NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

@Denise77 wrote:

How do you turn off energy saver mode? My box turns off every three hours if you don't change the channel

YOU CAN'T!!!

Can't disable nor adjust it!

It has good intentions - saving the fraction of the 8% of my ENTIRE HOUSE's ENERGY USAGE  (that goes to the BOX!)

(Not the TV - which stays on until I try to turn the box back on) ...

Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

@Denise77 wrote:

How do you turn off energy saver mode? My box turns off every three hours if you don't change the channel

Unfortunately there is no way at this time.

According to the rogers reps, ANY function should reset the 'timer' for the timeout.. a vol +.. pressing guide, etc.

As well, there should be a prompt on the screen when the timeout happens.. (if you happen to be there)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "

And according to Rogers, Navigatr should work flawlessly. Obviously this feature has not been programmed correctly for all possible scenarios. Pause deployment, back to the drawing board.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I can't wait to see the news reports of patrons rioting when an entire bar's fleet of TVs shut off in unison during a playoff game. Sorry boys; three hours are up! 😛

And what of the businesses, airports, etc. That run their TVs on CP24 all day?

Either there is a way to disable it that techs have been instructed not to divulge (in typical shady Rogers fashion), or the feature will be reversed, reaaaallll quick.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-DLM0605- wrote:

And what of the businesses, airports, etc. That run their TVs on CP24 all day?

People that have a business such as a Restaurant, bar, cafe, coffee shop, convenience store, probaly have to subscribe to a Business/commercial Cable TV account and NOT a residential account.  They might have different set top boxes, different software on their set top boxes, and may very well have a different Energy savings setting or have none at all. I don't know this beacuse I'm not a business customer but I am speculating that and its very probable that there is differences between Residential vs Business accounts and this might be one of them.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have had the same type of problem since the new navigatr download. I have had to reboot my NB3.0 and NB 2.0 daily since Jan 13,2016. No problems before the update and everything works fine after the reboot but I shouldn't have to be doing this every day. I have a Tech guy coming Saturday Jan23,2016. I don't know if it's a signal problem at the house but this doesn't seem to make sense as they worked fine prior to Navigatr update. Sometimes the picture freezes and other times they just shut down. Are downloads required everytime  new pictures are added on the recordings. Could this be part of the problem. I don't know why Rogers doesn't see the benefit of "if it aint broke don't fix it"

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @james1919

Please read this entire thread and then come back and describe more completely what is happening with your boxes.  If the box locks up and won't respond to the remote and even pushing power on the box itself doesn't do anything then THERE IS NO POINT IN HAVING A TECH COME OUT TO YOUR HOME.  That would be a waste of time if you are having the same problem as everybody else is describing here.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I did go to the forum and found the answer I was looking for. You're correct it's a software problem(ie power save) The tech won't help but at least I know now not to let him suggest any hardware solutions

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

This looks like a fine opportunity for a third party to make an app or a remote to keep the box from going on strike after 4 hours. I would love to see numbers on how much energy this saves in the grand scheme of things. Extreme environmental correctness in my opinion. Smiley Frustrated (Not being negative, just practical.)

Hi,

I found some links FYI

“Energy-saving tips for TVs, computers and laptops from uSwitch”

http://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving/guides/tvs-computers-laptops/

In an average home, the TV, DVD player, set-top box etc account for around 8% of the energy bill, while computers, laptops and printers make up another 5%.

AND

Turning on and off apparently uses LESS power than keeping things on (at least with fluorescent light bulbs) And there is even less "surge" (I think) with these things.

“MythBusters (2006 season) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282006_season%29#Lights_On.2FOff

AND

"Cable TV boxes become 2nd biggest energy users in many homes - LA Times"

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-power-hog-20140617-story.html 

Different views...

I STILL want to be the boss of my ENTERTAINMENT but that's just my personal choice (or was) and I am SURE there are countless other people who would be happy to go GREEN using this automatic power saving approach.

Thank you

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Hi, for those of you who have a Rogers PVR unit, can you please tell me if it goes into "power saving mode" and shuts off after about 3-4 hours of non-use. My standard Rogers Nextbox does this now, since the Navigator upgrade in Dec., and it's really annoying. Rogers is telling me to upgrade to a PVR and it won't do this. But I have been told things by tech support staff before and it turns out to be false info. I just want to make sure getting a PVR solves this problem before I spend money on one.