cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

hoboryan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Wasn't able to get any help with the chat. In Rogers' ads for NHL Game Centre Live 2015/16 season, Chromecast is indicated as one of the supported devices. Does this mean that when we are on the IOS or Android NHL app and load up a game we can cast it to our chromecast/tv setup?

The issue I ask is because the NHL app would need to be updated to support chromecast given that it is not currently on Google's list of chromecast supported apps: https://www.google.ca/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html#?view=featured

The current NHL app in IOS is only updated as of July 25, 2015 and it does not have Chromecast native support. Given that the NHL season is starting soon, can Rogers let us know how they intend to get NHL GCL working on Chromecast?

Regards,

Ryan

82 REPLIES 82

Re: NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

stro0021
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Datalink ,

I can cast from my android device ( nexus 5) for youtube and netflix( pretty sure I didn't fork out the extra money for netflix hd).

Just an issue with GCL . I can cast from my laptop in chrome although a lessor quality stream.

maybe NHL GCL app is streaming a HD stream that chromecast 2 can't handle, is there a setting to lower the definition within the app to test?

yobunnyhopguy
I've Been Here Awhile
Yep. Error 3. this started in World Cup of hockey. I signed up to beta test the new modem firmware a ways back. It fixed the IPv6 issue. Now back at square one - no live hockey. It's insane. Like - does this company have any idea how to run a live stream? Absolute joke. No other app has this issue. Rogers GCL is a fail. I bought an antennae so at least now I can catch hockey night in Canada on CBC Saturday nights. Old
School!

Very strange - flipping through games. There are 11 tonight. Streaming from iPhone 6 to chrome cast. I have tried multiple times for each game. 2 work. The philly game and the Colorado game. All others just keep saying error 3 - temp unavailable

bergang
I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed that this seems to only be a problem with live streams. I was trying to watch the Oilers and Carolina as a live stream on Tuesday and kept getting media unavailable like every one else. The next day when the game was on demand it played without any issue.

I can stream CBC News App, Plex, Youtube and several others from both my Nexus tablet and my Note4 to the Chromecast but live streams on GCL are consistently giving me the media unavailable error.

Just to add, I have also been struggling with error 3 since the start of the season.  Good to know I am not the only one since I've spent hours trying to troubleshoot this on my own over the last few weeks.  Garbage.  Tonight, same deal, I can't get jack to work.  Very frustrating!  Rogers tech support blames Chromecast even though GCL is the only application having this issue.  ALL other cast enabled apps work perfectly find.  

When will this be fixed?  GCL is pretty much the only reason I am still a Rogers Internet customer, without it, I'm gone.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

Noticed tonight that the cast icon has completely disappeared when using GCL on PC. So what is up with this rogers? The cast icon was there earlier this week but did not work. Now it is not there at all. We were promised an update on this issue but have not received one. I was able to cast using my phone (Android) with no issues. 

Bryanb58
I Plan to Stick Around
I guess it could mean they realized it's screwed up and are correcting the bugs in it. I just hope they are looking at other devices too... I much prefer casting from my phone but this error 3 is absolutely ridiculous.

An update would be in good order though...

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

I think I spoke too soon. I got to midway through the 3rd period this evening after casting from my phone when the error 3 message popped up. I stopped casting and then re-casted and it was fine after that. I agree though that it is ridiculous and to not hear anything from rogers is equally ridiculous.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMoin wrote:

Thank you all for reporting the issue and I appreciate your patience.

@Rehcuob and @Dugi - Both of you reported that you are seeing highlights of another game instead of the actual game. Thank you for the feedback. This thread will be updated as the solution becomes available. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Patience lasts only so long. The cast icon is not even there now. How long do we have to wait for a an update on this issue?

Rehcuob
I've Been Here Awhile
My patience has run out. I will be cancelling my internet with Rogers because of this.

micredable
I Plan to Stick Around

When attempting to stream a game in chrome I am taken to a page with this error:

"Application Error

An error occurred in the application and your page could not be served. Please try again in a few moments.

If you are the application owner, check your logs for details."

AdamKay
I'm Here A Lot

Just like to say I'm having the same issue as everyone in this thread! I'm past the point of patient as its been well over 3 weeks and this issue has been persistent. Does ANYONE have any kind of update on what is happening here? I'm experiencing the problems when trying to cast from ANY device to my TV.

I can provide information if needed but I would like this solved ASAP please!!!

Bryanb58
I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed last night that the native support (as in the cast button being integrated right into the media itself) is back and I tried it on a couple of different games and it seems to be working.  I did not experience any problems.  The only thing I'll note is that the full screen button on the lower bar to control the media moves to the right and out of the visible window when the cast button appears.  You only have a split second when you load the game to press fullscreen otherwise you have to refresh the window.  

I have not yet tried it from my phone to see if the media error 3 is resolved.  I'll give that a shot tonight when I watch my jets play at 6.  Anyways good on rogers for actually fixing the native cast support, that cast extension is just not the right way to go about casting.  

I was experiencing issues even with the built in Chromecast option earlier tonight as well. Same "Media is unavailable" error. No idea how or when this will be fixed, or if its just dependent on what game you're casting.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMoin wrote:

@Rehcuob and @Dugi - Both of you reported that you are seeing highlights of another game instead of the actual game. Thank you for the feedback. This thread will be updated as the solution becomes available. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Well despite the promise of an update that never happened, I can provide my own update. Instead of seeing highlights of another game, the actual game is now viewable. In addition, the cast icon has returned on a PC and works beautifully. I watched a game the other night, streamed from my laptop through Chromecast and and everything worked great; even got a better picture than watching a game on Sportsnet. Also, no more error messages are occuring either - on any device that we use: iPad, Android phone or PC. Thanks rogers, but it still would have nice to have received an update. 

micredable
I Plan to Stick Around

I can no longer watch live games from the start when streaming to chromecast. This is a new issue that popped up within the last week or so. 

This is occuring both on desktop and in the android app.

Streaming a game from replay fails to load and sticks me with a "ready to cast" screen with the NHL logo.

I've tried with multiple phones, computers, and chromecast devices. 

In addition the chromecast icon doesn't even display correctly on PC (hot tip if you switch to full screen mode and back it magically appears).

I spent an hour and a half in support chat. The first person asked me a few questions then transfered me to a more technical person, the next persion said they were not a "pc expert" and told me chromecast was not supported. When I corrected (it's clearly supported) her she said the issue was with my chromecast device. 

Rogers clearly has no intention of solving these issues, and their techs only shift blame onto the customers. 

micredable
I Plan to Stick Around

Three weeks later, the issues with chromecast have not been addressed and this hasn't been touched by a mod despite being one of the top Gamecenter threads. 

After the way these issues were not only dismissed but blamed on me I will not be resubscribing next year. 

If any chromecast users are considering subscribing do not. Chromecast is not fully supported.

You can watch past games just fine, but ongoing games don't seem to work from android devices. And when streaming from PC you do not get a timeline for live games (can't pause, rewind, skip breaks etc).  The feature is basically useless for live games. 

bergang
I Plan to Stick Around

I was having many of the same issues you were having but mine seems to have cleared up by doing an update on my Chromecast (Gen 2). In order to update you need to drop its configuration and then run through setup again and it will auto update during setup.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6292664?hl=en&ref_topic=7032241

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014?hl=en

Dabrit
I Plan to Stick Around
Android NHL app Chromecast button broken

I am having issues with my Rogers NHL live service/ Android NHL app in getting any archived games(Possibly live games too time will tell) to stream to my TV from my phone( Samsung S5)using my Chromecast Ultra all that happens is that the NHL logo pops up on the screen but the game doesnt pop up. I tried contacting Rogers support and as usual just like last years issues with blacked out games which never should have been blacked out they had no answers for me.

I know for a fact the issue isnt with my chromecast as I can stream using the Netflix and YouTube apps without issue as well as the LG TV app. However the Android NHL app Chromecast button is broken.

I just tried using my roomates phone seeing if I could stream archived games using his iPhone streaming to the chromecast using the IOS version of the NHL app and it worked without issue so this is purely an issue with the Android version of the app.

Anyone else having this issue and know of a fix? The NHL season is fast approaching and I have no desire to watch games on a 5 inch screen. Pay a lot of money for a service that has yet to run without hiccups since day 1.

I should note I am using Android Version 6.0.1 on a Samsung S5

Dabrit
I Plan to Stick Around
Anyone?? This seriously looks bad on Rogers as people are paying $200 for this service ans should be able to watch as advertised via their Chromecast to their TV using the Android NHL apps casting abilities and not say having to buy a bloody iphone just so they can enjoy a service theyve already paid top dollar for.

Dabrit
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone?? I see this issue has been going on since Last season?? This is a mess and purely an issue with the Android NHL app and not the IOS version.

This must be fixed as Rogers is advertising functionality for something that simply isnt working. When i called in they tried to blame it on router settings saying I should try turning off " IGMP snooping" this is absolutely flawed logic because if this was the cause then why is it only the Android NHL app that doesnt cast properly yet netflix youtube etc all work fine.

And oh yeah if you have an iphone the IOS NHL app will stream to my TV via the chromecast perfectly and yeeah NOpe didn't have to adjust any router setttings to get it to work as it should.... problem is I don't own an iphone and I shouldn't be expected to buy a new phone when Rogers should be fixing their broken Android NHL app and pronto.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats