NHL broadcasting rights

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

NHL broadcasting rights

Just wanted to vent my total frustration with this new NHL broadcasting rights. Thanks to Rogers and the NHL I will no longer be able to wath the Montreal Canadiens here in Alberta without having to dish out more cash for Center ice. For the last few years I was watching all 82 games via RDS at 3$ a month subscription fee. I was ok with this because it was a one spot where ALL the games were shown. With this new system i basically have to create a scchedule to know what channel to watch and pay substantially more for center ice to get maybe 75% of the games.. Shame on you Rogers and NHL..

One angry of Albertan.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: NHL broadcasting rights

Danweiser - here's a good primer on the NHL blackouts and specifically the availability of RDS games:

http://blog. . stein.com/2014/09/24/blackout-guide/

All 82 Habs games are included in Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE - incidentally, if Alberta you can watch all 1,230 NHL games in RGCL + Stanley Cup Playoffs. Or if all you want are the remaining 60 French Habs games that aren't on TVA Sports, just pickup the NHL French Package (it's like Centre Ice, except only includes the 60 Habs and 54 Sens games that RDS is airing from Belleville, Ontario Eastward) - it's $59.99 for the season vs. $209 for the full NHL Centre Ice, so it those games are all you need, it's a better deal (~$0.50 per game).

Not sure who you're with for your TV package in Alberta, but call and ask about the NHL French Package - I'm not 100% whether Shaw and Telus have decided to carry it, but it's certainly been made available to them for this season.

------------------------------------------------------
Scott MacMillan
VP, NHL Integration, Rogers

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Bell are the ones that own the regional rights.  Shouldn't you be mad at them for not ponying up the cash to keep the national rights too?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know why you would need to sign up for Centre Ice since most games are on Cbc/City/Sn.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Danweiser - here's a good primer on the NHL blackouts and specifically the availability of RDS games:

http://blog. . stein.com/2014/09/24/blackout-guide/

All 82 Habs games are included in Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE - incidentally, if Alberta you can watch all 1,230 NHL games in RGCL + Stanley Cup Playoffs. Or if all you want are the remaining 60 French Habs games that aren't on TVA Sports, just pickup the NHL French Package (it's like Centre Ice, except only includes the 60 Habs and 54 Sens games that RDS is airing from Belleville, Ontario Eastward) - it's $59.99 for the season vs. $209 for the full NHL Centre Ice, so it those games are all you need, it's a better deal (~$0.50 per game).

Not sure who you're with for your TV package in Alberta, but call and ask about the NHL French Package - I'm not 100% whether Shaw and Telus have decided to carry it, but it's certainly been made available to them for this season.

Scott MacMillan

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers center ice french package is not available through shaw cable who is my cable provider. Rogers does not service my town of fort mc murray for cable. I have no interest to watch hockey on computers smart phones or tablets. I just want my hockey on tv. Now i had to purchase nhl center is through shaw at a higher price then what Rogers sells for. It is obvious that Rogers did not think this through completely

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The consumer now feels trapped to purchase this package . Last year RDS package through Shaw was 3$/month 36$ a year. Now i had to pay 209$/ year. Talk about taking advantage of consumers. I am not happy and i know i am not alone!!!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Danweiser wrote:
Rogers center ice french package is not available through shaw cable who is my cable provider. Rogers does not service my town of fort mc murray for cable. I have no interest to watch hockey on computers smart phones or tablets. I just want my . hockey on tv. Now i had to purchase nhl center is through shaw at a higher price then what Rogers sells for. It is obvious that Rogers did not think this through completely

If Shaw is not offering it, then that's Shaw's issue, not Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Danweiser wrote:
The consumer now feels trapped to purchase this package . Last year RDS package through Shaw was 3$/month 36$ a year. Now i had to pay 209$/ year. . .... Talk about taking advantage of consumers. I am not happy and i know i am not alone!!!

Once again, if RDS didn't pony up to the NHL for national french language rights, then that's on Bell. 

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Danweiser - let Shaw know you're interested in the NHL French Package...there's no reason they can't make it available. And I hear you re: watching on TV vs. internet. I've got both my PC and and Apple TV connected to my TV, which works great for GCL and for other streaming video services...could also be an option.

Scott MacMillan
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have signed up for NHL Centreice with Rogers.  I purchased the early bird package for the entire season.  However, I had purchased the french package last year with Bell (my satellite provider) and just cancelled that today thinking that why should a person need to pay twice for the same rights to watch NHL games.  Of course I could have purchased it through Bell and watched it on mobile devices if I were a Bell mobility subscriber, but I am a Rogers mobile device user.  I was told that I could not watch NHL games on Bell Satellite even though I have paid for the right to do so.  I would have to purchase the service through them.  I also see that they are not on the list of TV authentication providers either.   I find this to be unbelievable. You have the exclusive rights to the NHL broadccast service (except regional) but I am expected to pay twice for the same thing? Even though Bell has to pay Rogers for that right to broadcast NHL on their service?   This is double dipping.

Please explain why I have pay for this service more than once to different providers who in turn pay Rogers again?