cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The new Navigatr PVR software rolled out this morning, in select areas (Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga and Milton). I live in Aurora, and I guess that lumps us in with Newmarket, because my 8642HD's update started around 3:10AM this morning, and completed about 40 minutes later.

I should be happy, right?

Nope! The update WIPED MY DRIVE. It now shows "0% full". And none of my Scheduled Recordings were carried over.

I rebooted.. because you never know, might just be a first-time startup glitch. Nope, they're gone.

In anticipation of the update happening this AM, shortly after midnight, while still on the old Guide software, I took a video with my phone of me scrolling through my Recordings, so I'd know what I was missing (so I could try to find as much of it as I could online, if the need arose). My 500GB drive was 84.8% full, with over 100 recordings. Now it's empty.

I was able to do an online chat with a Rogers tech (@4:45AM) to alert them to the issue, and to implore them to stop the rollout of the software immediately - for everyone's sake. Of course, my complaint was the first they'd heard of it. "The software was tested extensively..." I was told. They always say that though..

Screenshots:

Before the Navigatr update:

4 hrs later, after Navigatr was installed:

Don't know what will happen next, but I will be amazed if they can somehow recover my drive.

Post if the same happened to you.

260 REPLIES 260

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

Just making sure.
As if you did have the extender.. un pluging and re pluging could possibly have it re-index it properly and add them back.

Stefan_DR
I've Been Here Awhile

I thought this thread was a joke... glad I clicked on it.  It is being rolled out in Ottawa now.

So what's the current state of affairs?  Everyone loosing recordings or just some people?  Does Rogers claim this is intended functionality or not?

websurferdude
I Plan to Stick Around

Stefan, i know some people did lose recordings but i did not (thank God) lose anything since receiving the Navigatr software some time on Thursday morning here in Toronto (North York).

I somehow doubt very much Rogers is going to claim any responsibility as to the lost programs - i had it happen to me 3 times under the old software until they rolled out version 5.1.1.0105.  That version was solid as a rock!

@Gdkitty i believe you said you haven't received Navigatr yet?

If you have, however, are you using the Rogers Seagate 1 TB. extender with it??  Or, when you get Navigatr, will you continue to use the extender??

I haven't used my Rogers extender since losing recordings on three seperate occasions - almost every 3 mos.!  I got a new box and discarded the extender.  Haven't lost any recording since then (knock on wood) - whether it's because of not using the extender or the release of RTN 5.1.1.0105 (when, btw, did that come out??) i can't tell.  Right now, i'm using it with my 8300HD in the livingroom as a duplicate just in case Navigatr starts acting up!

TIA.

No, i do not have navigatr yet.

And not sure if i will use the drive.

I originally got the drive with my NB2, when i was going away for vacation for 3 weeks to get extra storage.
Put it on my NB 3 when i got it.. and was working fine for the longest time.

NEVER lost a single recording/wipes/etc.. at all on the NB2 or 3... up until recently.  Lost a bunch of random recordings.. and the usage % went up.

I dont think it was an update or anything.
I did notice the week before, the drive was VERY noisey.. it more likley that the drive has failed.

With the NB3 using MPEG4 for recording now.. the 240h aprox is more than enough for me with the stock drive.

(i just havent bothered to dig the dive cabling out from where it is and actually TEST the drive, etc :P)

websurferdude
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Gdkitty for the quick reply!

How long had you been using the extender before it apparently went 'belly up'??

I was using the extender over a year ago on my 8300HD but had quite a few reboots with a 'FAIL' error message upon restart.  Just recently, i read that issue was quite widespread and that Rogers rectified the problem by issuing a patch.  Have you heard that to be the case??

As it is, i've been using the extender again for the last 2+ weeks or so on the 8300HD with no issues so far - mind you, it's on a different outlet but the outlet that had the problems originally has a very good signal to it (confirmed by Rogers several times)

TIA.

I got the drive just over 4 years ago i think?  So having that long of always on 24/7... yeah, its paid its due.

As for the 8300 for it.. couldnt tell you.  Not much of an expert on them anymore.  Havent had one since the NB2 box was out still with SARA.
(i had the most AFUL luck with the 8300... 4 units with bad HDDs over 5 years.

websurferdude
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow - that is bad luck.

I had probably one of the very first 8300SD boxes when they came out in Nov/03.  As a matter of fact, i bought one the very first day they were available to the public (for $600.00!)  

I had very good luck with the 8300 boxes, both SD & HD.  I think in 11 years i used them, i had 3 or 4 that needed replacing during that time.  The one i have now is a Shopping Channel refurb bought around Christmas '12 (bought the extender at the same time)

Hope when you finally get Navigatr, the download goes without incident as it appears to have in my case.  Are you in Toronto?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@websurferdude wrote:

I had probably one of the very first 8300SD boxes when they came out in Nov/03.  As a matter of fact, i bought one the very first day they were available to the public (for $600.00!)  

I had very good luck with the 8300 boxes, both SD & HD.  I think in 11 years i used them, i had 3 or 4 that needed replacing during that time.  The one i have now is a Shopping Channel refurb bought around Christmas '12 (bought the extender at the same time)

Hope when you finally get Navigatr, the download goes without incident as it appears to have in my case.  Are you in Toronto?

In 2009 I received a telemarketing call from Rogers offering me a free $400 (they said) PVR with just the monthly digital upcharge "because I have been a good long-time customer".  I almost hung up, but was curious and accepted. I had subscribed to Rogers Classic Combo Plus for years, but I missed channels like History, which I hoped to get with this package and couldn't justify paying another $10 a month for VIP just to get it. Turns out the new package cost less than what I'd been paying. This was a refurbished unit after they were no longer offered by Rogers. The first one had a flaky Maxtor drive, but the replacement with a Western Digital still works great. A couple of years ago I bought a Samsung Smart TV and wishing to take full advantage of it, I purchased a refurbished SA8300HD from Shopping Channel. Another wise decision in view of what Rogers offers today. I haven't seen any announcements of Navigatr being foisted on my area yet, but at least I'm protected.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

websurferdude
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, i love that i have a fall-back should Navigatr prove to be too much to handle!  The last update to the box was done in Nov/12 yet apparently, there has been patches to fix certain issues people had - eg. box rebooting with 'FAIL' on display and a continuous loop with the same error appearing.

I am duplicating my recordings for the next couple of weeks just to check Navigatr records all i've programmed it to - just for giggles, i went to check to see the 'record' light was on after 9 PM because i had a recording for that time - it was recording on the 8300HD box but not on the Nextbox???  Checked if it was set to record - it was but an hour later - checked guide to see if the program was on at that time - it is.  So we'll see if it gets recorded.  Another program set for 10 PM was not set to record even though i pretty sure i'd set it to do so - had to find it scheduled later tonight and set it to record!

Maybe i should do a reboot on the Nextbox and see if it fixes some little things i've noticed such as the above.

The update wiped my drive too. Needless to say but I will anyway, I was less than impressed. Also, I have a very difficult time reading the white font on the new background   Please add an option soon to allow the user to modify colour and font size.  Second also, I do not like the All Recordings bunching recorded with scheduled shows together. It is now more time consuming to filter through everything especially with the graphic view. I would like to see the list view returned. 

Because of where I live I'm stuck with Rogers. Seems to be problem after problem. 

It sure would be nice if they actually listened to users once in awhile 

Lulu

ps, it also took several reboots for my 2 PVRs to see each other. 

jlogicbud
I Plan to Stick Around

Well:

I guess, I can add myself to the list of users whom the latest update wiped my driver as well..

Hello @jlogicbud

Having the entire content your your PVR completely wiped out is definitely not a great experience. 😞 

We'd like to look into the issue with the recent update wiping your PVR hard drive. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps the next time you're online and we can take a closer look.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

Regards,

RogersTony

@jlogicbud: I haven't heard of the firmware wiping a drive in over a year.  Have you preformed a reboot to see if the "list" comes back.

What do you see when you go into the list?  Did you do a "Factory Reset" under "Troubleshooting" instead of a normal reboot?

Is the PVR recording properly now?

jlogicbud
I Plan to Stick Around

Great, now it's messed

Just tried a "factory reset" as 57 suggested and now I get the following message

"The User interface is currently not available. Attempting an automatic reload after 1 minute. If you continue to seee this message after multiple automatic reloads Please contact customer sevice 888-764-3771"

After 15 minutes of waiting, I unplugged it and it keeps coming back to the same message. Guess I'll call the number now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jlogicbud :  I did not ask you to do a Factory Reset. I was wondering if you did a Factory Reset because that will wipe your drive!

robmcj
I'm Here A Lot

Update wiped our drive 6 days ago. New Navigatr is slow & buggy. Unfortunately, it has also stopped playing back recordings, re-booting itself and when it's done - Voila - everything is gone.

This has happened multiple times in the past few days. @RogersHelps only advice is a factory reset, which accomplished nothing, as it both re-booted and erased everything again tonight.

Rogers forcing an update I don't want onto a device I paid for in full, really makes me angry. 

robmcj
I'm Here A Lot

For the record it's an Explorer 8642HD that Rogers Navigatr update has repeatedly wiped.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robmcj:

Since you've already had reboots, call Rogers and have them check the signal to your PVR.  Have the serial number handy.  Sometimes the newer firmware requires a better signal.

Also, try rebooting by unplugging the PVR for a few seconds. This can sometimes be different than the unit rebooting itself.  It'll take 5-10 minutes to reboot.

robmcj
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks 57. I've already unplugged, (Twice) and done both a reboot and a factory reset from the settings menu. Already dreading the call to Rogers ...

jlogicbud
I Plan to Stick Around

Becareful;

Since that fateful day, of resetting my PVR to factory, the next update looped my PVR! I really wish they would provide the same options as Microsoft and allow the users to decided what software updates they want. After all a PVR 3.0 is a $500 unit, food for thought!