Need Help!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Need Help!

I just recently got a BB bold 9780 with this plan:

BB Social Plan w/Messaging, 6pm Early Evenings, 150 Weekday Minutes, Unlimited Eve & Wknd Minutes

Included with My Plan: BB Social Networking & IM, Messaging Bundle Unlimited, Partial Detail BillingCall Forward/Trans.Pay Per Use

My problem is that I have almost full internet access (app world still needs a wifi connection, and so do others), even with wifi radio turned off, when my plan doesn't include data beyond the social networking an im. I'm able to go online thru the browser and look at webpages not already in the history or tabs. Am I being charged for this or is this some glitch because it says on the rogers website that anyone not subscribed to a data plan or data pass will be restriced from access with a prompt forcing you to buy data prior to any useage. Oh and I can use my phone as a tether too

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Need Help!

Update:

Talked to a tech support guy through live chat and he said that i shouldn't be able to be doing what im doing and that it's not showing up anywhere that i'm using any data, which is true because my account says i dont have any data useage when i try to look at it. it shows my voice useage just fine though, which i find strange. Nevertheless he said i had two options: either call customer care and get them to remove then add back the plan, or i should just continue useing the data because it's not charging me... this is a rogers tech support guy telling me this, not some third party company. his senior supervisor said the same thing. why are rogers tech people telling me i have the option to use free data if i decide to, when they clearly said i'm not being charged for any data (even though i've already used a bit)? isn't there some sort of protocol for what happens when customers report unrestricted use of a system they have no business using? I'm not paying for a data plan, therefore i don't have a bill for one, so how do they charge me anything when even the rogers tech can't even detect or see that im using data. i also saved the chat log in case they act like i never tried to warn them of this

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi silversurfer28 and welcome to the forums,

The social networking plan does not include full data access.

If you are still able to browse, this MAY be due to an old service book (If you previously had full data access) that has not updated yet. To rule that out, you can use the desktop manager to perform a backup of your device and then do the following:

Desktop Manager 5:

Click Backup/Restore

Click Advanced

Under your device section, select the Service Books entry

Click Delete

Once it is done, remove and re-insert your battery and try it again.

Desktop Manager 6:

Click Device at the top left

Click Delete Data

Click Select Data

Scroll to Service Books and check the box beside it

Click Delete

Once it is done, remove and re-insert your battery and try it again.

If it still works after that, I would recommend checking with customer care at 1866-931-3282 to ensure it is truly not available with your current provisioning. If it is not included, you can escalate this either through customer service or technical support advising them you are getting full data access with a social networking plan.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I never previously had full data access, this is a brand new phone with a brand new contract. I tried what you said and there were 7 entries in the service book section, so i deleted those, did the battery pull, turned on the phone and nothing changed. I can still use internet. I already talked to customer service, went to an actual rogers store, used the live support web chat, and warned them all about my problem but they all say that there isn't any useage activity showing up so according to them for all intensive purposes, there is nothing wrong with my account, that it's unexplainable what im able to do. they all say watch my account activity in the data section to see if/when it will start showing any activity.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

If that is what you have been informed multiple times then it will be listed on your account, which covers you of any costs (granted you do not wait a few months before letting us know). This may simply be due to a delay/error in our backend that should automatically straighten itself out. If you believe those answers are inadequate, the other option you have is to contact our technical support at 1866-931-3282 and have them escalate the issue.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the unlimited social networking and e-mail plans DO give unlimited data to the device, however the device allows or blocks surfing based on what service books are pushed from ROGER'S end to the client. Perhaps rogers didnt send the provisioning to remove the default service book yet, so i would just call them and have them do a re-send to switch on your line. you can also go to host routing tables, and register again and see if it works, otherwise if they do not figure this out, i would just forget about it and let it be, there is NO POSSIBLE way for them to charge you for the extra data you surfed, your data plan is technically unlimited but restricted to BB phones, it even says so in myaccount when you view it. just enjoy it while it lasts buddy