NetComm 3G10WVR problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Re: NetComm 3G10WVR problems

@Chris

Thanks for the helpful information, as you participate more in our forums, your ranking increases.

Smiley Very Happy

I'm Here A Lot

I am also having dissconnect issues with the Erricson W35 Hub. I have 6 of these units and 2 NetComm on my island and we are all having issues with loosing our Internet. Usually the issue corrects itself, but as a rule I reboot when it looses the connection and it comes back. The other bothersom feature is the thruput, which will start out fast and responsive and get slower as we move to more webpages. I would describe this problem as "bursting" in that it is fast only in bursts and then can't seem to find anything.

I have every posibble type of connection, strong signal with the Hub itself, connected to a 900mhz antenna, connected to a multi-frequency omni antenna, connected to a mutli-band HSPA 24db yagi antenna and connecting with a marginal signal with the Hub only. All this is to say that it does not seem to make any difference to the continuity of service regardless of the signal strength. Even with full bars, it still looses pages and drops the service.

Could this be a bandwidth shaping issue? Is the cel traffic affecting the iInternet traffic ? Is there priority at Rogers for voice over data on the cel network ?

What is the actusl frequency of the Rogers HSPA network ?

I will continue to post any further developments as I work towards solving these issues

I'm a Senior Advisor

@saturnabob Try the DNS fix I mentioned above. Try it on one machine and see if you see a difference and if when others go down that one machine keeps working.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Saturnabob, read what Chris wrote for me.  He has found the problem.  I'm 24 hours and hundreds of pages visited, and not one disconnect.  Went on a rampage last night for 5 hours visiting dozens of websites and hundreds of pages, and enjoyed the heck out of my first really true high speed internet ever without problems.

The first sign the hub is weakening, is it quits displaying pictures, follwed quickly by being unable to display any (new) website.  A good test is when it quits, go back to the last website you were on and see if it still loads.  If it does then you have a DNS problem.  You probably won't see any pictures, but the site will load and work.  It takes about 5 minutes and limited computer knowledge to change the DNS.  It speeds everything up because the performance isn't degrading right after you power cycle it.

Hey Rogers dudes, maybe you should hire Chris, he seems to really know his stuff.  At least send him a case of Bud Light. :-)

Thank you Chris, you have saved me (and probably countless others) a pile of grief.

Now I hope it doesn't screw up again after all that... 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Shotgun Thanks for the praise. I try my best to help out. I don't know about a case of beer but if Rogers would give me some more bandwidth... Netflix is killing my allotment... 20GB in 4 days... 

Or they could send me some of the hardware I'm supporting for them so I could come up with a better fix...

@Saturnabob it would be interesting to see if your having the same issue.  Let us know how it goes.

I Plan to Stick Around

Still working with out any problems.  So, for me anyways, that was the solution.  Thanks again Chris.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Glad to hear it's still working.. From the description I thought that would be the problem.. Still an issue with the hardware is my guess. I wish I had it so I could see if you can set you own static DNS servers to give the clients so you wouldn't have to do it manually on each computer. At least you only had 2 machines to fix..
I Plan to Stick Around

I was having the same DNS problems as shotgun.  It seems to be a common problem with the Netcomm model (other threads and forums on the net seem to have a lot of complaints about this issue as well).

A roger's tech swapped the unit out for a W35.  It has been working for 4 days straight without any problems, and actually going at faster speeds than my netcomm was with lower signal strength (I haven't got the adapter to hook it up to my outdoor antenna yet).  So I assume then that is a hardware defect in some of the netcomms.

That ip fix Christ posted seemed like a clever way to bypass the unit.  Since the W35's are very hard to come by, it seems like a great fix for the problem some of the netcomms seem to have.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey mods, could this be made into a sticky?  So many people are having problems with the netcomm, and the answer is right here, so it would be nice if it didn't get lost when we quit posting on it.  If I was a mod, I would delete this post, lock it, and stick it!  :-)

(That's the way the big boards handle topics like this - saves lots of useless threads)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Also maybe re-point the accepted solution link since the problem persisted after the solution was accepted....