NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Hi @ADM12,

I'm sorry that you felt my response was a guess. I have not tested a factory reset on a Nextbox with a PVR extender attached to it myself. I had confirmed this with our second level support department who stated it will ask to be reformatted once a factory reset is performed on the PVR. I hope this clarifies. 

Thanks for your input and happy 2016 :). 

RogersHassam 

ADM12
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

I guess my question is the same as the first.  Since the forced navigator software download on my Nextbox, I am experiencing my box telling me to press "ok" after a period of what it determines is inactivity to stop it from shutting down my box.  Explain, if you you are able, why I cannot watch a movie uninterrupted?  It goes without saying, just because I have not pushed any buttons does not mean I am not watching...so why assume anything is what I am asking Rogers.  It's my viewing habits and not theirs that I am paying for, so why suddenly are they doing this?  More importantly, as a customer that owns his Nextbox, I should have the ability to turn on and off such a feature.  So how do I do this then????

ADM12
I Plan to Stick Around

Can you please clarify, for my benefit and in consideration that no real guide is in place for the new navigator menus, what does "Power and Others" mean?  There are three such selections but this one is unclear.  Thank you.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi ADM12,

You have just made my year - that someone else has the same problem!

(I am sorry for you but am OVERJOYED that it is LIKELY not my hardware.)

The BOX shuts off after 3 hours which I guess is Roger's assessment of when I am wasting energy:

I waste far more energy trying to watch the TV again b/c inevitably since only the BOX (NB 3.0) needs to be powered on again.

No matter what, my TV turns off. Even hitting the "box" button (last to the right) several times before hitting the power button - or "hiding" the remote IMMEDIATELY has no effect.

So depending on how tired I am., I go through several cycles of [box on] and [TV off] and vice versa.

Have you timed your interval?

Hi RogersHassam,

I have decided against a factory reset ...

If there is a chance of losing my recordings, I might as well replace the box.

I have to agree with "ADM12" b/c to me losing all of my recordings would be a intolerable. Any fix should NOT involve that possibility but IF there is a chance of losing all the recording (which IMO seems extremely likely) I’d imagine you should WRITE this in BIG letters in the same sentence.

Perhaps the software should also have this info written next to "factory reset" (But perhaps one should be able to watch TV for longer than 3 hours).

I am convinced it has to do with software: Specifically with a buggy interface that has not passed alpha testing (In my opinion). I see the same complaints from JULY of 2015!

What is REALLY ASTONOSHING is that Rogers has continued to install this uncorrected garbage without even paying us!

But thank you for replying

I called phone support last night and the VODs are still being problematic:

When one reboots the system there is a SIGNIFICANT time interval when all the VOD channels icons are greyed out, and the word "undefined" is written on the same page...

Nothing is accessible but will be in perhaps 30 minutes (In my case > 1 hour).

{This is especially a problem when the box reboots due to the NIGHTLY downloads (unwelcome again at that time).)

I don't know who makes these decisions - maybe an imposter from Bell?

I am now trying the diagnostic screens. It is a shame to have to waste time, energy etc.  to get entertainment which I pay through the nose for. Although very nice, the phone support technicians are unable to help too.

Thank you

Happy New Year

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @ADM12,

"Power and Others" means you can use the power button and other buttons such as up arrow, guide, # keys etc. to power the box on. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @YtanyaY

I wonder if it might be your PVR extender that is going into sleep mode?

One way to test this is, (during a time when your box is not scheduled to record anything), try disconnecting your PVR extender from the PVR.  Let the PVR sit for several hours and see if it does or does not go into sleep mode.

During this period you may or may not be able to watch recordings:  because some recordings may be located on the extender.  But some recordings may be located on the hard drive of the PVR itself - and you may be able to watch those.

There MAY be a slight risk in trying this (a risk to all your recordings), and if the PVR asks you if you want to reformat the PVR extender when you plug it back in, you'll want to say No (otherwise your PVR extender will be reformatted and all programs located on it will be erased), but if the box was mine I would definitely try this to see if the extender is the problem.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi

Thank you for replying.

"I wonder if it might be your PVR extender that is going into sleep mode?"

(If it turns out that the PVR-E is the *culprit*, I would blame it on INCOMPATIBILITY with this new interface...)

The energy-saving feature occurs even while watching a recorded video! The dialogue box pops up and if you're quick enough to hit "okay" it will stay on - If not, it shuts off.

And the grey on grey message display makes it almost into a game (sort of like those Highlight magazines [for kids] where one has to find the hidden object in a scribble picture....)

I was under the assumption (I guess wrongly) that powering something on and turning it off uses more energy than if it stays on? Or is that physics(?) / electrical(?) whatever law no longer valid?

BTW today I was ASSURED that the energy-saver is NON-STOPABLE (By Roger's phone support)

Just noticed something concerning the Diagnostic screens (press [exit] until power light on box flashes 2 times -> [down] 2 times and then [2])

Under DVR info, they are named "ERROR-1" and "ERROR-0" they HAD BEEN named correctly BEFORE the upgrade. There is no information either (re: sizes etc.) amount used or anything.

But they are referred to as "ERROR-x"

There is not much hope for success when the PVR harddrives have been renamed to "ERROR-1" and "ERROR-0"

(FWIW, "ERROR-1" was the PVR-Extender, and "ERROR-0" was the default PVR.)

I have found a seemingly consistent FLAW occurring throughout this new HEADACHE: (interface)

The user has to be active othewise the box shuts off, any reminders don't go through, etc. which IMO shows even more carelessness in releasing this S/W.

The reminder comes and goes "visually" (grey on grey) only. If one sees it and hits okay in time, it changes to the channel, however if one misses it, the reminder disappears.

For some inexplicable reason, I have been able to schedule the PVR - i.e. it follows the scheduled program (with a few exceptions - like recording a COMPLETELY different movie or a 40 minute prelude to a 1 hour and 20 minute fillm.)

Have anyone else's hard drives been renamed error-0 and error-1?

Wonder why the Navigatr version etc. has not been renamed to: "ERROR-MAX" or "The FINAL Error [straw]" Or the "Error that broke the GARBURATR'S selling streak [camel's back]" - something along those lines...

Sorry for comments but I am just progressing through the anger phase ("DENIAL -> ANGER -> DEPRESSION --------> ACCEPTANCE (by changing to Bell or nothing)

Thanks

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I am one of those with the energy saving feature "allowing" the BOX to remain on for 3 hours. There is NO WAY to change this *new* (apparently essential) feature; it cannot be DISABLED; edited in any way or removed. I doubt it does anything aside from destroying my life in terms of formerly being able to watch TV for an evening (instead of a set time limit); it only shuts off the box; not the TV and I'd heard (learned I thought) that shutting things off and then on again, uses MORE energy than keeping them on?

Tonight I looked through the diagnostic pages <again> and noted that the last item on the list is "ENERGY MANAGER".

I don't think I've seen it before? In any case, it's a blank page but at the top it does state "ENERGY MANAGER".

ROGERS: Are they planning on adding something here that could be useful to the end-user?

***Edited labels***

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello @YtanyaY

As part of an environmental agreement 'Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA)', we have implemented a power-saving feature which turns off the NextBox after 4 hours of inactivity to help reduce the consumption of electricity in your home.

RogersDarrell

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Now you say inactivity, etc..

So if you left on channel X, and it was say a marathon, and you left it there for the 4+ hours.. it would then shut off?

If you do something though.. like change channels inbetween shows, etc.. it SHOULDNT after 4 hours? Every channel change, etc.. should reset the timer?