cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The new Navigatr PVR software rolled out this morning, in select areas (Newmarket, Oshawa, Ajax, Brampton, Mississauga and Milton). I live in Aurora, and I guess that lumps us in with Newmarket, because my 8642HD's update started around 3:10AM this morning, and completed about 40 minutes later.

I should be happy, right?

Nope! The update WIPED MY DRIVE. It now shows "0% full". And none of my Scheduled Recordings were carried over.

I rebooted.. because you never know, might just be a first-time startup glitch. Nope, they're gone.

In anticipation of the update happening this AM, shortly after midnight, while still on the old Guide software, I took a video with my phone of me scrolling through my Recordings, so I'd know what I was missing (so I could try to find as much of it as I could online, if the need arose). My 500GB drive was 84.8% full, with over 100 recordings. Now it's empty.

I was able to do an online chat with a Rogers tech (@4:45AM) to alert them to the issue, and to implore them to stop the rollout of the software immediately - for everyone's sake. Of course, my complaint was the first they'd heard of it. "The software was tested extensively..." I was told. They always say that though..

Screenshots:

Before the Navigatr update:

4 hrs later, after Navigatr was installed:

Don't know what will happen next, but I will be amazed if they can somehow recover my drive.

Post if the same happened to you.

260 REPLIES 260

Re: NAVIGATR UPDATE **WIPED MY DRIVE**

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

I received the Navigatr update this morning. I can say that none of my recordings were wiped. This is on a 9865 and it would be interesting to know if anyone with a 9865 has lost recordings. All the ones reported so far have been identifed as happening on the 8642.

The revamped Recording screen is a total disaster and a huge retrograde. The previous Recordings page had lines of the 6 most recent recordings.  For each one there was the complete title, date, start time and duration and highlighting each line provided additional information including channel. Now, one has an arrangement of 6 portrait format boxes containing only a highly truncated title at the top and a 'New' indication at the bottom. No other information whatsoever! To find the recording you want, each box has to be opened to get any additional information.  

Another flaw I have experienced is when I select Resume for a recording, about 50% of the time it goes back to the start.

The only pro. I have found at all is that the elapsed time bar is nicely slimmed down but it still stays on too long - about 10seconds.

Redbird74
I've Been Here Awhile

I've also had this problem. 0% Full when showing recorded shows. 

Model: 8642HD

Jellico
I've Been Here Awhile

Sadly after reading all these post I have to conclude that my PVR has been completely wiped, all 94% and change of it, zapped by this "new navigatr crapola update". The very least they, rogers, could have given a heads up on the change and an opportunity to OPT OUT!

Like OLDYELLR wrote

"Could you just imagine the uproar if Microsoft pushed through an update that wiped out cstomers' hard drives? This is absolutely irresponsible and unacceptable!"

And I could not agree more.

What the heck was wrong with the other interface? Reminds me of how the govt operates. Some talking head comes up with a bright idead that is really a non-starter to begin with and to justify their salary pushes on a project that touts progress but is really a lame duck.

If there was a feature on the pvr to refuse updates I'll have that turned on.

Man I'm really teed-off

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

So what I'm reading here and on Digital Home, it's the 8642 (NB2) PVRs that got wiped and the NB3 just messed up a bit. So much for Rogers beta testing before release.  But it's not unusual for older hardware to be overlooked when new software is released.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

HarleyMama
I've Been Here Awhile
Although going forward GdKitty I am sure the support is not going to be there for the NB2's and the damage has been done.

Cecoots
I've Been Around

Two NB2s.  Both wiped.  Why do the big cable companies continually create problems for their customers.  The only time they care about you is when you are with the competitors and they want you back.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@HarleyMama wrote:
Although going forwardGdKitty I am sure the support is not going to be there for the NB2's and the damage has been done.

Here's what would be a brilliant PR move by Rogers. Rather than just apologizing, upgrade all customers' NB2s to NB3s at no increase in cost. Lots of damage control to do out there.

abelew
I've Been Around

My PVR was 90% full. 1TB drive. Cisco Explorer 8642HD. Now 0% full. Wiped clean this morning of all existing recordings and all scheduled recording info.

Redbird74
I've Been Here Awhile
I'm giving it a few days before being really disappointed. This may be the result of a problem with the software and recognizing the old recordings rather than our recordings actually being erased. We'll see over the next few days.

Tmothy12
I'm a Regular

Just discovered I have the new guide, 9865, nothing was wiped. However, I had to get the box replaced recently due to it failing recently so it's only 8% full.

kso
I Plan to Stick Around
sounds like it's only happening to the 8642

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

To paraphrase from another event, Rogers should show up to our (hopefully long away) funerals so they can let us down one final time!

BigDG
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm like everyone else - PVR wiped.

So now that it can't be fixed - I'd like the conversation to turn to what are we going to be given as compensation . . .    Has anyone heard anything yet?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BigDG as far as compensation, here's what I think:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

The Nextbox 2's are slow and obviously not compatible with the new stuff Rogers is rolling out.

I also made a suggestion in Ideabox how Rogers could archive programming in a cloud so customers could restore wiped and failed PVRs.

But to look on the bright side, I did see someone post that this could be just a glitch in the update, making recordings invisible, that could be reversed by a subsequent update. If not, then this has to rank as the biggest disaster I can remember, bigger than all the Nextbox 3 irritations many customers are having.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @BigDG

I think Maybe a small fee can be reduced or a one months free box rental ( if u rent ur PVR) would be good. Or even upgrading ur boxes to the new ones would be amazing seeing as the older ones are being sold. 

Again it seems only the 8642PVRS are having this issue.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Customers pay for the experience, not to own the shows and movies recorded. I have no sympathy for hoarders, but having recent recordings wiped before they can be viewed is inexcusable. With more and more people "cutting the cord" because they can find all their favourite shows on line, Rogers ought to be in damage control mode, offering incentives to retain customers.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

A few years ago when there was the great debacle with a SARA update on the 8300 PVRs and we lost all of our recordings, Rogers did give us a a $50 credit. In no way did it compensate us for the loss of our recordings, but it was something.

@OLDYELLR Your idea of a free, no charge upgrade to the NB3 for all customers who have a NB2 is indeed a wonderful suggestion. 

The question still remains though. What is Rogers going to do about this current situation? I am sure that there are many who would like to know. Are they going to continue rolling out updates in new areas or will they postpone any further updates until this issue has been resolved? Only Rogers can address this and we need to hear from Rogers!

if you call support (45min wait) and explain the situation they tell you that an automated callback will explain the situation they are also offering a small compenstation for your loss. at least that what they did for me.

I would rather have had all my settings for scheduled recordings back though.

TL
I Plan to Stick Around
Can also confirm that on my 8642 also lost all my recordings and scheduled recordings. Was looking forward to an update but not to losing my recordings.

i have both boxes....only lost pvr recordings on the nb2...nb3 recordings are fine...but i miss the play all feature...why would they remove features is what i want to know.....did they not do any testing? get it together rogers!

Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello - I am in Ajax with two NB2 8642's that were converted to the Navigatr system last night.  I have lost all my recordings - many movies and series we were lined up to watch on the separate PVRs.  We also lost all our upcoming recordings and favourites, etc.  It is like a new box was provided.  How could Rogers not have tested this with 8642's.  I have been on the phone with Rogers for over an hour now.  Tech Support said that they could not recover the information but could provide a small credit.  I have to believe that the recordings are still on the hard drive and Rogers needs to implement a software change to recover these.  This is the best solution.  If not possible, then I would like to have Shomi for a year to make up for all my lost recordings.  I am sure I lost more than I will gain from having access to these.  If that is not possible, there are other TV providers....  I am now waiting to speak to a supervisor.  I am extremely disappointed in this performance.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!