My PVR Extender doesn't play shows

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My PVR Extender doesn't play shows

This has happened about 4 times since I bought the unit from Rogers.

I have about 1/3 of the 1TB filled and I go to play a show and it just goes to the playback channel and nothing plays.

I unplugged and reinstalled and go the message your extender  works with this PVR press select. But when I go to play the show ....nothing. If I record something new right now it will play back fine as happened before I had to go and delete all the previous recordings and start fresh again. Very frustrated with this quality of equipment.

Does anybody else have the same problem and is there a fix? I only had it for about 6 months and maybe I should try to take it back!

***Edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: My PVR Extender doesn't play shows

I have a similar problem. PVR Explorer 8300HD and PVR Extender bought from Rogers.

Recently, probably since the PVR latest upgrade (Cisco software), all my recordings that were residing on the PVR Extender are not accessible anymore, they are still on the List, but once I try to play them, I just get the "Playback Channel". Recordings resident on the PVR can be played back quite ok.

I've done various full reboots of PVR and Extender, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

Call Rogers and complain.  They have been aware of this problem for a couple of months now.

I called and they said they are working on a fix. Don't hold your breath.  Perhaps time to switch to Bell!!!

I've Been Around

I'm having the same problem. I've had this PVR and PVR extender for about a year and a half and never had any problems until a month or two ago. Now it will only play back recently recorded shows -- anything that I taped more than a couple of days ago won't play back. I called Rogers and they said that it was a problem in my area (I'm in Beacon HIll in Ottawa) and that there was nothing I could do and they were working on the problem.

Then, a couple of days ago, it stopped taping shows and I couldn't use the fastforward or rewind functions while watching live TV. I called Rogers about that problem and and was told to unplug the Extender from the PVR and then plug it in again and that seemed to help -- but the first problem still exists. Very strange and very annoying.

Anyone find any solutions?

I've Been Here Awhile

See my post #1 at the link below  re PVR Extenders/​Expanders not working, which i diagnosed my problem to be, which sounds similar to yours.  If Rogers knows there are problems with their own Rogers extenders (about twice the price of the WD expanders) they should stop selling them until the problem is resolved

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Though we had the initial firmware update last November and not experienced any difficulties, I am sad to say that is no longer the case.

Last night our PVR rebooted and I assume that Rogers was once again screwing around with updates. This time, we lost almost everything on our eHDD. Recording space went from 46% to 3%. Over 200 shows were lost. The only shows now available are a few from before the initial update last November and what was recorded after 2:00 AM this morning. Despite numerous calls and complaints from angry customers, Rogers continues to play these silly games and pretend like nothing is wrong. 

Well something is wrong Rogers. You have messed up with a firmware update that was never properly tested. You have pissed off a lot of customer and I am one of them. This may be the straw that broke the camel's back. We have 4 services with Rogers but will eventually (once contracts expire) be looking for someone who can provide decent service. 

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@

Currently no known Firmware upgrades had been scheduled for last evening.

What is the make and model of your Digital PVR box?

Regardless of whether or not an update was scheduled, the box rebooted by itself around 2:00 AM.  It is an SA8300 HD. I have already called technical support and they have set up a ticket, but I am not hopeful that the shows will ever be recovered.

Your post brings up the possibility of another issue RogersHemal. I just finished reading posts from another forum indicating problems with the HD PVR randomly rebooting. 

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=136531

Since no updates were apparently scheduled, could this be what we experienced? In the past 10 days, the HD PVR has rebooted 3-4 times during the early morning. Would this also indicate the need to replace the PVR?

I Plan to Stick Around

Anyone who believes they have a problem due to the latest firmware update, might want to read through this thread at Digital Home Canada.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@Hooter

If this is not the first time this has occured I would advise to exchange the box if you are renting it.  I would wait for a response back on that ticket created though to see what the outcome is.  The 8300 does have some issues at this time for some users.

I have 2 8300 PVR's which has worked fine for the past 3 years so this issue only occurs for some customers.