Need advice on new WIFI set-up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Need advice on new WIFI set-up

I am trying to set-up my own WIFI in my house and need some advice.

I currently have an older Motorola Surfboard modem (SB5102) hooked directly (via network cable) to my iMAC and everything is working.  I want to add WIFI so that I can connect my PS3, iPod and Android celphone wirelessly.  I would not be playing games on the PS3 over WIFI...just downloading DLC and game updates.

I do have an older D-Link DI-624 wireless router that I can hook up.

However, i was just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for my set-up.  Would the  D-Link DI-624 be enough, or is there a router that I can get at Futureshop that is easy to set-up and would work with all my gadgets? 

Would it be easier and better just to rent a Gateway modem from rogers?  I was loooking at the "Wireless G Gateway"...the one for $5.00 a month. Dont; really want to spend $12.00 a month for the ADVANCED WIFI rental.  (This forum seems to not like any of the Rogers Gateways.)

just looking for the lest complicated solution.

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Need advice on new WIFI set-up

Least complicated/number of devices.. will definately be the gateway.   BUT.. as you said yourself.. the quality overall on pretty much all of them, possibly bar the latest one.. is pretty poor.

The big question comes down to DISTANCE.. where the router will be, and where these devices will be connecting too.
If a small apartment, etc.. the gateways, especially the new one, should be more than enough signal wise.. (though some do experience OTHER issues with them).

If it is larger than that.. you may want to look at a proper router, to gain better signal coverage.

While your DL-624 would work.. it is rather old, and quite far behind on standards.  You would get better performance (speed, etc) out of a newer one.

Any of the standard Dlink or linksys or ASUS  wireless N routers, should be more than suitable.  Usually they are pretty easy to set up.. (have a cd that runs a wizzard, etc).

Bigest thing you will probably have to do, is reset your modem itself.. it is likely locked into the MAC address of your iMAC.. so you would need to do a reset on it, so it can detect your router when you plug it in. (Usually hold the reset button down for a good 10 seconds).

Any other questions, please ask 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply.

My current set-up as the modem and iMac in my basement.  The PS3 is almost directly above the modem on the main floor (about 20 ft away).  Not much distance.

Would you reccomend just getting a new router from Futureshop, rather than a gateway from Rogers?

(FS has a  D-Link Wireless N 300 Gigabit Router on sale for $29.00)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generaly yes, i would say, that is the better way to go.

It would give you better range than the gateways anyways likely.  Even though you are not far.
They do seem to run more STABLE too.

Now, the only other thing to consider.. is your speeds/usage.
Not sure what plan you are on now... but using the current modem you have, you are likely not getting the same speeds/usage limits as that are listed on the website.
These speeds, do require you to use one of the GATEWAYS.   If you would like these increases, you would need to switch.

All that being said.. you can still with a gateway, put it into BRIDGED mode, efectively turning it into a modem only, and use a 3rd party router for better wireless.

I Plan to Stick Around

I was on ultra-light, but now I am on "Light" usage.  Just enough for us to get email, watch a few videos on utube, Skype a couple times a month, and download a few patches and updates for things.  We are not heavy users, and never approach our limits.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, then yeah, I would say, a new router, and your set

I Plan to Stick Around

I bought a D-link router yesterday and had everything hooked up and working within about 15 minutes.  It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

iMac connected right away.

PS3 connected immediately, and I was able to use the browser.  Could not connect to the Playstation Network...but that was due to the fact that the PS3 wanted me to update the system software. Signal strength at the PS3 is 100%.  (1 floor up from router)

iPod and Android Phone connect pretty quickly as well.  Had a bit of trouble with the Androut phone pickig up the network...it ould see the 5 gig signal...and pick up the 2.4 gig signal every now and then.  COnnected through the 5 gig signal and it seems to be runnig fine.

Have a few dead spots in the house for wireless signal, but I loose celphone signals in those spots as well.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problem.. glad you got it all up and working.

Houses.. there is SO much that can cause interfearance.. from other electronics/wireless stuff.. to metal i beams (and metal studs in new houses, etc).

I'm a Trusted Contributor

That is why good old wired connection remains to be the best choice:)