cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The new Navigatr PVR software rolled out this morning, in select areas (Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga and Milton). I live in Aurora, and I guess that lumps us in with Newmarket, because my 8642HD's update started around 3:10AM this morning, and completed about 40 minutes later.

I should be happy, right?

Nope! The update WIPED MY DRIVE. It now shows "0% full". And none of my Scheduled Recordings were carried over.

I rebooted.. because you never know, might just be a first-time startup glitch. Nope, they're gone.

In anticipation of the update happening this AM, shortly after midnight, while still on the old Guide software, I took a video with my phone of me scrolling through my Recordings, so I'd know what I was missing (so I could try to find as much of it as I could online, if the need arose). My 500GB drive was 84.8% full, with over 100 recordings. Now it's empty.

I was able to do an online chat with a Rogers tech (@4:45AM) to alert them to the issue, and to implore them to stop the rollout of the software immediately - for everyone's sake. Of course, my complaint was the first they'd heard of it. "The software was tested extensively..." I was told. They always say that though..

Screenshots:

Before the Navigatr update:

4 hrs later, after Navigatr was installed:

Don't know what will happen next, but I will be amazed if they can somehow recover my drive.

Post if the same happened to you.

260 REPLIES 260

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thank you.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can be my usual cheery self for a while longer.  Smiley Wink

park
I'm an Advisor

But nothing about unrolling it for those NB2 and NB3s  infected witth the new Navigarberator  virus.

ipalrosic
I Plan to Stick Around

As the infection is now nearly a week old and there is no treatment in sight from Rogers, perhaps the only medication available may turn out to be Fibe.

Although, I have to say, my personal experiences with the other corporate giant in this space were actually much worse.

It increasingly looks like streaming/Independent will be a way to go on the long run

Mississauga_Mav
I've Been Here Awhile

I have (2) 8642-HD3 units.

In addition to NAVIGATR wiping both drives, I have also experienced the following:

1. After using the SEARCH feature I got a grey screen and couldn't get back to any channel. None of the buttons worked and I had to turn the 8642 off and then back on again to get rid of the grey screen. I just tried again and Search worked properly but very slowly. 

2. I chose "Record the Series" to record "Beatles Anthology". Although there was an indicator that the first program in the series would be recorded, it failed to record. Furthermore, I don't see any future recordings that have been setup in "Manage Recording". I also can't see if any future recordings have been set up for Beatles Antholgy. I just set up a new series to record for LOCOMOTION and got a message that it had been setup successfully. We'll see tomorrow (Aug 4) if it works or not.

3. I selected the "More Like This" suggestion. The 8642-HD3 promply rebooted. Well I don't want any "More Like This". Today "More Like This" worked, although too slowly for my taste.

robinwood
I Plan to Stick Around

this will soon more trouble than it is worth - netflix has lots of stuff now ,and frankly i am getting to old to spend hours and hours trying resolve problems for the mega corp - I waant my stuff back - 

if 8642 has been diabled by software update that has nothing to do with hardware warranty issues, 

which is sort of joke anyway since the box only works with rogers in the first place - 

they should replace all 8642 with nb 3 no charge if they want to watch their programming , anyway there are only 

168 hours in the week so how much can anyone watch 

wrc