NetComm 3G10WVR problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NetComm 3G10WVR problems

I'm having the exact same problem.  During the 15 day trial, it was doing it at most a few times a day, but now its cutting out ever couple minutes.  I'll call tech support as well and post my results here.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just got off tech support with the same problem.  He said it was most likely a hardware defect and is sending me a new unit (one of the Erikson's actually).  Because it was happening with all my devices' internet at once, and the signal strength was strong, it was most likely not my computers or the signal - leaving either the Hub or the network itself

I Plan to Stick Around

The techs never called back, and i don't really expect they will now.  I was thinking the same thing - try the Ericksson.  Let us know how it goes. 

This has just gotten stupid - it's every 5 -10 minutes now.  Wish I could just get decent internet...this is my 3rd provider in the last 5 years.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

upon looking further into it, it turns out some of the netcomms drop the DNS.  That means they are still connected to the internet, but are unable to translate a domain name (like google.ca) into an ip address to connect to.  You'll notice if you are already connect to MSN or a game or using p2p, that after the internet "stops working" they will keep functioning.  I'm not sure if this is a network problem, a hardware issue, or a firmware issue, but nobody with the erikson seems to be complaining about it.  Mine should arrive early this week, I will update after using it for a couple days.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, that's what's happening.  As long as I stay on the same site, i'm ok, it's when I switch sites.  If the Erickson works, i'll be hollering for one right away. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Update on the Netcomm saga...

The techs didn't call back, so I called there again today.  Hub was "disconnecting" every 5 minutes.  The tech got me to do something, and it seems to have lessened the problem.  I've been on the net steady for 2 hours, and only had to power cycle it once.  Pictures are showing up on all websites, which means it isn't tettering on the edge as much.  I'll know more in a few days if it's really helping or it's just having a good night.  Here is what I did...

Type 192.168.1.1 into your address bar.  A box will appear wanting username and PW.  Type admin into both.  The Netcomm page will appear.  At the top, click on 3G settings/setup.

On the new page, click disconnect at the bottom.  This will disconnect you from the internet.

There will be a box that says "fixed isp APM and Custom APM.  Select Custom APM.  Then in the box below that says APM, clear it out and type in "internet.com."    Click "save" at the bottom.

On mine, IP compression and Data compression were off, and I left them off, and the 'All bands/automatic was checked, and it was left that way.

The tech said this was a more stable setting, and for tonight anyways, it seems to have helped.

I don't recommend doing this if your not sure what you're doing, or terrified of making a mistake on a computer.

Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the update Shotgun!

Check back in in a few days and let us know how that goes.

RR
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the update.  The ericsson hasn't arrived yet so I'm going to try that while I wait.

If you look up "3g10wvr DNS problems" you'll see quite a few people are having problems with this issue on the netcomm model.

Hopefully somebody comes up with a firmware update for it.

*edit:  I also noticed if power the modem off over night, it lasts longer in the day before dropping the DNS on me.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Try manually setting your dns settings on your connection.. usually right click -> properties -> advanced -> then enter something like google's dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 If you need further instructions check out : https://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, that didn't work for long.  It just screwed up 5 or 6 times in less than an hour.  Pretty sick of it all.  Goodbrew, do you have your Erickson yet?

Chris, could you be a little more specific on how to manually set the DNS settings?  I'm not the geekiest computer guy, and I wouldn't even attempt something like that without more info, since i don't think I have anything to do with google.