NOKIA LUMIA 900: LTE, 4G and Internet Sharing Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YYZBear
I've Been Here Awhile

NOKIA LUMIA 900: LTE, 4G and Internet Sharing Issues

I got a new NOKIA LUMIA 900 from one of the Rogers stores a couple of weeks ago. The salesperson just removed the SIM CARD from my old iPhone and placed in the new LUMIA 900. Although you can place phone calls and browse the Internet, that old SIM CARD is not fully compatible with the LUMIA 900. Here are the issues with the old SIM CARD:

PROBLEM:

• LUMIA 900 couldn't connect to LTE network. It would briefly display 4G and then switch back to 3G. I live in Toronto, and it didn't matter what part of town I was in, it was always 3G.
  •  INTERNET SHARING, you could enable it, but no devices could connect to the wi-fi broadcasted. For some reason, that feature only works with LTE or 4G.

SOLUTION:

It was difficult to find someone in the ROGERS Technical Support to provide an answer to this problem, and after dozens of calls, I got someone with the answer. Here's what you have to do, even if you don't have LTE in your area:

•  Ensure the plan "LTE-READY XXGB SP Data Plan" is included in your account.
  •  Ensure you have a "LTE MICRO SIM". That's what you need to use LTE or 4G network. You cannot reuse your old iPhone SIM card.

Hope this post help those with similar problems.

******* Edit labels ********

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NOKIA LUMIA 900: LTE, 4G and Internet Sharing Issues

Solution looks good for new activation. Problem comes when you try to convert your existing plans to 'LTE-READY XXGB SP Data Plan' . Some ppl have to pay more. for me i got the 'LTE-READY XXGB SP Data Plan' but Tethering didnt work due to the 6GB/$30 Code. I finally got that resolved as well.
YYZBear
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: NOKIA LUMIA 900: LTE, 4G and Internet Sharing Issues

As per ROGERS TECHNICAL SUPPORT, any plan with more than 1GB DATA has tethering included (Customer care doesn't know that). So, if you get 2GB or 6GB LTE PLAN, you should be able to enable INTERNET SHARING on Lumia 900. If you are still having problems after the solution proposed in the previous message:

1. TURN OFF your phone (Hold down the power button for a few seconds, then "Slide down to power off")

2. Call ROGERS TECHNICAL SUPPORT and ask them to reset the network. Don't know what it means, but it seems to refresh the settings on the phone (you won't lose any existing data). 

3. TURN ON the phone again (Hold down the power button for a few seconds).

4. Go to Settings > Internet Sharing > ON

5. You should now be able to connect the other devices to your phone's wi-fi.