop I'm on kept on working.  Power cycled the hub, and hers started working again.  Exact opposite of what's been happening.  So now, I probably need to change her settings.  Only problem is she has XP, and I couldn't figure out how to do it.  I'll google it and figure it out.

Somebody deleted an earlier post of mine, I guess it wasn't informative enough.  I'll try harder from now on.  😄

Chris, do you work for Rogers?  If not, they should be paying you.  I have a gut feeling this might be the answer, I'll know in a few days.

Good thread, if you google "Problems with netcomm 3G10WVR"  we're at the top of the page!

I Plan to Stick Around

Just changed the wifes settings.  And now we play the waiting game....

I'm a Senior Advisor

The link I posted earlier (https://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html) tells how to change it in many different operating systems. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware in question so I have no way of figuring out a better fix to the problem.

Nope I don't work for Rogers and they don't compensate me for helping.. Hopefully one day they will.