NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

The power savings thing, is NEW from the newest Navigatr update..

I DO NOT have it yet myself.. so can not confirm.

From what i have mostly seen from people.. that i 100% know that the regular HD boxes do..

But as for the PVR?? I am not sure.
A PVR,  never 100% goes completely off.. its always partially on.  So it can run scheduled recordings, etc.
When you turn a PVR OFF, its really mostly just turning off the OUTPUTS the most of the rest of it is staying on.

They PVR may have the same shut off window 😞  It just shuts off the outputs.

There a specific reason/application that you need it to not turn off?
EG:  Its outputing to record to an HTPC type setup, etc?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

Hi Pattistolar;

I own a Rogers PVR and IT DOES have the infamous Rogers Coma (they call it sleep) function.  When you call tech support, unfortunately that is usually their solution...first they tell you to factory reset, then they tell you to upgrade or get a new box.  I can also tell you that the sleep function appears to work off of live TV so when you use the PVR and use fast forward, pause, volume, etc., the box will still shut down after 3 hours because you had the nerve to not stop watching your recorded show and go back to live tv and hit the channel button.  Also while watching recorded content there is no flash screen warning that the box will go into a coma.  If you read earlier in this forum or the following link to another Rogers forum that discusses this problem (see below), you will find many other PVR owners that are also enjoying the new coma feature.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

In summary...my purchase of a Rogers PVR was a big waste of money...good for Rogers because now it's a $500 decision for me to switch to someone else...dollar bills circling the drain...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

Things like THESE is one reason, i would never BUY a box anymore 😛

Good to know about the PVR..

Wondering though.. if you go from a recording.. where no controls reset the timer.. when your back on 'live' tv.. will going LIST and into a new one, reset it?
(obviously woudlnt help on a LONG recording like a sports game, etc.. but when watching shorter like 30min/1h ones?)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Gdkitty;

What I do and seems to be working, is once I have watched 1 hour of a recording, I stop it, go back to live tv, change the channel, then go back to watching my recording.  Enormous pain but it seems to reset the 3 hour coma clock.  Of course if Rogers decides to do a download DURING PRIMETIME then I have to put my enjoyment on hold (again) until it's finished.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I want to thank Rogers for helping me with my New Years resolutions.  I resolved to get more exercise this year - and Rogers has incorporated this 'get out and get more exercise' suggestion into their PVR's with the newest Navigatr update.

Now - Rogers tells you that after you have been watching recordings for 3 hours - that you should go outside and go for a walk.  They cleverly remind you to do this by making the PVR go to sleep after 3 hours.

It's simple.  You watch 3 hours of recordings on your PVR and then it stops working.   To get the box to work again you have to get your big bottom off the couch and go unplug the PVR to reboot it to make it work again. 

And - since you are up - why not go out for a walk - because you can't watch your TV while the PVR is rebooting.

It's not a bug - it's a FEATURE.

Thank you Rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, interesting that Molly222 has said that she has a PVR and it does in fact "go to sleep" after a period of time, just like the standard Nextboxes do. That's not what the Rogers Tech told me. Why do they keep giving us false info??!! Sounds like they just tell us anything just to get us off their backs for a bit. If you have a program set to record, will it still record with the PVR box off? 

I don't really want to spend any more money buying or upgrading to a PVR (which won't even stay on!) when all I want is for the standard Nextbox (which I HAVE TO HAVE to watch tv!) to stay ON like it used to, before the Navigator upgrade, so I can record tv shows on my own dvd recorder. Guess I just have to drive home from work at lunch time to turn the box back on so my afternoon shows get recorded!! Not a happy camper. Sounds like there are a lot of us on here, huh! 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @pattistolar

Molly has done some GREAT detective work and figured out that when she is using her PVR, she needs to change the channel while watching LIVE TV to keep the box 'working.'   She does it every hour, but if the box goes to sleep after 3 hours - then doing this after 2 3/4 hours would probably work.

If you have just a terminal - you can probably prevent it from going into 'coma mode' by changing the channel every once in a while - but if you are away from home for more than 3 hours - the box may go to sleep after 3 hours.

You may need to time your visits home so that you 'awaken' your box in the 3 hours before you record something important.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Doesn't make sense that we have to do ANYTHING at all if we want our "tv watching boxes" to stay on, like they used to. No wonder so many people are leaving Rogers. They are really pissing people off. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Pattistolar

I would highly discourage you from buying a PVR...unless you want to buy mine...or you could check the boulevards in your neighbourhood on garbage day...you'll probably find some there for free.  Lots of problems on the PVR side since the Navigatr launch.  Yes you can record with the PVR box off...BUT after 3 hours it too goes into a coma and requires a reboot...thus you can only record for 3 hours even when it's off.

Hopefully Rogers will VERY SOON give us the option to turn this new feature off...which I expect will only happen if more people complain about it...I can't even fathom who thought it would be a good idea to have a PVR automatically shut down after 3 hours (and thus stop recording) if no-one is there to turn on the box and change a channel.  I believe that was the original idea of the VCR...to record when you are not home.  I guess times are changing and we all have to stay home now and babysit our Rogers Cable boxes.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My gosh! So if you are away from home all day, and you have a program set to record in the morning, and another one in the afternoon, you will not get both shows? Because your PVR shut off? What's the point in having a PVR then? I think you are right about finding Rogers boxes at the curb in droves soon, if they don't change this.