Need to change plans to change SIM?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Need to change plans to change SIM?

I was looking at upgrading to an iPhone 5s from my current Blackberry, but Rogers told me that I'd have to change my plan from 90$ to 125$ per month because the iPhone 5s isn't listed under my plan. I then asked if I bought a used one could I go that route and they told me I'd only be able to save 10$ so I'd still have to change my plan to 115$ per month. Why would I have to change my plan to get a new SIM card to fit a different phone? This makes no sense to me as I'm not buying the phone from Rogers.

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Need to change plans to change SIM?

As is often the case when you speak to a Rogers rep, some of them give you incorrect information. I have been told both by a social media rep on Facebook as well as a Rogers rep in a store that if you purchase your own phone and your current SIM card is not the correct size, that all you have to do is bring in your old SIM card to a Rogers Plus outlet and they will transfer the information to a new SIM card for you. I was also told that there would be no charge to do this. I do not think you have to change your plan at all when you provide your own phone. A Rogers rep posted about this on DSL Reports.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29321065-Wireless-Rogers-Hardware-Upgrades-Will-Require-80-Plans-St...

Just for your information, if you do change your phone through an upgrade from Rogers, there are changes coming effective June 17. It is much better now to provide your own phone!

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-hardware-upgrade-80-month-june-17/

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To change sims.. cost at most, the cost of the SIM card.

There is nothing preventing you from using a 3rd party phone from another location (as long as its unlocked).

The issue here, stems from your plan.. where at least partially the rep was correct.
I am guessing, you are on a blackberry, OLDER than the newer blackberry 10 series?

Those phones, all used the BIS (blackberry internet service).  It was its own form of propritary internet service, using a special form of compression that only the blackberry used (actually ended up using 1/3 less of the data than a normal smartphone).
This data plan, is NOT compatable with any other phone unfortunately..

So yes, you would have to change your plan.

What specific things were you looking for IN the plan itself? (amount of data, etc) and can see what plan is best.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I currently have 2 Blackberry Z10 phones on my Share Everything plan. I couldn't believe it when they told me I'd have to pay 35$ per month more just to use a different phone.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Here's my plan costs.

My Phone

90$/month Share Everything 3GB + 3GB Smart Picks (no longer offered) Estimated monthly cost 107.34$

2nd Phone

40$/month Smart Picks Sharing - Estimated Monthly Cost 50.84$

Avg Monthly cost 163.29$

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, if you are on Z10's, then you are OK plan wise.. and the rep was incorect.

IF you were getting new phones from rogers, there are MINIMUM $ values that have to be met, to meet the requirements for the hardware discount.

BUT, if you are bringing your own phone.. then NO, all you should have to do, is go and switch sim cards.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

It's also possible that the rep that gave you the previous (incorrect) information was mistaking your current 3+3 GB plan (which was a previous promo) for the 6 GB plan offerred now, which MAY explain the difference in price? Just my 2 cents.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I can't see why in the world they'd say the promo plans aren't still there. The current priceplan was given to you on a promotional basis (from what I am relating it to, it would have been an upgrade from a talk+text plan at some point in the past) , so your second lines are saving $10 a month right now on their own. If you wanted to do a new Premium Line and you were no longer eligible for the 3+3 promotion (to this I would call and ask and perhaps probe a bit more - - depending on when you made the switch I don't think it's unfair to say that at the time you had made the switch had you known you would be eligible for the same price plan base + the additional $10 on the main for the smartpick -> premium, that you would have taken THAT plan in advance to hold onto it.. It's worth a try!) and you wanted to keep your 6GB of data, you'd be looking at $125 for the main line and $50 for the BBs absolutely. If you were okay with doing a 4GB plan you'd be at $110+$50, 2GB would be $90+$50. 

🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And I'm a fool and I've clearly read all of that wrong, you're bringing your own device so don't even fuss with anyone over the phone - go into the store and ask for a new Nano SIM for the cell phone # you would like to use on the 5S and you're set :D! They must have thought, like myself intially, you were looking to subsidize one from us. Sorry for the confusion!