My phone is being held hostage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

My phone is being held hostage

Rogers is refusing to unlock my phone unless I pay my account, but I don't owe anything.  I cancelled my account and paid the pro rated amount due, but they want me to pay the full amount due and they will refund the difference some time later.  I am extremely frustrated!!!

***Edited Labels*** 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: My phone is being held hostage

Is this something that @CommunityHelps could facilitate or clarify? @hemi Consider private messaging using the envelope in the top right corner and asking for help.

Bruce

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

One of the conditions to have your phone unlocked is to pay everything due on your account. So your options are:

1) pay your unlocking fee and whatever is owing, and wait for the refund to be issued; this would allow you to unlock your phone straight away

2) wait for your last bill to be issued and any prorated credits to be applied, and then take care of the unlocking; you might have to wait a few weeks for this depending on what your bill cycle is

Honestly if you're that frustrated and adamant about having your phone unlocked just go with the first option.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @hemi,

I apologize for the inconvenience this is causing you. @lockdown2341 is right in stating that the full amount owing must be paid in order to clear the account and the unlocking fee. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

A small piece of advice to people planning to cancel and wanting to unlock your phone.  Get the unlock done before you process the cancellation. As long as it is past 90 days if a subsidized phone and your account is current, you can get it unlocked.  You can actually sometimes run into issues if you try to unlock the cancellation goes through.

I think you are caught in the issue that your account is not current (i.e., fully paid) in order to get the unlock done.  That is not Rogers only - that is the way the CRTC rules define how it can be done and conditions where a company can decline to proceed.

I don't actually unlock through Rogers, I use third party unlock companies and have never had an issue.

Bruce