Need Digital Box or Not

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Need Digital Box or Not

Do I need a digital box or HD box for a old TV. So I can watch all reg. channels? What is a digital adapter?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Need Digital Box or Not

Currently, there is still analog signals sent across the cable.   Though this will probably disapear sometime in the near future.. currently there is.

You could connect an old Tv right to the cable, and get limited chanels.. cant remember if its in the 30 or 50 range.. but not much more than that.

To receive any other channels past that, you would need a digital box of some form.

Now, you dont have to get the HD boxes, etc.. you could get the SD ones, which are cheaper, and have basic video outputs.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers want to give me a free digital adapter. Where do they put it? outside-inside? one works foe the hole house?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it goes to each tv.  think of how satellite dish receivers and vcrs work, one per tv. 

I Plan to Stick Around

The digital adapter goes with the tv.   You may not need it yet but you will  soon to allow the viewing of channels above basic.  Each tv that you have will need one,   The adapter is a very basic digital box, it come with a remote, I would take it now before they flip the switch.      

I Plan to Stick Around

How many can I have

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The question should be refrased as how many tv do you have? or more importanly, how many cable outlets are you authorized to have on your cable services? That is the REAL QUESTION.

Lots of people pay for one outlet, but do multiple splits and connect 8 analog tvs, to it. that is illegal. so if ur doing that, sorry, you can kiss your extra outlets goodbye and pay for them like I have been doing all my life.

I've Been Here Awhile

Keep in mind that if you have one of these new analog to digital converter boxes and you record programs on multiple channels you will have to make sure the box is on that channel when it is time to record. Also you won't be able to record one channel and watch another as you were with the analog signal.

I called Rogers about this as it is completely ridiculous and all I got was "I will report your concerns"This means nothing will be done about it.

Come on Rogers, give me a reason to have faith in you. Yes I already know if you have a HDPVR you can record up to 2 programs on different channels at the same time. You still have to watch one of them. At least on mine you do. So the technology is out there you just need to utilize it in one of your " free"  digital adapters.

Regards

DH.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yes its called hdpvr technology.

the dtas are low cost. so why would it have every feature? unlikely

I've Been Here Awhile

Doesn't need to have every feature, just the ability to change channels when you want.