NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

For the last 5 days or so both my Netbox 3.0 PVR 9865HD and my Netbox Explorer 4642HD are in a powered down state each morning. I am not turning them off they just power off at some point each night. This is extremely frustrating especially for the PVR as it won't record if in an off state.

I spoke with tech support yesterday and they had me reboot my PVR and supposedly pushed updated software to it but it was off when I got up this morning.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: NB 3.0 SHUTS OFF apparently due to some "ENERGY SAVING" feature (SINCE NAVIGATR "UPGRADE")

I think that's not true. I've had the Netbox 3.0 for over 3 years now and it has NEVER powered down due to inactivity before. This only started recently especially after receiving notification that Rogers was changing the Navigator gui. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The power down is a new thing..

BUT.. that shouldnt effect the recording of any items.. A pvr, regardless of what state of 'power down' its doing, it should only be partially... enough that it will still be able to start recording whenever.

Prior to this change, you could 'turn it off' and it will record just fine at whatever time of the recording.

While i dont have the new guide w/ the power down stuff.. i am ASSUMING it should do the same

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What about remotely scheduling recordings via the app?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Mindcore wrote:

What about remotely scheduling recordings via the app?

Good question. Remotely scheduling would be no different than scheduling on the PVR (provided it's not unresponsive or locked up or frozen or whatever it's called. That's something you should try to see what happens. Will a PVR "shut down" to save energy still wake up and record scheduled recordings without a human key press? One would think that the Rogers programmers would have considered that, or would they? With Navigatr still mired in beta testing by customers, that's problematic. I remember when first using a VCR I was afraid to turn it off in case my scheduled program didn't record, but that's what you had to do. Navigatr, welcome to 1980.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I too am finding this new "energy saving mode" a real annoyance. Why has Rogers taken control of if/when we shut down our equipment!!! I record tv shows on a separate dvd recorder, and this is causing a lot of issues!! 

Those steps suggested by the Rogers moderator on here to disable "energy saving mode" do not work to solve this problem. Yes, they are just guessing, as the other member suggested. 

I spoke to a Rogers online tech just now and he said there is no way to disable this energy saving mode on a Nextbox. He said this energy saving mode doesn't happen on a pvr. But if I am reading the postings here correctly, it seems to still happen with a pvr box? I don't want to waste any more money on rogers, buying a pvr box if this doesn't solve the problem.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Dear Rogers with all that tech you pay why can't you get thing's right. You should reupdate them box's and ad that check mark like an other device's that consumer buy. It look's like rogers just made it unlogical and esay way to do things. logical company thinking.  Why can't rogers make this problem the so called automatic energy saving feature and check mark box for on or off? Sound like to me it company don't even use there own device's.  Yes I . that this featue is even forced to be used. If i buy tv's computers monitors washing machine's or an device that has an feature  of this type has an setting to shut it off.  In the time of lossing cost of custmore's rogers is failing even more bye . I have two hd box's they are on most of the night and day. yes even after update's. listen to the radio stations sadlly mostly of toronto as other from other parts of ontario have been dumped. Anyway sleeping with the radio on the cable box work's for my house and my autims son's all three.  I would guess if rogers don't fix this I be using the internet for radio station's to listen too.  I am so glad I didn't get an hd pvr now wasted time money and space.  When my contract is up it going to be an long thinking about rogers next box's.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@pattistolar wrote:

I too am finding this new "energy saving mode" a real annoyance. Why has Rogers taken control of if/when we shut down our equipment!!! I record tv shows on a separate dvd recorder, and this is causing a lot of issues!! 

Before I had a PVR I used a DVD recorder and a couple of VCRs. Then, when I got an SA8300SD I found it had a "Copy to VCR" choice on the menu. At the time Rogers even had instructions on one of their on demand channels how to hook up a VCR or DVDR and do this. I seldom used the feature, but did make a couple of DVDs for friends and family who had missed a show. Strictly speaking, that was illegal. On my SA8300HD I can record either live or recorded shows to DVD. On the Nextboxes, though, there are no such menu items or instructions, so you have to figure it out for yourself. Since it's not a documented feature, Rogers does not have to support it. Nevertheless, introducing this "energy saving mode" to further complicate things when Rogers is having so many problems with these boxes and Navigatr seems very ill-advised. Everybody knows that when doing an experiment you only change one thing at a time and then observe what the effect is. Navigatr is one giant experiment and Rogers is changing half a dozen things at a time and expecting customers to sort things out.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How do you turn off energy saver mode? My box turns off every three hours if you don't change the channel

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Do you know how to turn the mode off?