cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

NB 3.0

Interface "upgrade" (UNwelcome & CERTAINLY NOT requested (or even warned about)) on 12/19/15.

Besides having all the other issues, my NB 3.0 shuts off (I finally caught a message stating power-saving will start unless one hits okay) My TV remains on.

OTHER ISSUES include being unable to complete playlistS; "Undefined" VODs (all (even ROD)) after rebooting which may last for hours), etc. (Apparently these are "known issues" being worked on for months); etc.

I (nor phone support) can find anything relating to power-saving / energy-sparing anywhere.

A comment: I am VERY unhappy and disappointed with Rogers. I spend a disproportionate amount of time trying to enjoy VERY COSTLY entertainment.

Instead of focusing on what should be a relatively simple feature, they upgrade an already error-ridden (IMO) technical disaster with an even more NON - INTUITITIVE new interface (minus instructions) causing ADDITIONAL issues and no solution of the problems at hand.

MY QUESTION IS: how can I disable power saving / energy saving?

Thank you.

***Edited Labels*** 

111 REPLIES 111

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@Gdkitty @OLDYELLR

Any press of a button would be considered activity and thus reset the 'inactivity timer'.

RogersDarrell

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

This looks like a fine opportunity for a third party to make an app or a remote to keep the box from going on strike after 4 hours. I would love to see numbers on how much energy this saves in the grand scheme of things. Extreme environmental correctness in my opinion. Smiley Frustrated (Not being negative, just practical.)

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

jdgw8888
I've Been Around

Please remove this energy-savings mode - I don't need to be turning stuff on and off thank you.  I, and others, never asked for this garbage.  If this is not removed this box is being returned.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR

I don't have a Nextbox any more.  I cancelled my TV subscription back in November during the first Navigatr rollout.  However the topic of Nextbox power consumption came up in another thread a while ago so I hooked up a Kill-a-Watt meter to the Nextbox and measured the power consumption.  The difference between powered on and sleep is about 2 watts.

Here is my previous post.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

@jdgw8888 wrote:

Please remove this energy-savings mode - I don't need to be turning stuff on and off thank you.  I, and others, never asked for this garbage.  If this is not removed this box is being returned.

I took a look at the

Canadian Pay-TV Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Voluntary Agreement (STB CEEVA)

Looks like its voulentary.. for now.  Its something from the CRTC though.. so could change.

looks like all rogers boxes will have it, exchanging it will do nothing.

Also that its something from the CRTC.. likely other carriers will be following suit.

(so you might not avoid it by changing companies as well).

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, Bell does this on their Fibe and Satellite boxes, both go into standby after 4 hours of inactivity.  Looks like everyones following suit now.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Good Day ,

Thank you for the explanation....

This does NOT save energy in MY HOME. Each time one shuts off / powers on a TV / BOX, etc. one uses MORE ENERGY. (Look at the trend of the newer furnaces: they stay on and have different levels of energy consumption in order to save energy / money)

Turning things on and off also causes wear and tear as well as the above.

Last I heard, I was the one who paid MY hydro bills & it was up to ME whether & in what way I saved MY [PAID FOR] ENERGY.

It SHOULD NOT BE UP TO ROGERS unless Rogers wants to pay my hydro bill (Along with everything else it should be paying for)

Smiley Wink

SO, kindly let me, THE HOMEOWNER (who pays the energy (and ROGERS <for now>) and other bills) decide on how I want to manage MY HOUSE’S power usage since I own (or at least rent) the power. I would also expect to be the one who manages all of my power “hungry” devices and the BOX and the TV (which are NOT major power consumers)

Finally, If there really was so much concern over MY power consumption, the sophistication of the BOX should allow it to monitor the time-of-use aspect of Toronto Hydro. It really should stay off during the hours when the power co$t is MAXIMUM and should stay ON when the power co$ts the least.

BOTTOM-LINE --- IT SHOULD BE UP TO THE USER (USER-DEFINED)

Don't you agree?

Thank you!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, the satellite box does this, and the times are selectable, 4,5,6,7,8 hours.  I think that used to be 1,2,3,4 hours or something like that.  Personally I've found 4 hours to be plenty, and its never been an issue. 

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hello ,

Can the user disable it? Or keep it on for certain time intervals longer than 4 hours? I.E. Can it be USER-DEFINED?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hello ,

How can they justify this? The TV / BOX are not major power-eaters are they?

I have many other items that use more power.

This is becoming an invasion of privacy (IMO)

Let's get <Toronto> Hydro involved, they'll have this changed in no time (to the highest energy ($ - making) consumption possible!)

Just thought of something: I'm still under the impression that turning things on and off used more energy than keeping things on. Maybe TH is already involed!

Smiley Wink

as i dont have the navigatr yet (though it sounds like maybe this week)

i cant confirm...

But IS it a full low power stuff off??

IE:  The box currently has an ON/OFF state.. but even when OFF, its not fully OFF.. more of just the outputs are turned off.  While it draws a little less.. not a huge difference.

Is this power savings different?  Does it do more of a full spin down on the drive, etc?

It would still have to be on, somewhat, to be able to start up recordings, etc while off.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi ,

Whatever it is, it has destroyed my life.

(I wake up to the silence)

And still get a shock when it shuts off anytime.

I have to power the BOX (the TV stays on) back on (I never go see it up close) The time is displayed.

If I remember, I'll check the light status next time - since maybe the LED is battery powered - to save MORE of my energy!

I was thinking of getting something that moves vertically: Something one can set to push Okay every 3 hours so the BOX thinks there's activity.

All I can think of is a conveyer belt.

Any ideas anyone?

-DLM0605-
I've Been Here Awhile

I have also discovered this feature in the last couple of weeks.  I, up until today, had not seen the energy savings message, but called tech support last night, who are sending me a new box.  Sooooo... good job on informing your employees Rogers!

I am also of the mind that if I wanted the TV turned off, I would have turned it off myself.  Considering I just received a notice that all Rogers services were increasing by $2 to $4 a month each, I can promise you this change is not with the consumer's wallet in mind (obviously).  

Keep nailing your own coffin against streaming alternatives and elimination of home phones guys.  *thumbsup*

In the meantime, if it's what I have to do to avoid this garbage, the "replacement box" I'll be requesting will be one of a generation that isn't touched by this change.

This is the equivalent of car manufacturers telling my vehicle when to shut the heat off, because "be quiet you're warm enough".  Equally ludicrous and unacceptable.

Smarten up Rogers, and pull this update back, promptly.  Maybe then we'll believe for a second that you actually care about customer satisfaction.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm getting a bit confused. Does this feature shut the box off while you are watching TV or a recorded program?   For instance, If I'm watching or recording a "Rogers Owned" Blue Jays game Is the box going to shut things down whether the game is over or not?
If I'm watching a 4hr. movie what happens?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Since Ontario presently sells surplus energy to other jurisdictions at a loss, wouldn't it be more economical for us to use more and save taxpayers money? All these energy saving gimmicks are driving Ontario deeper into debt.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Well, this is certianly annoying.

I use an external computer to do all my watching/recording.  I have plenty of things set to record either overnight or when I am at work, and for it to work I need to leave the box on at all time.  I have been waking up or coming home to recordings that are blank due to the box being turned off.

Please give us the option of turning this "feature" off.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RWhyatt What is needed is a simple device to send an OK signal to the box once every hour to keep it alive. If Rogers won't disable this "feature" or make it optional, this will be a lucrative opportunity for someone.

What is simply needed is a code review by an individual or team that knows what its doing.  Its pretty silly to turn on the recorder at the appointed time without turning on the receiver section.  You would think that they would go hand in hand, obviously not.  So, either whomever coded this particular function didn't read the hardware design spec, or, read it and decided that whatever it indicated could be totally ignored, or, read it and misinterpreted what it indicated.  So, you end up with a recording with no input.  Seems to be a rookie mistake that should have been picked up in an engineering test, before it ever went for end product testing.  If you're in mucking around in the code, you have to test that section thoroughly, otherwise you end up with items like this.  Pretty simple, personal opinion.

Well, remember that I am recording on a separate computer.  Think media PC.  My NextBox is hooked up to another box, which is hooked up to the computer.  I can control the channels and set up recordings on my computer.  There is an IR probe that is put in front of the Box's IR sensor in order to change the channel.  But only if the unit is on.  If the Box is off, my computer will record a black screen.  This has happened all this week since I recived this "update", when I try to record something while I am at work in the evenings.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

What one needs is a  vertically moving device to put above "okay" on the remote that pushes down on "okay" every 2.5 hours. In this way (I think) at least this EXTREMELY HORRIBLE (privacy invading) feature could be quashed until something more sophisticated comes along.

Topic Stats