NETBOX VS SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badboydano1
I've Been Here Awhile

NETBOX VS SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA

I had an SA 8300 for my SDTV  for many years and loved it. When i got an HDTV, Rogers no longer carried the SA 8300HD so I rented a NextBox (NB) from them.

I didn't like it because I had enjoyed SA 8300 user interface for all those years.

Here are only 2 or several reasons i didn't like it;

1)when you pause with an SA, the bar appears at the bottom but then soon disappears, so you can see what is behind the bar - when you pause NB, the bar appears at the bottom forever and you can't see behind it.  

2)you can see channel 950 easily with the SA,  with the NB, it is not possible.

3) there were a few other things but i can't remember what they were now

I had to go on Kijiji to buy an SA 8300HD so I could get rid of NB that I was renting from them.

Now it seems like Rogers wants to stop supporting the SA all together.

Recently I found out that I can no longer get Rogers On Demand (100),

or the Weather Network (23),

or Rogers Home Phone channel (975)

When I called about these problems they sent a technician, instead of telling me they don't support them any longer.

I had to find out from the the tech guy they sent!!!!

What happened to you you Rogers? I remember when you actually cared about your customers. Are you thinking, "we don't want to support 2 different PVRs, just 1, so we can save money, and who cares about the consumer"?

***Edited labels***

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NETBOX VS SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA

All 3 services work on my SA8300.....have you tried rebooting the box?

Never, EVER call Rogers about a problem until you've tried a reboot.

There's a whole other issue about buying used boxes, but we won't get into that until you've rebooted.  Given the issues you've been having, its probably not relevant anyway.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

badboydano1:

Just checked my SA8300HD and I also get channels 23, 100, and 975.

FYI: If you ever get another Nextbox, you can get rid of the pause bar by pressing exit so, yes, it is different from the SA8300HD.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers still supports the SA8300. These are reliable workhorses with no bugs and I would expect a mass exodus from Rogers cable if support ever ended. Even on the 8300, if the pause bar stays on your screen too long for your liking, you can make it disappear with the Exit button. If you've managed to snag a used 8300HD, hang on to it because after 2 years the NextBox 3.0 still keeps developing new bugs as fast as the older ones get fixed.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All services, including Shomi, should work fine on the 8300 (though different menu system for RoD, Shomi, etc).

If you are not getting these, the weather channel, etc , its more LIKELY a signal related issue.

---

The 8300 is not a 'supported' box, as in the case of it being a currently carried.
It is still allowed on the network, one can be added if you have/get one.   But you are not going to find one at a location to pick up.
Any waranty swap, etc... you are not going to get another one.

But it should hopefully be usable still for a while... only a year or so ago, rogers did their FIRST real exodus of boxes.. and then only was their earliest boxes.. the PACE and 1-2 of the first SA SD models.

---

1) as others have mentioned, just hit exit and the bar will disapear.  It would be nice to have it auto..
I always even on the 8300 in the past always just exited it manually right away if i needed to.
2) 950 doesnt exist anymore at least in the essence of the way the 8300 works vs the newer boxes.   They used 950 as the OUTPUT channel for the PVR stuff.    The newer boxes do not use that, they do the PVR output via an OVERLAY on the screen instead of tuning to that channel.

RogersShaun

Hi @badboydano1 

As everyone else has said, the channels you mentioned should be working on your 8300HD.

I see you mentioned a technician visiting at some point. Was the issue resolved or are you still experiencing any problems? A quick reboot of the box will solve many issues. Let us know if we can help!

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

The 8300 is not a 'supported' box, as in the case of it being a currently carried.
It is still allowed on the network, one can be added if you have/get one.   But you are not going to find one at a location to pick up.
Any waranty swap, etc... you are not going to get another one.

But it should hopefully be usable still for a while... only a year or so ago, rogers did their FIRST real exodus of boxes.. and then only was their earliest boxes.. the PACE and 1-2 of the first SA SD models.

Yes, it's not "supported" in that it's no longer being developed or updated. However, if Rogers pushes a general update that adversely affects the 8300, they're obliged to fix things. I'm sure Rogers knows how many are out there.

I bought a refurbished 8300HD from Shopping Channel a bit over a year ago when Rogers was unloading them and it has a 2-year warranty. If it fails in warranty, I don't know what will happen, since they're all gone now.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Likely try to give you a NB2 😞

Which is unfortunate.. but that is one thing with waranties in most cases with most companies.

They are not obligated to give you the exact SAME thing back/repaired.. it has to be the equivelent or newer. (in value, model, etc).

Even though technically there are features, etc that have been removed, etc from the NB series.. the NB2+ would fall into the catagory of them being able to give that to someone as waranty fufillment.

badboydano1
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes i have cycled power (unplugged-repluged) several times. even tried a "hard reset" (hold POWER on while cycling power)

badboydano1
I've Been Here Awhile

yes tried reboots several times - no. still not working