cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The new Navigatr PVR software rolled out this morning, in select areas (Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga and Milton). I live in Aurora, and I guess that lumps us in with Newmarket, because my 8642HD's update started around 3:10AM this morning, and completed about 40 minutes later.

I should be happy, right?

Nope! The update WIPED MY DRIVE. It now shows "0% full". And none of my Scheduled Recordings were carried over.

I rebooted.. because you never know, might just be a first-time startup glitch. Nope, they're gone.

In anticipation of the update happening this AM, shortly after midnight, while still on the old Guide software, I took a video with my phone of me scrolling through my Recordings, so I'd know what I was missing (so I could try to find as much of it as I could online, if the need arose). My 500GB drive was 84.8% full, with over 100 recordings. Now it's empty.

I was able to do an online chat with a Rogers tech (@4:45AM) to alert them to the issue, and to implore them to stop the rollout of the software immediately - for everyone's sake. Of course, my complaint was the first they'd heard of it. "The software was tested extensively..." I was told. They always say that though..

Screenshots:

Before the Navigatr update:

4 hrs later, after Navigatr was installed:

Don't know what will happen next, but I will be amazed if they can somehow recover my drive.

Post if the same happened to you.

260 REPLIES 260

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Replacing NB2s with NB3s would certainly fix a good part of the current problem. Even pushing an update replacing NAVIGATR with the old guide would be a huge step in th eright direction until NAV is fully debugged, implementing the many suggestions posted here.

Problem with the NB2s is that there are probably too many out there to replace. I can't believe they want $250 on Shopping Channel for refurbished ones. I paid them $160 (+tax and shipping) for a refurbished SA8300HD a year and a half ago that's still bug-free.

Just the fact that Rogers started rolling out NAV one area at a time tells me they hadn't ruled out problems with it.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Oldyellr,

Though they DID pick a pretty big area to start the roll-out with, Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga and Milton.  You;d think threy would have learnt by now and maybe started with say JUST Strathroy & Tillsonburg for example (and each new roll-out play fair by rotating who is used as gunea pigs).

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Update for today:

1. Rogers C/S Tech Dept (1-888-764-3771) phoned with automated message saying: "CASE #, regarding contact on July 28th - about PVR issue. Rogers is aware of the issue and working towards a resolution". Not really sure what that means - I've already been contacted by a human and told recordings aren't able to be recovered.

2. It's 6:15PM and I have not yet received the "tomorrow, during the day" phone call that was promised yesterday from someone I was later told was in "the office of the president". Phone me ANY time.. I really want to speak to you!

3. Bell phoned again, to "sweeten the deal" they offered, unsolicited, on Tuesday. I told them what I told them the other day, I will make no decision until I speak with Rogers management. Bell is circling like vultures... can you blame them?

lgarey
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it took a few days. But the call came. The first offer of 6 videos I would not entertain, considering I did not only lose my recordings but I can't access settings, need to enter parental control pin everytime I turn the box on, described video is locked on and closed captioning is inaccessible.

Then they offered $15 credit. Nope, cuz I need a new box! I explained my problem, my perspective that I'm not accepting a different nextbox 2, because they can't guarantee that it will work any better.

It took a while, but they're dealing with a huge problem, and a huge amount of people. It is a major screw up from rogers. They're going to need to do a lot of fixes before they make it work well, but I am happy that they did what they could to make it right for me for now.

neilpalmer400
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Igarey,

It's like denied boarding compensation at the gate at the airport.

You don't volunteer for the $50 travel voucher, you hold out until they offer the return flight anywhere in North America, 10,000 frequent flier points, a $50 meal voucher for the airport restaurants and a first class seat on the next available flight.

I also own my 8642HD, and the update wiped my recordings. There is nothing unusual or extraordinary, that prohibits a user from saving some favoured documentaries or other shows, and watching them (even repeating) at future dates. The pvr prohibits distribution, but for personal use, it is all legally permitted.

Since I own my pvr, I do not recall agreeing to, signing or accepting that rogers can and will unilaterally access and damage my property in the process.....

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@lgarey wrote:

Well it took a few days. But the call came. The first offer of 6 videos I would not entertain, considering I did not only lose my recordings but I can't access settings, need to enter parental control pin everytime I turn the box on, described video is locked on and closed captioning is inaccessible.

Then they offered $15 credit. Nope, cuz I need a new box! I explained my problem, my perspective that I'm not accepting a different nextbox 2, because they can't guarantee that it will work any better.

It took a while, but they're dealing with a huge problem, and a huge amount of people. It is a major screw up from rogers. They're going to need to do a lot of fixes before they make it work well, but I am happy that they did what they could to make it right for me for now.

It's really sad that each customer has to haggle individually with Rogers reps for compensation. Think of the time wasted with people waiting on hold when reps could be solving real problems. It's like dealing with car salesmen.  Some people will get sweet deals while others nothing if they're not agressive enough.  Rogers should just come up with an official compensation package of a number of options.

This is a grey area argument which has come up a number of times in the past..

For an OWNED device... i would 100% agree, that if say an update does something IREPERABLE to the unit.. completely bricks it to un usable, etc.  That rogers.. inside or outside of waranty, should be fixing, replacing, etc the unit.

But for the case of the recordings, etc..
Thats where the grey comes in.
While you do own the unit itself, you don't own any of the CONTENT on it.
Paying for the service, you pay for a license to WATCH the show/movie/whatever on tv.  The PVR allows you to record that to view later.   But you technically do not OWN that content.. so technically is no loss 😞
(i am NOT saying this is right/wrong, just stating facts)

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

But if you bought a CD or DVD that turned out to be defective, it would be replaced, no questions asked.  What this basically is, is Rogers selling you content, then destroying it before you've seen it (presuming it can't be recovered).

kso
I Plan to Stick Around
Rogers isnt selling you ie The Walking Dead if you want to keep season 1-4 then you're expected to go out and purchase it paying the studio for those episodes. Not hoard it on a pvr.

Nzft6l
I've Been Here Awhile
We have the same problem. All of the recordings are gone. There is a series that we record and then watch it all at once. Also some movies and other miscellaneous stuff. Really not impressed at all. We pay a fortune for the TV package and now don't get to watch season 2 of a good show. Can't wait to see what happens when they roll out the next part of the upgrade.

Nzft6l
I've Been Here Awhile
We hate the new look too. It's actually hard to read the screen. Wish they had tested this whole thing more. Hate the new look plus all our recordings are wiped out.

park
I'm an Advisor

How about, asking/telling Rogers to put the series on VOD so you can watch !

Nzft6l
I've Been Here Awhile
We absolutely agree. Upgrading the guide service shouldn't wipe out all the recordings we have. Rogers should absolutely compensate but they won't.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@krap wrote:

That would work. But all the ROD shows cost Rogers licensing fees, which may be a whole lot more than giving the occasional irate customer some free movies.

park
I'm an Advisor

Rogers will pay whatever fees for you to see whatever you've already paid for but never got to enjoy because of their screw-up.  They are offering to comp if you look back at some of the earlier posts.

Nzft6l
I've Been Here Awhile
Have you tried calling Rogers? It can take upwards of 45 minutes to get through, you often are on the phone with someone who doesn't have the authority to make decisions.

park
I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@krap wrote:

That would work. But all the ROD shows cost Rogers licensing fees, which may be a whole lot more than giving the occasional irate customer some free movies.

Plus losing a customer costs Rogers a whole lot more !

park
I'm an Advisor

I get through quickly. PM me for the 2 magic words to say.

However the last post will give you a clue.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

But what if the shows you recorded and they deleted are not available on ROD at any price? The other day I made a suggestion on Idea Box that Rogers should be archiving EVERYTHING in the even that a customer loses their recordings through no fault of their own, so they can repopulste their PVR.

park
I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

But what if the shows you recorded and they deleted are not available on ROD at any price? The other day I made a suggestion on Idea Box that Rogers should be archiving EVERYTHING in the even that a customer loses their recordings through no fault of their own, so they can repopulste their PVR.

Great idea...  If they continue rolling-out Navigarberator for more areas, they should do exactly that.

And BTW they should do also do that before they roll-back to the old system, given recnt events.

Dunno Rogers internals, but they may already know what you have recorded.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!