cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The new Navigatr PVR software rolled out this morning, in select areas (Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga and Milton). I live in Aurora, and I guess that lumps us in with Newmarket, because my 8642HD's update started around 3:10AM this morning, and completed about 40 minutes later.

I should be happy, right?

Nope! The update WIPED MY DRIVE. It now shows "0% full". And none of my Scheduled Recordings were carried over.

I rebooted.. because you never know, might just be a first-time startup glitch. Nope, they're gone.

In anticipation of the update happening this AM, shortly after midnight, while still on the old Guide software, I took a video with my phone of me scrolling through my Recordings, so I'd know what I was missing (so I could try to find as much of it as I could online, if the need arose). My 500GB drive was 84.8% full, with over 100 recordings. Now it's empty.

I was able to do an online chat with a Rogers tech (@4:45AM) to alert them to the issue, and to implore them to stop the rollout of the software immediately - for everyone's sake. Of course, my complaint was the first they'd heard of it. "The software was tested extensively..." I was told. They always say that though..

Screenshots:

Before the Navigatr update:

4 hrs later, after Navigatr was installed:

Don't know what will happen next, but I will be amazed if they can somehow recover my drive.

Post if the same happened to you.

260 REPLIES 260

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

theClubHopper

@RogersStrick - can we also get an apology for the July 30th email with subject title: "Your NextBox™ Guide Has Been Enhanced! Find Out More".

trybe
I've Been Here Awhile
Nope sorry both of my owned Cisco Explorer 8642HD boxes still won't record giving a "duplicate recording" message....complete fail on your end!

@RogersStrick wrote:

Hi community,

Many of you saw the article in the Star this weekend about challenges with the rollout of the new Navigatr guide and unfortunately were left with the impression Rogers is blaming customers for the loss of PVR recordings. We apologize for the confusion because we know very well it was our human error. What we told the Star was that it was not an error in the coding of the guide itself, but a human error in our deployment of it that led to challenges for some customers with older set top boxes. It was our human error that caused those boxes to lose their saved shows, for example, and we are sorry this happened.

When our customers started to let us know about the issue we paused the rollout to make sure we could identify what had happened. We have now identified the error and fixed our process so that we can successfully continue the rollout of Navigatr in the coming weeks.

Thank you for being patient as we continue to focus our efforts on improving your TV experience.

RogersStrick

@RogersStrick Hopefully this apology was/will be in the Star as a stand-alone correction and in Ellen's next column, so that the other 99.9% of us in the GTA and beyond can read it.  A half-page Rogers ad would be nice too. preferably with a side-by-side comparison of the old vs new PVR guide.

I wonder what you mean by "successfully" ?  While you may soon find a way to prevent wiping out hard drives, the new guide is not considered to be a success from the people that matter, Rogers' soon-to-be-former customers. 

If Rogers truly wants to improve our TV experience, we beg you to put back the old guide while Rogers addresses the myriad of basic design faults and problems with Navikrap.  

Or better yet, combine the best of the old guide (and there are many esp the PVR mgmt)  with the new (the real-time banner & guide are OK, but PVR related stuff is terrible).

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor

@trybe  I don't know if this will help in your case , since I have 9865's.

Immediately after the Navigatr install, I had a similar problem.  The first scheduled recording for a couple of series was dropped from the schedule (on both machines).  When I tried to set up the series again, I got the "duplicate recording" message.  This is because it still had a register of the future recordings, and they were the duplicates.  I rescheduled the first recording as a single recording, and then the future recordings appeared the next week.

The other possibility is to try to delete all scheduled recordings and then reschedule the series.

trybe
I've Been Here Awhile
Unfortunately I cannot see any list of recordings and even if I pick a new show it won't record that either whether I recorded as an individual show or a series.

park
I'm an Advisor

Hi @trybe

If they are rented, take em back to the Rogers store.

Get a couple NB3s  and put them on the 3 yr $17/mo plan if you intend to stay w Rogers.

Plus they should offer a few discounts and freebees to keep you happy.

OOps - I see they are owned.. After you get em working, you may want to consider selling them.

IMHO- NB2s are even worse the the new software that tries to run on them.

You should get a PM from one of Rogers emplyees here.

Ask them how to do a factory reset.

WhyDidYouDoThis
I Plan to Stick Around

I just can't believe that they have the nerve to try to convince us that this new Navigatr is better than the older version. I have an Explorer 8642HD. It erased all my recorded shows + all the scheduled recordings. There no longer is a list available to see what has been recorded + also no list to see what has been scheduled to record. When I open a box to see what I have recorded or scheduled to record in a series the font is so small that I have to stand on top of the TV to read it.

I have yet to see anything that is an improvement but the list of the negatives has no end in sight. If I did something like this on my job I'd be on the street the very next day. But as we all very well know, the powers to be in Rogers could care less what we, the people who pay their wages, think about them.

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@WhyDidYouDoThis wrote:

I just can't believe that they have the nerve to try to convince us that this new Navigatr is better than the older version.

Considering the Orwellian double speak about Navigatr I'm surprised they haven't yet told us it's doubleplusgood.

Seriously though, claiming this is an improvement is surely false & misleading advertising.

Has anyone complained to the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services ?

Smedley
I'm Here A Lot
How long should the update take on a NextBox3. The status was DNLD when I left for work this morning and it still says that status. Just tried a reboot and its stuck on channel 05. Thoughts?

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around
Hard reboot. Take power out & wait 30 seconds.

roxandtreez
I'm a Senior Contributor
I had this happen last week. When I called support, the voice message said that as a routine procedure, they were re-authorizing my boxes. By the time I got through to a CSR, the update was complete. I suggest you try re-authorizing the boxes, either through the web site or by phoning in and see if that helps. Power off/on made no difference.

Smedley
I'm Here A Lot
Thanks. Re-authorizing did the trick

LouB
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey is it just me? my 8642HD has been STUCK on a 4:3 screen at 720p for 3 weeks now.

theClubHopper

@LouB With Navigatr, my 8642HD's 'Settings -> TV Type' setting always defaults to "4:3 SDTV" after the box is rebooted, but it seems to have no negative effect on the actual displayed picture/picture quality.

Are you saying yours is displaying at 4:3 even on HD channels, all the time?!

And a reboot hasn't fixed it?

theClubHopper

Yesterday (Fri Aug 21st) in Post #512 of the 'New Nextbox Nagivator' thread, member 'krap' posted that:

- his NB3 was wiped clear of recordings some time that same day

- the NB3 appeared to function properly afterwards

- a Rogers CSR authorized a PVR swap at the local Rogers store because it was likely to lose its recordings again in the future

- he was told "a lot of people" had similarly come in to that store that day to replace their boxes - indicating it wasn't an isolated incident.

- "apparently" there was an update to Navigatr that caused it and "some machines did not take"

In a follow-up post, krap clarified that this happened in Mississauga.

The CSR's alleged explanation is alarming and were it not for the supporting anecdote that the store had handled a lot of exchanges that day, a reader such as myself might be inclined to dismiss krap's drive wiping story as an isolated incident due to something like a corrupt

krap's already exchanged the NB3 for another -- but if there's someone else out there whose NB3 (or NB2) was "wiped" on Friday 21st, and you're still using it - can you please check what Navigatr software version and build date that PVR currently has?

To check:

- while watching tv, on the remote control (set to CBL), press [EXIT] for 4-5 seconds until a small icon on the front panel of the PVR starts flashing, then press [DOWN][DOWN][2]

- on the diagnostic page that opens, look at the 3rd line from the top of the screen and report back the Firmware Version, Date (mine, not updated since July 28th reports: "5.2.0.230  Tue Jun 16 2015, 11:20:30 PM GMT")

- press [EXIT] to exit the Diagnostics screens.

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Clubhopper: Isn't it easier to just hit Settings, Up Arrow (to get to Troubleshooting), and then right arrow to get to System Information?

VBDubGirl
I Plan to Stick Around

@billmcintyre That would be the easier way, but becaue of the blank Settings menu alot of the wiped boxes have, that's not a feasible option, sadly.

theClubHopper

@billmcintyre @VBDubGirl -- the method I gave requires fewer buton presses start to finish and provides additional info - the Firmwate Date. It's also quicker to access (6 secs vs 9 secs according to my timer) due to not having to wait for multiple menus to load.

Diagnostics: [EXIT, held][DOWN][DOWN][2] then [EXIT] to return to what you were watching

Settings: [SETTINGS][UP][OK][DOWN] then [EXIT][EXIT] to "" "".

robinwood
I Plan to Stick Around

spoke with someone at rogers recently who indicated my next box 2 which I own is out of warranty so they cannot replace it, are they nuts the box is fine they uploaded the faulty software that disabled it - not me - sabotage !!

anyway issues still abound and no better than when I left for 10 days vacation recently 

now a full month of essentially bad cable tv - and no resolution in sight - I do not not think we should pay for this

From you earlier msgs, it looks like your problems started a month ago with your programs got wiped

as part of the JULY 28 Navikrap launch. 

Rogers persons, you know the right thing to do.

Please PM  @robinwood so you can advise good Sir Robin on how to get his replacement box.  

Thanks @park Smiley Wink

Hi @robinwood,

I’d like to help in getting your issue resolved.

Addressing the issue you’ve described involves accessing your account. I’m going to send you a private message from @CommunityHelps, when you receive it please check your messages via the envelope icon which appears in the top right hand side of your screen when you are logged into the forums.

Thanks!

RogersMaude

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?