cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigatr keeps asking for Parental Control PIN

lgarey
I Plan to Stick Around

I posted this as a reply in another thread, but I'm putting another one out there to see if I can get some help.

This morning when I turned on my TV to listen to the radio, I noticed that the much advertised Navigatr was loaded - great... what will the problems be? I was locked out of EVERY channel as they all required my Parental Control PIN. My previous parental control is only for TV-MA, and I have never had this happen before. 

I put in my PIN and unlocked the channels and decided to check my parental controls. Oh wait, I can't... because settings won't load AT ALL. Rebooted, cuz hey, who knows.  After the 15 minute reboot I'm locked out again, need a PIN to access anything and still can't load my Settings. Then I noticed my PVR recordings are all gone - WHAT? 

I have another NextBox on a TV (no PVR setup). It loaded just fine - no parental controls needed and it loads the settings just fine.

What's going on Rogers? If you're going to roll out a new program how about we check for ALL POSSIBLE PROBLEMS? Cuz it's sounds like there are lots. By the end of the this day I imagine Rogers will be inundated with complaints from people realizing their PVR programs are gone, and likely other glitches have happened.

My question - anyone else struggling with Parental Control issues and no Settings loading? Solution?

Next question - think Rogers will compensate any of this? LOL, me neither. The lesser of two evils...but I'm going to reconsider switching to the other evil, cuz lately it's just one thing after another...

***Edited Labels***

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Navigatr keeps asking for Parental Control PIN

lgarey
I Plan to Stick Around

Your suggestions are not so helpful if we can't get into the settings. I'm glad you could, the problem is if you can't access settings you can't turn off parental controls. I've unlocked them on a ton of channels, only to have them locked the next time the box is turned on. I've talked to Rogers, I've waited on hold for ages, I've been contacted by a Community Moderator, I've sent various information to tech engineers. What I haven't had is anyone tell me that they are going to find a way to make this up to me. The guy on the phone would not put me through to anyone who could discuss compensation, nor would he entertain any questions of compensation. Instead he gave me a sob story about how they have been working on this update for a year and on occassion there can be glitches... yeah, but if that occassion affects EVERYONE who has one of your PVR boxes and you guarantee no lost programing and better service (see FAQ for Navigatr) then you make up for it.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive he was talking about the settings on the myrogers?

lgarey
I Plan to Stick Around
I've reset the PIN to 0000. I don't see an option through myrogers to disable the parent controls.

What am I missing?

Hello @lgarey,

Unfortunately you cannot disable the PIN through MyRogers. You can only reset it. That was a workaround for customers who were unable to reset their pin through the box. 

Customers who are able to access their settings but keep getting prompted for a PIN can disable the PIN as @jkroesen stated previously by following the steps below.

1. Press [SETTINGS].
  2. Scroll down to Parental Controls and press [OK/SELECT].
  3. After pressing [OK/SELECT] a PIN entry prompt will appear. Enter the default PIN "0000" or the PIN number that you already created previously.
  4. Keep scrolling down until you reach parental PIN; then press [OK/SELECT].
  5. Enable/Disable/Change PIN options will appear. Scroll to the Change option (Disabled) and press [OK/SELECT].
  6. Enter the default PIN or the previously saved PIN.

Screenshot of Parental PIN settings: 

PP.png

Thanks,

RogersHassam 

Customers who are able to access their settings but keep getting prompted for a PIN can disable the PIN as @jkroesen stated previously by following the steps below.

OK, but what about those of us who have a blank screen for the settings?

And, as if constantly having to enter a parental control pin is annoying enough, certain channels keep defaulting to described video no matter how often I try to turn it off. Is there any way to fix that?

lgarey
I Plan to Stick Around

I posted a longer reply in the Navigatr wiped my drive thread.

Rogers called this evening. I'm not happy with what happened, but I get that mistakes happen.

I wanted rogers to make it right, and for me they have.

Hello @DaveH1,

Certain channels defaulting to described video even after trying to disable the option is also a known issue and effecting some customers. We are aware that the Navigatr is currently giving issues and the appropriate teams are working around the clock for an urgent fix. We appreciate everyone's patience while waiting for the fix and understand that it is frustrating. 

I will have CommunityHelps PM you and they will escalate a ticket to engineering for the described video issue you are having. Please keep an eye on your inbox. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

carolyn1
I've Been Here Awhile

Since July 29th we have been having the same issues as other Rogers' clients with the new Navigatr: lost our recorded shows, Navigatr menu settings is not displayed, parental control PIN is required everytime we turn on the TV, having to listen to described video on a number of shows (cannot turn off due to no Navigatr menu settings).  Every two days we receive a recorded message from Rogers advising that the issue is being fixed.  Today we received another recorded message saying the issues have been fixed.  We re-booted the PVR, turned off TV and then turned on PVR and TV.  Unfortunately, nothing has changed.  Parental Controls are still in place.  No Navigatr menu settings available.

Now I have to call Rogers tech support and go through the same hassle again.

Rogers - when will you fix the many issues???

lem1
I Plan to Stick Around
I also received a message from Rogers stating the matter is resolved, when it is clearly not. Or, I wonder, does Rogers consider it resolved because they aren't going to fix it.

goaway1
I've Been Around

I have the exact same symptoms.

We have called Rogers 3 x in the last 2 weeks.  They have provided no information to help resolve the issue. We don't ever seem to deserve the recorded call every 2 days.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@lem1 wrote:
I also received a message from Rogers stating the matter is resolved, when it is clearly not. Or, I wonder, does Rogers consider it resolved because they aren't going to fix it.

Many people on other forums are also getting the recorded phone calls from Rogers stating that their issues have been resolved and report the same as you do - that issues have not been resolved. Would it not be possible for Rogers to actually call these customers and at least ask them if things are better? How can you can inform people that their issue has been resolved without at least checking first? 

normu
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers did a new firmware download to my PVR (cisco 8642) on the weekend aug 8. I now can access the settings menu (couldn't before) and I was able to turn off parental controls permanently.  Everything seems fine now, except I will not ever get my erased recorded shows back.   The new Navigatr TV Guide is so hard to read The fonts are to small and too large. The old TV guide was fine for font size. Some times the new guide had white text on a light yellow background , impossible to read.  I really hope they redo the fonts and colors soon

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 in conversation