cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB3 - problems with on demand after latest firmware update

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi guys, I live in Vaughan. I have two NB3s and both were recently updated to the new March firmware. Ever since then, they both have been having problems playing back on demand content - Movie Network, HBO, Shomi (ch 300). It now usually takes me a few attempts to play anything back. First attempt- nothing happens. Second attempt might work or might not. Third attempt is fine but then a few minutes into the show or movie and I get a message "the on demand service is having trouble playing back the selected content". Prior to the firmware update, everything was working perfectly fine with all on demand content. Before I call in, anyone else having this problem? Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: NB3 - problems with on demand after latest firmware update

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Trying to think if i have done an on demand since i got the latest firmware..

not that i can remember.... i have done a few SHOMI ones.. (which runs similar to on demand, but its a different channel,etc)

Firmware shouldnt have change signal levels.. other than if its being MORE pickey with the levels on the latest?

Could always check the signal levels for that channel.

Go to the channel

On the remote, hold exit till the light on the pvr flashes.. then down button twice, the 2 (if my memory serves me correct).

One of the pages should show the signal levels (dont recall which and i am not at home to check).

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Power levels range from 3.8 to 4.3
SNR ranges from 38.9 to 40.7

If I recall, these are the same levels I've always had, even before the last f/w update. I'm not saying that the f/w caused the problem, but it started happening around the same time.

yeah those look ok.

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor
Seems to be fixed now 🙂 There were 2 Rogers trucks in the neighbourhood for a couple of hours today.

stcraig
I've Been Here Awhile

Since the recent 'upgrade' of the menu, we've had many problems especially with the playback function of both recorded programs and with On Demand.

What has happened with both is that when I select to play I get a screen with the program name at the top, a black screen and the progress bar at the bottom. But nothing happens then. It doesn't play. Twice now I've gone back the following day on On Demand and looked at saved programs. I've had the same initial result when I try to resume play, nothing happens, but then select play from start and it does. For a movie however I then stopped it to wait for my wife to join me and watch the whole program but then nothing would get it to start.

So let's ask about additional functions no longer allowed. I used to be able to look at the list of recorded programs by the PVR they were recorded on (we have two) and that allowed different family members to control what was recorded and how long it got saved. Can't do that anymore.

We used to see a lot of information about recorded programs such as how long they were, what channel they were recorded on and when they were recorded. Now you can see the date they were recorded but no channel information nor how long they are. I also used this to delete some programs when I felt I wanted to make space. 

Even before this last menu 'upgrade' Rogers was no longer giving much information about programs. So may programs now don't even have blurbs on what the program is about. 

The issue as I see it is Rogers doesn't care. They somehow make these 'upgrades' by fiat in a back room with no consideration about what we, their customers would like. No one has ever asked me if there were features I'd like to see. So I can only assume they do it for their own reasons and benefit and feel obliged to up our fees. So fewer features, more cost. Hmmm. Maybe if I reboot enough these features will all come back?

Anyway, I've said enough. There is a littany of issues so I wonder why we continue to use Rogers. Oh wait, I remember, it's a monopoly. 

Hello @stcraig,

@stcraig wrote:

Since the recent 'upgrade' of the menu, we've had many problems especially with the playback function of both recorded programs and with On Demand.

There have been multiple problems with OnDemand going back to November 21, 2015.  Rogers is aware of the issues and said they are working on it, but no estimated time to repair was given.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation