Mystery upload Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Mystery upload Usage

I use  a steady 3-5 GB  Download per weekday and ~  1 GB upload  per day. This usuage has been consistent over 3 years However ,between Nov 14-Nov 16 inclusive I had upload usage of 6.5-+7 GB per day. which is unexplainable since I was on vacation that week . I do use a  reuter but it is has a security password , and really not accessible. With that in mind, has anyone experienced a random and unexplained spike on UPload usage  using Rogers interent??   Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Mystery upload Usage

@spiboy1:

I am a Rogers wireless RocketHub customer, and my monthly free data usage is an "enormous" 3Gb!  I cannot even visualize doing the daily data volumes you mention in your posting.

That being said, I would carefully examine what is going through your router, who/what is connected to it, and using its bandwidth, as well as what is happening on the computers you have that you know are legitimately connected to and using your router.

The router will likely have some tools and logging capabilities on it that identify who/what is actually connected to it, and perhaps using its dhcp functions to obtain IP addresses.  I would begin there, to ensure that only computer and devices you recognize are connected to and using the router.

Beyond that, you can find tools to run on your PC's that will list the IP connections being made from your PC.  Let's say you have some malware/spambot/trojan on your computer that is using its facilities in the background, without your knowledge.  You need to list and identify the IP connections from your computer into the network to confirm that only legitimate IP activity is occuring on your PC's.

Actually identifying what is happening on your computers can be a bit challenging.  I have used a free program called Win IP Config to check into this kind of thing.  It is available for free here:

http://www.pkostov.com/software.html

It is a Windows program and I find it very useful for a variety of functions which I formerly had to get from the Command Line ipconfig command.

If you run other OS software such as Mac or Linux, they each have their own tools for this kind of thing.

I suggest that you need to do at least an initial investigation to make sure all that is happening on your router is legitimate and sanctioned/permitted by you.

Give us another post in this thread with more info or questions, and we can comment further.

Good luck!

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

I must admit I've been very happy with Rogers Service and do not mind paying for services that I use.  But  I am really annoyed  at the  **bleep** Poor Level of Customer service  when I was trying to get both an explanation and resolution  to this matter.   I spend in the neighbour hood of  $ 600.00 for combined services and to be told " it not our problem " is really  up.   

I'm an Advisor

@spiboy1:

the old cliche is "when the going gets tough, the tough get going!"  And that goes several ways.

What do we do when we encounter problems?

What does Rogers do when its customers present it with problem support situations?

This Forum is replete with examples of reactions from both.  By that I mean, Rogers customers helping each other to solve problems, with varying amounts of persistence shown by both the advisors and the advised.

And there are also examples of Rogers customers not having their issues resolved by the company they had expected to help them find  answers to technical matters important to them.

So maybe now we know more about the corporate character of Rogers.  Could it  be that the Rogers corporate philosophy is more about making money than serving the needs of the customers?  Could it be that the bottom line drives Rogers corporate priorities above all other issues?  Perhaps in Mr. Rogers neighbourhood, the stockholder is more important than the customer!

The old adage is "follow the money!"  This is one clear example.  What really is in it for Rogers if helping you resolve your problem just reduces their revenues in addition to costing them money directly to resolve the problem/issue.

And our governments are totally on side too.  Reduce the Rogers take, and the government take in terms of GST/HST is also reduced.  So, why should any of the big players in this help out the consumer?

I guess each of us Rogers customers needs to answer that question based on our personal experiences and perceptions.  As has been said: "perception is reality".  And, if there is grass on the other side, is it really greener?

So, you need to vote with your feet.  You need to vote not only as a consumer of communications services.  You also need to vote at the ballot box, federally and provincially, to let our politicians know that this situation is not only intolerable, it is totally counterproductive for Canada.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Ii may have figured it out.     While not  familiar with  upload bandwidth usage ,  is it posttible that uploading 135  digital prictures would  use   17 G ? LOL  Aslo , I am being informed that someone someine tried to use my coputer to send 3 massive Digital  Picture files.. so I suspect that may very well be the culprit.

I'm an Advisor

@spiboy1:

if somebody uploaded 135 digital pictures, then, by my calcuations, that is an average of 125 MB per picture, to get a total of 17 GB.

Personally I do a little bit of work with digital pictures, and, my camera is relatively old and certainly not very sophisticated.  It's picture (.jpg) files are just over 3MB in size.

So, either these 125 MB pictures come from a very fancy camera (beaucoup de megapixels!), or there was a lot of post-processing done on them to expand their file sizes.

I have been taking digital photos since early 2005.  The total of all my picture taking from then til now is under 10 GB!

Files that are hundreds of MB in size could be video, but I doubt if they would be digital photo files.

So, draw your own conclusions.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Well  I finnaly resovled the issue with Rogers. I  bumped my plan to Extreme + 150 G/month and they  waived the 17 G in Upload for this month  . But what seems  strange is the first time I tried to do this I was informed that I needed to upgrade my router , which I didn't want to since I just purchased it 3 months ago , and toiight the processed the order without requiring a reuter /modem upgrade..   I have a funny felling something is not quite right 🙂   

I've Been Here Awhile

I am brand new to rogers.  Have had service less than one month-approx 20 days.  They sent me a message 2 days ago saying I was over my 80GB limit.  When I went online to check my useage it told me I had used 29GB downloading and 54GB uploading.  I have no idea what could possibly be using all this upload data.  My son plays PS3 and we use netflix occasionally and youtube, but nothing else I can think of.  Anyone know what could be using so much upload?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you uploading anything? to youtube, facebook, etc.

Is ANYONE running anything that uses peer to peer.  Any form of bittorent file sharing?  Or even some games now like WoW use P2P to download patches, etc.

One other thing could be as well, if something is infected with some form of virus, it could be uploading stuff continualy.