NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Good question @Gdkitty, @RogersDarrell. What is considered "inactivity" by this additional feature? There are sporting events which are nominally one hour that actually stretch out to over 4 hours due to time outs and commercials. Yes, certainly marathons and many NASCAR races with rain and crash delays.  When we set recordings for these we always extend them for an hour so as not to miss the end. Would the 9865 shut down while watching or recording something for over 4 hours?  

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

@Gdkitty @OLDYELLR

Any press of a button would be considered activity and thus reset the 'inactivity timer'.

RogersDarrell

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

This looks like a fine opportunity for a third party to make an app or a remote to keep the box from going on strike after 4 hours. I would love to see numbers on how much energy this saves in the grand scheme of things. Extreme environmental correctness in my opinion. Smiley Frustrated (Not being negative, just practical.)

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
jdgw8888
I've Been Around

Please remove this energy-savings mode - I don't need to be turning stuff on and off thank you.  I, and others, never asked for this garbage.  If this is not removed this box is being returned.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR

I don't have a Nextbox any more.  I cancelled my TV subscription back in November during the first Navigatr rollout.  However the topic of Nextbox power consumption came up in another thread a while ago so I hooked up a Kill-a-Watt meter to the Nextbox and measured the power consumption.  The difference between powered on and sleep is about 2 watts.

Here is my previous post.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jdgw8888 wrote:

Please remove this energy-savings mode - I don't need to be turning stuff on and off thank you.  I, and others, never asked for this garbage.  If this is not removed this box is being returned.

I took a look at the

Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA)

Looks like its voulentary.. for now.  Its something from the CRTC though.. so could change.

looks like all rogers boxes will have it, exchanging it will do nothing.

Also that its something from the CRTC.. likely other carriers will be following suit.

(so you might not avoid it by changing companies as well).

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, Bell does this on their Fibe and Satellite boxes, both go into standby after 4 hours of inactivity.  Looks like everyones following suit now.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Good Day ,

Thank you for the explanation....

This does NOT save energy in MY HOME. Each time one shuts off / powers on a TV / BOX, etc. one uses MORE ENERGY. (Look at the trend of the newer furnaces: they stay on and have different levels of energy consumption in order to save energy / money)

Turning things on and off also causes wear and tear as well as the above.

Last I heard, I was the one who paid MY hydro bills & it was up to ME whether & in what way I saved MY [PAID FOR] ENERGY.

It SHOULD NOT BE UP TO ROGERS unless Rogers wants to pay my hydro bill (Along with everything else it should be paying for)

Smiley Wink

SO, kindly let me, THE HOMEOWNER (who pays the energy (and ROGERS <for now>) and other bills) decide on how I want to manage MY HOUSE’S power usage since I own (or at least rent) the power. I would also expect to be the one who manages all of my power “hungry” devices and the BOX and the TV (which are NOT major power consumers)

Finally, If there really was so much concern over MY power consumption, the sophistication of the BOX should allow it to monitor the time-of-use aspect of Toronto Hydro. It really should stay off during the hours when the power co$t is MAXIMUM and should stay ON when the power co$ts the least.

BOTTOM-LINE --- IT SHOULD BE UP TO THE USER (USER-DEFINED)

Don't you agree?

Thank you!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, the satellite box does this, and the times are selectable, 4,5,6,7,8 hours.  I think that used to be 1,2,3,4 hours or something like that.  Personally I've found 4 hours to be plenty, and its never been an issue. 

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hello ,

Can the user disable it? Or keep it on for certain time intervals longer than 4 hours? I.E. Can it be USER-DEFINED?