cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

hoboryan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Wasn't able to get any help with the chat. In Rogers' ads for NHL Game Centre Live 2015/16 season, Chromecast is indicated as one of the supported devices. Does this mean that when we are on the IOS or Android NHL app and load up a game we can cast it to our chromecast/tv setup?

The issue I ask is because the NHL app would need to be updated to support chromecast given that it is not currently on Google's list of chromecast supported apps: https://www.google.ca/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html#?view=featured

The current NHL app in IOS is only updated as of July 25, 2015 and it does not have Chromecast native support. Given that the NHL season is starting soon, can Rogers let us know how they intend to get NHL GCL working on Chromecast?

Regards,

Ryan

82 REPLIES 82

Re: NHL Gamecentre Live and Chrome Cast

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@hoboryan

Sorry, I did not see your post when I replied to @RogersDarrell. Thank you for posting though. It is obvious that you know exactly what I am talking about. The Google Cast extension simply does not work as well as casting directly from the site itself - be it YouTube, Netflix, Shomi or any number of other sites that have true Chromecast support. 

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

While I can agree that what you refer to as 'true-casting' has it's benefits vs 'screen mirroring'. When it comes to viewing on a browser, the Chromecast extension via Chrome is the only version of Chromecast support at this time.  We will be looking beyond this option early next year.

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@RogersDarrell wrote:

While I can agree that what you refer to as 'true-casting' has it's benefits vs 'screen mirroring'. When it comes to viewing on a browser, the Chromecast extension via Chrome is the only version of Chromecast support at this time.  We will be looking beyond this option early next year.

Thanks,

RogersDarrell

The thing is @RogersDarrell is that Rogers is advertising Chromecast support. Using your laptop, tablet or smartphone and your home Wi-Fi network, stream live games to your big screen with Google Chromecast and Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™. Sign in with your MyRogers account to get started. This message is misleading because there is no true Chromecast support using a PC or a laptop. The Google Cast extension allows any page to be cast to Chromecast but this does not mean it is supported by Chromecast. To be truly supported by Chromecast, there should be a cast icon on the app page. This currently exists on the Rogers NHL app for Android or iOS but not not on a PC or Laptop. If you check the Chromecast page, you can easily see that there is no Chromecast support for Rogers NHL GameCenter Live. There is support for Shomi. It would be nice to to see the same support for GameCenter Live! It seems to me that by the time you look into this early next year and then actually resolve the issue, the season could be pretty much over!

Masterjeff
I've Been Here Awhile

Im having major issues when casting from the nhl app.. I constantly lags and stutters... I have tried with my Nexus 6p and iphone6, my chromecast is connected with ethernet cable and my wifi is within 7 feet (tplink c8) .. Im not getting any issues casting from my laptop in the chrome browser nor when I watch games directly on my devices... Only problem is when I use the icon within the app.. Can you help me out here?

Laptop is connected via ethernet or wifi?  

Masterjeff
I've Been Here Awhile

The laptop is connected wifi, but chromecast was also connected by wifi before I purchased the ethernet adaptor.. had problems with and without wifi..

I'm unable to cast the game using Chromecast. I'm receiving a media error message on my tv screen "This media is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few moments." Is there an issue with the app? It was working just the other day.

Rehcuob
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there. I've recently figured out how to you NHL Gamecenter Live on my computer. I can watch the Leaf game on my computer, but when i try to use my chromecast to send it to my tv, it randomly casts highlights of a DAL/LA game from last year?

Any insight? I have no idea if it is Gamecenter sending the wrong game, or chromecast detecting the wrong signal?

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Rehcuob

I am having the same issue. I set up the game on the PC, then click on the cast icon and instead of showing the game, I am taken to some stupid highlights. Not working at all. I think rogers has some work to do. Anyone from rogers reporting this?

Rehcuob
I've Been Here Awhile
I was told over Live Chat last night that this is a Chromecast problem, not a Rogers problem, and was re-directed to the forums.

This doesnt make a lot of sense to me though. This seems like Gamecenter is sending the wrong stream to the Chromecast.

Is there anyone at Rogers that can look into this in more detail?

Thank you all for reporting the issue and I appreciate your patience.

@cborrens - Are you trying to cast the game from your phone? Can you provide more details?

@Rehcuob and @Dugi - Both of you reported that you are seeing highlights of another game instead of the actual game. Thank you for the feedback. This thread will be updated as the solution becomes available. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Bryanb58
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so yes something is wrong with chromecast now and the NHL site.  The major change I just noticed is that there is a cast button right down on the navigation bar of the game being watched.  If you click that one, it takes me to an LA/Dallas game that is from last year it looks like.  Clearly there is a problem with how this has been setup by the NHL site and not a chromecast issue.  If I try clicking the cast to button at the top right of the browser it no longer does anything, just has NHL PROD in the little chromecast window and it doesnt do anything.  

If I try to cast from my phone it will come up with an error message that the media is temporarily unavailable and try to again later.  Error 3 if I recall correctly.  So it's a little bit spotty.  The cast from a laptop is just straight broken now though.  I prefer to stream from my laptop and want to see this resolved ASAP. 

Masterjeff
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having the sames issues..

Blaming on Chromcast seems pretty random.. as the ONLY app I have trouble with is NHL..

Getting the highlights from another game as well..

200$ for this service , might as well go back to cable

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMoin wrote:

@Rehcuob and @Dugi - Both of you reported that you are seeing highlights of another game instead of the actual game. Thank you for the feedback. This thread will be updated as the solution becomes available. 

Hopefully, that will be soon. It has taken a long time to get true chromecast support on a PC and when I saw the cast icon the other day, I was quite elated. Then my hopes were dashed when clicking on the cast icon took to me some kind of highlights. It was very disappointing. Please do not let us down. 

hoboryan
I Plan to Stick Around

Can't cast anything from my smartphone tonight. Every game I try to cast gets the Media Error (3) message.

Any idea what's wrong tonight?

Ryan

@hoboryan:

1.  Does the Chromecast work with non-game video that you want to watch? Can you try casting something else, just as a check.  If it doesn't work, that might confirm an IPV6 server issue.  and,

2.  Is this an Android smartphone by chance?

Same thing for me.. Error 3 on Chromecast (but plays on my PS4 or my Android phone).. Very frustating.. My Chromecast work A1 for Netflix, youtube, etc.. but NHL app is garbage.. Fix this please!! ASAP..

hoboryan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @Datalink,

1) Chromecast works with non-game video (ie. recap of Saturday game). Just not working for live games last night.

2) It's an IOS device. Game plays fine on the IOS device but cannot cast to TV.

Other issues/details:

1) I live in Toronto, but am blacked out from RDS Canadiens' games...doesn't make sense since I'm west of the line connecting Belleville/Pembroke (https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/en/support-game-availability/).

2) I've restarted my chromecast multiple times. As well, I've tried playing the game on my IOS device first and then casting....on top of connecting to chromecast first and then casting the game.

Ryan

Rehcuob
I've Been Here Awhile

So frustated with Rogers tonight.

After working on Live Chat to get my free account set up on Saturday (which it clearly says I qualify for on my account), I try and get on tonight and they've now disabled my account without telling me. I spend another 30 minutes on Live Chat troubleshooting just for them to tell me this! 

I guess Chromecast is the least of my issues now. GCL was the only reason I has keeping Rogers Internet. At times I really think they are actively trying to lose customers.

Bryanb58
I Plan to Stick Around
This is ridiculous. Watched one period and then media error 3 starts. I have tried re casting 20 plus times... Media temp unavailable.. But yet it's playing on my phone fine.

Multi billion dollar company, 5.2 billion dollar nhl deal and you can't hire competent engineers to incorporate a simple feature such as chromecast and yet you advertise it on your site...

I would never pay for this . and I feel bad for anyone that does. I am 0 for 4 now for being able to watch a game completely through without error.

The fact that Google cast extension is still your only source of chromecast support on a laptop is so sad and so behind the times. Year after year this experience is nothing short of frustrating. You are ruining one of our national pastimes.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

It seems like we shoud have heard something from rogers by now. I have not tried casting lately as centre ice has been on a free preview but once that is over, it will be disappointing if GCL to chromecast is still not fixed.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats