NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

Thanks a lot, Margaret

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

Thank you for the update @RogersMargaret

Its good to know, that Rogers is listening and will hopefully be taking efforts to implement the change for being able to modify/disable this feature.
(some may argue about the whole navigatr and rogers not listening.. but thats a whole other argument :P)

Its a shame that much of this had to happen in the first place.

I really think that rogers needs to review its QA/Testing procedures on these things... they are obviously not going over all scenarios, etc.

Gets some REAL WORLD users involved.. beta testing, etc.. who would give it through their regular ropes, and find these errors hopefuly before FULL production.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Many of these issues should have been found in a specification review before anyone ever set about changing the code.  The what if's should be asked in that review to determine if the spec writer forgot about any details that should have been included, like, keeping a watchdog timer going to wake the box up to record shows when required.  Then, the code should have undergone an engineering test to determine if it meets the spec.   Only after all of the engineering tests were completed, the i's were dotted and t's crossed and documentation including test documents completed,  only then is when the version should have been handed over for any beta testing.  And if it fails, it gets kicked back to the developers.  Beta testing is interesting as users have a habit of using hardware and software in ways that the developer never thought of, leading to test failures when either one locks up due to unexpected data combinations.  But, that's what beta testing will find......

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

JUST A COMMENT ON HOW MY LIFE HAS BEEN ALTERED (AND THE ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF TIME I SPEND COMPLAINING for nothing)

I really doubt it was tested. Certainly they should have left the functionality of prior versions ALONE and not started from nothing (That's what I think was done)

I think we (the posters here in the community) are supposed to bring up issues and if interesting to Rogers, they may be looked at, OTHERWISE the yellow announcement that another rollout rollover is on its way appears – and reading between the lines we should be OVERJOYED at this ....

I AM SO SORRY BUT I AM SO ANGRY AT THIS DELAPITATED "program" - (MISNOMER but ANY OTHER APPROPRIATE WORD would land me in the censorship cemetery).

Now the VODS announce that they are experiencing difficulty with the server - None of the choices (resume | restart | (?)) function;

But If I wait, the movie starts from the beginning again!!! -

I have seen the first hour of ZODIAC probably 10 times. 

FINALLY, I received a CARD from Rogers apologizing for the inconvenience incurred and to compensate for my patience (they have not read my posts) they have given me THREE MOVIES (valued up to $6.99 EACH!) Is that tax or no tax?

It is very kind but I get <or should get> if "the server is not encountering problems", most of the movies "free" (included in my packages); It makes me realize my value as a customer - $20.97 for issues starting in October 3rd, 2015) and I thought maximizing on December 18th, 2015 but getting even worse.

I read the problem lists people write, here - these are things that one takes for granted and were on prior versions! These should be "givens" and no one should have to write them down - That's one reason I REALLY question "extensive testing".

I don't have time or energy to write ANYTHING anymore. IMO it's not my job - concerning Rogers cable I thought MY role was to sit back and ENJOY my PAID FOR entertainment NOT WATCH THIS MONSTER stop all activity so it can DOWNLAOD MASSIVE AMOUNTS because these were not considered when this thing was conceived (I cannot say planned - sorry).

I hate to ask this BUT: The BOX is shut off 3 times during the night

Either the energy-saver is back OR the updates are causing this?

BTW a suggestion: when downloads have such deleterious effects (I.E. REQUIRE REBOOTS; FREEZE etc.) perhaps they should download guide updates ONCE A WEEK (Maybe arrange with the movie networks to update on the same day???)

(I never know what is new anyway)

Thank you

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@YtanyaY wrote:

I really doubt it was tested.

Tested, sure it was, on the guinea pigs! You found and reported this bug over a month ago. Looks like it fell through the cracks during the thorough testing that was done before the release of Navigatr 2 and then took a month to correct after it was reported by customers. Perfection takes time and can't be rushed. Smiley Wink

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

PVR unresponsive this morning after working okay the previous night.  Power cable disconnect/wait/reconnect to the pvr several times resulted in it booting and remaining at "01" forever. Called Rogers and after some troubleshooting exchanged the Nextbox at the Rogers store for what the retail rep indicated was a version 3.1 (9865HD). Rogers authorized remotely upon connection and problem appeared resolved (got past the "01" state and could access ROD and Shomi menus). This evening can't access ROD or Shomi as the "undefined" and "loading" messages appear for a very long time. Disconnected and reconnected power to NB but still ROD and Shomi aren't available. With the exchange of the NB I lost all of my recordings and now am at a loss. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @50sreader  With a new box, and I'm pretty sure after a reboot - it will take time for VOD and Shomi to start working.  Same with the search feature.

With a new box I'm guessing that this may be 12 hours.  After a reboot - I'm not sure - maybe several hours? 

If you check the box after you wake up it might be working - well - I mean as well as Navigatr is capable of actually 'working.'

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You're right as this morning ROD and Shomi were functioning and without a reboot. Will wait to see how it functions over the next few days due to the number of problems in the recent past. Thanks for the info Bill.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

And I just read in another thread that after a reboot it is best to NOT try to use ROD right away, but to go to live TV and look at several channels, and THEN try VOD.   That MIGHT get VOD working more quickly.  Nice quirky software   🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Same problem again for the past 2 mornings with the "no signal" error on the tv.  Rebooting the newly replaced NB3 via the Nextbox power cable resolves the problem. Only seems to happen when the tv is powered up first thing in the morning.